The D&D thread

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I keep seeing these "perfect bound reprints" of old dnd books on ebay. The description always say wizards approved or some BS. But all I see are blurry messes thst aren't much cheaper then the originals lol

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I keep seeing these "perfect bound reprints" of old dnd books on ebay. The description always say wizards approved or some BS. But all I see are blurry messes thst aren't much cheaper then the originals lol
Those are print-on-demand books from the DMsGuild and DrivethruRPG. The Ebay sellers are just buying those PoD books in bulk and marking them up. DMsGuild, etc are legitimately great sources for books that are out-of-print and have gotten obscenely expensive. They don't have everything available, but the selection is large and more options are regularly added. They even compile stuff like the old 1st/2nd edition boxed sets into a single hardback.

I've purchased a couple dozen and most of them are very high-quality. Including the scans of old books, but there are a few where the scans were lazily done and the product ended up terrible.

Just read the reviews on the books you're interested in and you should be good to go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Those are print-on-demand books from the DMsGuild and DrivethruRPG. The Ebay sellers are just buying those PoD books in bulk and marking them up. DMsGuild, etc are legitimately great sources for books that are out-of-print and have gotten obscenely expensive. They don't have everything available, but the selection is large and more options are regularly added. They even compile stuff like the old 1st/2nd edition boxed sets into a single hardback.

I've purchased a couple dozen and most of them are very high-quality. Including the scans of old books, but there are a few where the scans were lazily done and the product ended up terrible.

Just read the reviews on the books you're interested in and you should be good to go.
That sounds way better. I've never purchased any of them myself. I'm still working on collection of 4e books. I just need 3 more for the entire set. But there's plenty of old 2e and 3e ones om going to look for on there now. Thanks dude

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff

There has been a lot tossed around about this for the past month, but more and more is leaking about this now. I'm no law-wrangler, but the analysis above from a purported law person is not encouraging.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

There has been a lot tossed around about this for the past month, but more and more is leaking about this now. I'm no law-wrangler, but the analysis above from a purported law person is not encouraging.

Even more reason to drop dnd for other options.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I read a blurb on Discord (yeah yeah... bastion of journalism that...) that Owlcat was given a head's up about this more than a year ago and that's partly why they decided to effectively abandon Pathfinder and charge headlong into the Warhammer: Rogue Trader system.

I do think that the OGL has led to people being lazy about system design. I've recently been reading the Through the Breach game system from Wyrd and its a genuinely different game system that has connective tissue to the White Wolf Storyteller system with a hearty dose of Deadlands thrown in and a strong emphasis on shared narrative rather than tactical combat. I find the setting more interesting than the system, but there are quite a few concepts built into their system that I really like and have ideas about adapting myself.

We need more of this.

EDIT

Here's a nice retrospective on the last time this sort of thing happened 20+ years ago:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I read a blurb on Discord (yeah yeah... bastion of journalism that...) that Owlcat was given a head's up about this more than a year ago and that's partly why they decided to effectively abandon Pathfinder and charge headlong into the Warhammer: Rogue Trader system.

I do think that the OGL has led to people being lazy about system design. I've recently been reading the Through the Breach game system from Wyrd and its a genuinely different game system that has connective tissue to the White Wolf Storyteller system with a hearty dose of Deadlands thrown in and a strong emphasis on shared narrative rather than tactical combat. I find the setting more interesting than the system, but there are quite a few concepts built into their system that I really like and have ideas about adapting myself.

We need more of this.

EDIT

Here's a nice retrospective on the last time this sort of thing happened 20+ years ago:

Man I never played Deadlands, but I always wanted to because the settings just so coo just couldn't get any of my buddies on board. I have no earthly idea how their game system is. I guess the only things I've really heavily played was d&d versions from second to 5th, MERP, and Rifts. I had more Rifts books than anything else. Unfortunately their system was pretty goddamn clunky. I don't know if they ever revised it at some point, but to me it was the coolest tabletop RPG setting ever.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I posted a bit of this in the Solasta thread, but it's more relevant here:

With the huge amount of backlash that this is receiving I have a hard time believing that it will stand. Following through with the revocation of the OGL would go down in the Hall of Shame as one of the dumbest business decisions of all time.

P.S. Revoking the OGL will never stand in court for reasons that I am not going to bother writing a 3,000 word post to explain. WotCs hope is that they can intimidate people into submission because if they can't win on the merits, they can bleed most, if not all, creators dry before they get their day in court.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am curious about what Mercer and the Critical Role folks think about this.

I am a small fan of those guys but god they are bad at the tactical partd of the game and quite a few of them are insufferable cunts much of the time.

I think I enjoy the recaps of the episodes and the focus on the cool parts much more than the long form of the navel gazing bullshit they get into most of the time.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am curious about what Mercer and the Critical Role folks think about this.

I am a small fan of those guys but god they are bad at the tactical partd of the game and quite a few of them are insufferable cunts much of the time.

I think I enjoy the recaps of the episodes and the focus on the cool parts much more than the long form of the navel gazing bullshit they get into most of the time.
I'd wager the CR cast is opposed to it, but I have absolutely no doubt that they would get their own sweetheart agreement with WotC where they'd pay very little, if anything, in royalties because they have a lot of influence with the new generation of players.

I think WotC has at least enough intelligence to recognize that a huge percentage of "critters" are foaming-at-the-mouth fans that would collectively rain fury down on Hasbro/WotC if their beloved internet soap opera was 'harmed.'

*edit* I hate to admit that I enjoy CR in relatively small doses myself, but it's not D&D. It's a show about D&D.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The original OGL is written in such a way that I have a hard time believing that Hasbro is trying to use an update to neuter the companies and products spawned from d20 and the SRD (basically the third edition rules with all the trademarks removed).

"4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content. "

"9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License. "

I don't know what Seattle hippie wrote this fucking thing but here we are. The Pathfinder horse has left the stable and that barn has burned down and now you're finally buying that new lock. Good for you. They 100% don't want another Paizo showing up ever again so I get the changes but if they want royalties now it's off to court we go earning mondo mega bad press the entire time for a case that is probably a loser.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Lawyers gonna lawyer but the intent of the OGL's architect

1673210159135.png

Archived FAQ

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff

Has Paizo come out with anything official on the subject yet? As the biggest single entity with multiple products directly impacted I would expect they would be a major player in the whole affair.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Has Paizo come out with anything official on the subject yet? As the biggest single entity with multiple products directly impacted I would expect they would be a major player in the whole affair.
No, and they won't until there is an official statement from WotC. Despite the fact that we know the leak is legitimate, it's still a leak and Paizo isn't going to publicly involve themselves with rumors.

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I personally don't use OGL--based material at the moment, but I DO use Foundry VTT and Forge-VTT as a hosting service for my game and neither of them currently has a contractual arrangement with WOTC and would likely be barred from hosting or selling any OGL-based content.

What does OGL v1.1 mean for VTTs?

So while my own game material would not be effected I very much doubt that any VTT would survive long if all the OGL-based content was yanked.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Although they stuck it under the OGL banner they're pretty sure their second edition of Pathfinder is legally distinct enough. I have to think they've been planning for this for about a decade after Pathfinder started drinking 4th edition's milkshake year after year.

I still don't expect Hasbro to try and do the worst of what people expect but they've surprised me before.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I hope they forget about Knights of the Old Republic and run afoul of the mouse. There's not many scenarios where I would root for Disney, but here we are.

• 1Worf