The D&D thread

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I don't play D&D, but we've had a board game night every week for 4+ years now. Lost 2 people from the table last year, one to suicide, one to stage 3 Hodgkin's. I will definitely say that no one prepares you for that, and it's definitely one of the worst things.

Like, I miss my grandparents and all, but it's a different deal when you've had someone you've cleared dungeons with and seen every week just be an empty chair the next week.

No one ever talks about the fact that you can just be in your 40s and your friends can just up and fuckin die. It's kinda crazy.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I don't play D&D, but we've had a board game night every week for 4+ years now. Lost 2 people from the table last year, one to suicide, one to stage 3 Hodgkin's. I will definitely say that no one prepares you for that, and it's definitely one of the worst things.

Like, I miss my grandparents and all, but it's a different deal when you've had someone you've cleared dungeons with and seen every week just be an empty chair the next week.

No one ever talks about the fact that you can just be in your 40s and your friends can just up and fuckin die. It's kinda crazy.
That sums it up exactly man. Me and my friends are are all early 40s now. And my buddy who passed we've played EQ and WoW and d&d since we were 16. Yeah that empty chair now sits in my dinning room.

I'm tucking his character sheet into his casket.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone seen Delicious in Dungeon? It's pretty funny. A DnD based cartoon where the adventurers lose all of their treasure and start eating the monsters.

I watched the first episode but I won't be watching another.

I can understand that some like it, but I hate campy 'D&D' content. Maybe if there was more D&D-like epic storytelling I could appreciate the goofy shit once in awhile, but quality fantasy material is exceptionally rare.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first episode but I won't be watching another.

I can understand that some like it, but I hate campy 'D&D' content. Maybe if there was more D&D-like epic storytelling I could appreciate the goofy shit once in awhile, but quality fantasy material is exceptionally rare.
I thought I was going to hate it when I started. Then I laughed and I thought the premise of eating everything in the dungeon would wear thin. So far it hasn't. It helps that this is how my wife is playing her character. When we kill something she wants to skin it and eat it. DM won't let us eat humanoids.

They can't all be vox machina. But if you know of others of that quality, post them here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure Tencent is a positive?
I’m so over Hasbro it’s whatever. I’d rather see Fantasy Flight/ Asmodee pick it up but either way at its current pace it’s going to die regardless due to homebrew and other systems just releasing better content.

maybe with Larian also being involved it’ll end up being a good thing, too early to tell yet.

Last edited:
  • 1Weird Boner

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I’m so over Hasbro it’s whatever. I’d rather see Asmodee pick it up but either way at its current pace it’s going to die regardless due to homebrew and other systems just releasing better content.

maybe with Larian also being involved it’ll end up being a good thing, too early to tell yet.
What's another morsel of Western culture sold to China I guess.

• 1Tiresome

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They were looking to sell "that tabletop stuff" since 2020.

COVID delayed things, then their cashflow problems came around.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
They were looking to sell "that tabletop stuff" since 2020.

COVID delayed things, then their cashflow problems came around.
That's because D&D and probably Magic were at their peak during Covid.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Finished my first ever campaign as a DM. Took about 9 months to go through Frozen Sick and Call of the Netherdeep for 4 players. Was fun...they got the good ending and seemed happy with my DMing.

Now we're moving to another DM for a heavily modified (so he says) Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Then I think the other DM is doing Tyranny of Dragons and we're talking about me doing Tomb of Annihilation as a lead-in to the new Vecna campaign.

A RL group of friends have expressed interest in a game, too. I might run them through Phandalin or just do the Netherdeep again for them...something I know and won't have to do a lot of weekly prep for.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Finished my first ever campaign as a DM. Took about 9 months to go through Frozen Sick and Call of the Netherdeep for 4 players. Was fun...they got the good ending and seemed happy with my DMing.

Now we're moving to another DM for a heavily modified (so he says) Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Then I think the other DM is doing Tyranny of Dragons and we're talking about me doing Tomb of Annihilation as a lead-in to the new Vecna campaign.

A RL group of friends have expressed interest in a game, too. I might run them through Phandalin or just do the Netherdeep again for them...something I know and won't have to do a lot of weekly prep for.
Hey that's great dude!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users