The Dark Pictures - Man of Medan - Supermassive games - Makers of Until Dawn

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I initially read this title as "Supergiant Games" (Bastion, Transistor, Hades), thinking to myself "Man, this is a big departure from their typical art direction.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
A friend of mine is a producer on this and says they are genuinely extremely proud of it. Should be worth a purchase!

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Until Dawn was really good and if they improved / tuned the system for this release it should be excellent. Could have swor ln we had a thread on it but maybe I’m just remembering a DF or other YouTube video.

I was also going to post something about Telling Lies but right now I just can’t recommend it to anyone. And unless you enjoyed Her Story you’d probably hate it without the technical issues anyways.

• 1Solidarity

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I loved Until Dawn, so I'm somewhat excited for this. The excitement is killed a bit by having played "Hidden Agenda" which seemed extremely low budget and rushed compared to Until Dawn. Hopefully this is more like the former.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just finished my first play through. Overall it was enjoyable. Very reduced in scope from Until Dawn. Story was fine but some of the writing / scenario setup is iffy. That probably has more to do with the branching story based on actions and decisions, some of it is just strange. Enjoyed Ashmore’s character the most and he ended up being the only one I killed.

Audio struggles at a couple of different parts, volume issues, layering issues, but isn’t really distracting. Movement is somewhat annoying with the changing camera view, getting stuck on objects, slow momentum to get your character pointed and moving in the right direction. I switched to my DS4 rather than KB/mouse. Oh, there are only Xbox prompts, doesn’t detect it is a PlayStation. Screwed me up in multiple QTEs when X popped up. Mentally I know what it wants, but still hit the PS X instinctively.

It is pretty linear, not near as open as the house or areas around Until Dawn, but helps with the claustrophobic feel of the old derelict ship. Think the whole thing was 5-6 hours? Can’t quite recall as I had a lot of getting up and leaving between the four play sessions.

Didn’t find all the secrets the one time through and I’d def like to do either a perfect play and a really really bad one just to see the differences. Game is short enough and accessible enough that it shouldn’t be an issue.

Preview for the follow up Little Hope next year looks cool.

I mean overall I’m satisfied. Not as good but doesn’t look like it is trying to be and ends up feeling cheap or rushed. If you were a huge fan of Until Dawn and just really want to revisit this genre it’s worth jumping in here. If not a sale would be a good pick up.

Didn’t try any of the multi, so if anyone is interested in that let me know. Wouldn’t mind testing it out.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Dark Pictures: House of Ashes, the last one I think, is out. Watching lirik on twitch and it looks scary as fuck. Vampires, underground deep ass mines (think The Descent), ancient mesopotemian history, special forces squadrons in the shit, all looks awesome

i can't play these kind of games, too much of a chicken shit, but i like watching this

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure it is a decent game, but after reading my post on Medan and now thinking about it, hard for me to justify $30 for Ashes and $30 for this b/c I'd want to play both. The triple pack for $60 seems worth it though if you're a fan of this kind of game.

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
House of Ashes - this was an awesome watch:
Better than most movies for me. Actually I'd be all over this as a movie.

I did skip parts here and there, not patient enough to watch the whole thing. Except the last couple of episodes, that got me hooked.