The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Szlia

For comedian + political acumen an idea that has not been mentioned yet is Kal Penn. Drawbacks: he is an actor, not a stand up comedian and he worked for the current administration. That's a bit much, even for fake journalism!

More realistically: Wyatt Cenac.

spronk

FPS noob
If it puts anything into perspective, the same poll found Fox News as America's most trusted news network. So there's that.

wat

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wyatt went nuts, like Joaquin Phoenix nuts. The Kal Penn idea is actually a good one, but the fact that he worked for President Kenyan would be too polarizing. If Bee is bailing (and she was not really good enough for that spot) then Jason Jones will go with her. Of the old crowd, I actually would not mind Rob Riggle in the spot, even though he leans more to the right. Even though she would never do it, Tina Fey would be perfect in that spot, too.

Ultimately, the best thing for them to do long term would be to start over with another unknown with a full new cast. There are some good edgy comedians out there who might be able to do what Stewart did. Chris Hardwick stands out as one possible guy, at least to me.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Chris Hardwick is one that's been bouncing around in my mind for the past couple of weeks. He's charming, quick, and obviously has a lot of interviewing experience. He can also jump back and forth between being serious and funny similar to Jon Stewart. I think he's the closest you could get to keeping the same sort of tone to the show. The thing is, he just isn't political. I listened to an episode of the Nerdist recently where he even said he avoids political topics because he doesn't like being that divisive. Obviously the writers could help writing political jokes, but if he doesn't have much of an interest in politics, he's not going to be great at interviewing political guests and authors.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Have seen lots of "possibilities" that make me cringe.. i would never watch a show anchored by Sam B, Rob Riggle, or fuckin Jessica Williams. Tina Fey i would at least give a chance. Norm Mcdonald I think i would enjoy?

But really i agree that they need to start fresh with a whole new casts of relatively unknown comedians. even keeping the rare lewis black segments(that i love) i think would be hanging on to the past too much. that was Jon's show, they need a fresh re-start.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The thing is, he just isn't political.
Yeah, this show pretty much has to have someone that is into politics. For a TV personality if you're not going to make your gig about politics, then you should probably just avoid it completely or you will alienate half of your potential audience so I think he is smart to stay away from politics but it makes him totally wrong for the Daily Show.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stewart just spent the first 10 minutes ripping Fox News and ended it with a mic drop. Can't wait for the tears over the weekend.

iannis

Musty Nester
Bi racial south african.

Not so odd, really.

Most likely will not watch. I don't wanna be needlessly cynical... buuuuuttt...

spronk

FPS noob
yeah thats a weird choice, then again john oliver has grown to become a show thats even better than the daily show so who knows. just doesn't seem like noah has a good pulse on american culture, and like 80% of TDS is pop culture references.

seems bad for a show if the writers drive the topics and tone rather than the host - the nightly show seems like a directionless show without a strong leader, and trevor noah will probably end up the same.

if that ends up being true the two of them plus arsenio hall will set back black people on late night forever

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder how long the Nightly Show is going to last. I have tried hard to like that show but it's just not very good.