The Diplomat - Netflix

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Diplomat

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2023-04-20

Creator: Debora Cahn

Cast: Keri Russell, Rufus Sewell, David Gyasi, Ali Ahn, Rory Kinnear, Ato Essandoh

Overview: In the midst of an international crisis, a career diplomat lands in a high-profile job she’s unsuited for, with tectonic implications for her marriage and her political future.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
This was suggested to me by Netflix and I binged it. I initially put it on to have something playing and over the day I stopped everything and watched it all. Well written and acted.

Says same writer as West Wing , which is a show I never watched. If it was this good I need to find the show.

The Diplomat

* really hope I didn't fuck up the link. If I did would Amod Amod please fix?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This was suggested to me by Netflix and I binged it. I initially put it on to have something playing and over the day I stopped everything and watched it all. Well written and acted.

Says same writer as West Wing , which is a show I never watched. If it was this good I need to find the show.

The Diplomat

* really hope I didn't fuck up the link. If I did would Amod Amod please fix?

Fixed it. Next time you just paste the link in as the thread title. The addon does the rest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It was decent but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it. How ever the ending was really good and makes me want a second season.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Maybe better to say “a writer from The West Wing” since the primary writer was cocaine Aaron Sorkin. But it does look like she took over at Season 4 which would have been around the time Sorkin started stepping out. Which for me was when the show started going downhill. Doesn’t say much since Studio 60 and The Newsroom also sucked.

Actually what it probably says is don’t stop doing cocaine. Just keep doing what you do best.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed studio 60 and the newsroom....

Watched ep1 of this last night, pretty good, will continue!

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
good and entertaining but not great

lots of women power but it's not so cringey

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed studio 60 and the newsroom....

Watched ep1 of this last night, pretty good, will continue!

Thinking back on it more I did like Studio 60, so that wasn’t completely fair. Newsroom though was hard for me to stomach. Hopefully we can catch up on this show over the weekend on our vacation.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Enjoyed the first season. Keri Russell is perfect for this role.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
Quite enjoyed this but the end is trash and kinda taints the whole show really.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I appreciate you putting Netflix in the title to remind me that despite people saying this is decent, that it's probably trash still.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finished S01. Liked it a lot. Story is interesting, writing is good. I wanted to binge it, which is always a good sign.

Little bit of "girl power" stuff, but like others have mentioned it's not egregious and doesn't detract from the story.

I actually think Keri Russell is wrong for the role- and I like Keri Russell. She was great in The Americans, but at times, especially in her Phillip interactions, she came off as totally unlikable and unsympathetic. Those characteristics worked better in Americans, but this role needs a little more nuance.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I liked her and most everything about the show, but can someone get her some conditioner or something? I did binge it over a couple days, sure am glad there's a second season coming.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked her and most everything about the show, but can someone get her some conditioner or something? I did binge it over a couple days, sure am glad there's a second season coming.
The no conditioner is to key you in on how much she doesn't give a shit about her appearance- if you didn't pick up on the other 30 clues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
shes back to crazy hair felicity?
6331d84f78dab80018ed8fb9

Caliane

yep, my brother mentioned this. And you guys.

on epi 5 so far. Pretty solid.

Minor bit of girl power as noted. "bitchy" and shit. the main character not taking part in that crap though. men are all written with it in mind though blatantly.
Does a good job totally ignoring actual real politics though, despite bringing up actual real events. virus, russia/ukraine.. No Trump analogue, etc.

A bit part of the drama/premise is a bit silly though. "oh the VP can't be divorce, or unmarried" what? what an absurd thing to even suggest. no one gives a shit about the VP. like, not even a little. Kamala... Pence. to make it even more silly, shes being appointed, not campaigning.

Cybsled

no one gives a shit about the VP

No one gives a shit about the VP once they are VP, but people do care about VP during the campaigns since they can become major distractions and sabotage the campaign as a result

TV show information provided by The Movie Database