The D&D thread

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
This all reminds me of when I used to play mtg at shops in college. I met a friend of a friend who introduced himself as "gay lenny" and boy was he gay lol

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The whole "Now, now guys...let's just all be friends," approach has achieved absolutely nothing. In fact, it's allowed the wack jobs to push deeper and deeper into every aspect of culture.

I have a lot more use and respect for people that actively take an aggressive stance against the people/ideas that have brought us here.
Yeah im not surprised you think that.

But i didn't say he should be passive and just accept playing a game he doesn't like. You and frenzic have both made the assumption that he won't be able to find a game with players that already agree with him and that he should just walk in guns blazing. That's just as insufferable at the table as blue hair safespace wrong think nonsense.

If you find a table, sit down and play it like youre a functionally social adult. Pretend it if you have to. If it turns out someone attacks you in their typically passive aggressive way, then you can call it out.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
See this right here is why I hate organized play. I exclusively play with rl friends only. But that's it. I've also only had 2 of the wives ask to play. One last like 6 games and 1 lasted 3 games.

But man. If we recorded even 1 game and put it on YouTube. Insta ban lol. It rate our games up there with Bob Saget or Carlin level of raunchyness and profanity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
You and frenzic have both made the assumption that he won't be able to find a game with players that already agree with him and that he should just walk in guns blazing. That's just as insufferable at the table as blue hair safespace wrong think nonsense.

Nah, I do believe I'll find a normal group. I'm just surprised at how many groups have the Identity letters and safespaces attached. It actually makes me sick.

Anyway back to the topic- I'm excited. I hope I find a good group! I always loved the Baldur's gate games etc.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
~12 years or so TTRPG free at this point.
Hey to each their own. And that's totally fine.

I started, attempted, playing d&d at 10 eith 2nd edition. But I was a terrible reader as a kid. Really got into 3.5 in late high-school. Then college till now has been 4e.

I also do a lot of stuff from the eqttrpg.

Speaking of which. Even if you aren't a ttrpg person but love eq lore. The Plane of Hate book is amazing. It also covers sky and fear.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bro I've managed gaming stores on multiple occasions. If I never see another CCG or TTRPG player in person in my life, it will still be too soon.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don't see how having multiple races with different stats/acumen causes "harm" to anybody.

And I'm 100% sure the people saying it causes "harm" are all white people speaking for other groups.

And I've also been cognizant for a while that referring to words and concepts as "harmful", "dangerous", or "violence" is an attempt to verbally put those words and concepts on the same level as actual physical violence, which thus by extension makes actual physical violence more acceptable to "fight back" against the "harm" or "hate" or "violence" that the "bad guys" are subjecting the oppressed classes to.

I.e. it's all verbal sleight of hand to make Sovietization more palatable. Using their language is basically legitimizing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know that Paizo is just as bad as WotC, but WotCs continued idiocy has, for the first time, driven me to play a different game. I'm not done with D&D, but I want to give PF2 a shot.

In fact, I just put in an order for every PF2 hardback that's been printed....I'm going to have a lot of reading to do next week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damm every pf2 book? $$$. But that does sound pretty awesome dude
Yep. Literally every book. I had to buy from 4 different vendors because PF2 is incredibly popular right now.

After sales, discount codes, and some store credit my total came to somewhere around $8-900. Remember, I only bought the hardbacks. There's a decent amount of softcover content available too. Primarily, the adventure paths, but only a couple of those are worth buying.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
are they?
I was being a bit hyperbolic, but they're not far behind. Paizo employs a fair number of individuals that would be nuked from orbit if their social media comments/views were tweaked ever-so-slightly. And, of course, that trash makes its way into the final product.

Remember, Paizo actually dumped "race" because of hurty feelings before WotC did.

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If you find a table, sit down and play it like youre a functionally social adult. Pretend it if you have to.

Of course we all have to pretend. Do you even know where you're posting right now?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
are they?
Paizo is 150% woke but the difference is that they don't allow it to affect game mechanics.

All mention of "race" was removed from PF2 but the mechanic wasn't, it's just called "ancestry" now. (This wasn't entirely for a woke reason though, it also fits with their character building abbreviation ABC - Ancestry, Background, Class.)

Slavery is no longer present in official PF2e adventures but it still exists in certain regions. For example, Paizo will no longer print adventures about Halfling slaves in Cheliax, but slavery does still exist there, as mentioned by the lore books.

Lich "phylacteries" were renamed to "soul cages" due to offending Jews or something but they are functionally the same thing. Ancestry-based ability score penalties were determined to be racist so there is now an optional rule to ignore them, but that rule is optional and they are going to continue to print new ancestries with ability bonuses and penalties.

Paizo was the first to do "accessibility items" (i.e. battle wheelchairs) but instead of just saying "dungeons have ramps now," they designed the accessibility items with the means to overcome things like stairs and even ladders. Essentially you don't have to change the design/descriptions of your dungeons just because someone wants to RP as a vegetable.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lich "phylacteries" were renamed to "soul cages" due to offending Jews or something but they are functionally the same thing.
They also banished the word "Golem" for exactly the same reasons. There are a handful of other completely innocuous words that Paizo has deemed verboten.

WotC and Paizo are effectively the same beast with a slightly different coat.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Paizo is 150% woke but the difference is that they don't allow it to affect game mechanics.

All mention of "race" was removed from PF2 but the mechanic wasn't, it's just called "ancestry" now. (This wasn't entirely for a woke reason though, it also fits with their character building abbreviation ABC - Ancestry, Background, Class.)

Slavery is no longer present in official PF2e adventures but it still exists in certain regions. For example, Paizo will no longer print adventures about Halfling slaves in Cheliax, but slavery does still exist there, as mentioned by the lore books.

Lich "phylacteries" were renamed to "soul cages" due to offending Jews or something but they are functionally the same thing. Ancestry-based ability score penalties were determined to be racist so there is now an optional rule to ignore them, but that rule is optional and they are going to continue to print new ancestries with ability bonuses and penalties.

Paizo was the first to do "accessibility items" (i.e. battle wheelchairs) but instead of just saying "dungeons have ramps now," they designed the accessibility items with the means to overcome things like stairs and even ladders. Essentially you don't have to change the design/descriptions of your dungeons just because someone wants to RP as a vegetable.
They also banished the word "Golem" for exactly the same reasons. There are a handful of other completely innocuous words that Paizo has deemed verboten.

WotC and Paizo are effectively the same beast with a slightly different coat.
Yeah I looked some of it up yesterday. Paizo is definitely infected with the virus but WotC is an order of magnitude worse.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm hella confused. Never heard of paizo before. So I looked it up and I guess they made pathfinder. But I thought pathfinder was a version of DnD. So how similar is pathfinder to DnD and which version is it closest to? If you are familiar with one are you most of the way to understanding the other one?