The Dragon Prince

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Oh wow. This series does embrace the humans are evil thing pretty hard. ROFL.

Not only did the humans only go to Xadia to save themselves from starvation, to which the Elves gave no shits about, they also only killed the thunder dragon in SELF DEFENSE while they were trying to flee back to the human kingdoms.

Yeah, its why I just couldn't hang on with the kids. None of how the characters act matches up with the actual events. Every step of the way the humans were pretty justified in their responses, and in many cases they were the victims of pretty clear racial hatred developed due to one human being an asshole (And in many cases, just blind aggression with no reason from the other races). And for some reason the humans constantly talk about how bad they are.

Where does that come from? It's just frustrating to watch, a lot of it doesn't make sense. It feels very much like "we need the humans to apologetic so they dont just murder these pricks...so they are."

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Hmm so I liked the character development through S2 - most of it made sense. I would have preferred if a certain maimed someone had remained maimed - Would have been nice to see their character grow a bit.

The backstory was good, I'm intrigued for more, and I think the SJW stuff is a little far fetched. This is a fantasy world with clear foundations of cans and cannots. Reading into crazy SJW humans are evil stuff is going too far in between the lines imo. Humans def do things for their own gain even at the cost of others - which surprise is what we do now. The fact that they didn't understand the ramifications of what they did until after the fact is clearly realized by the late King - he laments about it as much.

The story to me seems more of a passing of the torch - from old ways to better ways for not just the human generation but also others (such as the Elves with Reyla.. Reila? whatever) as they throw aside preconceived notions about their "enemy" and really learn and understand them. Obviously the older generation is still present (such as Valen) and will continue to work towards their own goals and objectives - which creates needed tension for a good story.

IMO things are looking great, the animation is 100000% better and I truly enjoyed every episode. If I had to critique, I'd say the kids are a little too mature for their age (especially Ezra) but I'm okay with maturity in this fantasy world coming earlier - even if it is a suprise (like with how Valen reacts with Anya.)

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I liked the season but the SJW shit is in your face. Especially the black kings shit about smashing the past. The writers must have enjoyed star wars episode 8.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nah, the writers like Batman. Cause every kid in their universe is losing parents left and right. Wait til we get to the magma titan's kid.

Technically the MC has lost 3 if you include the step-dad who probably is in a bird but he doesn't know that.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
What exactly is social justice-y about "smashing the past" ie: not repeating the mistakes of your elders? Seems like that's a standardized theme for most storytelling. The late king is merely pointing out that the things he did in the past to justify where he is today was borne out of power and need - whereas he wants to impress upon his next generation that decisions should be made from love and thoughtfulness.

You gotta be diggin' pretty deep to equate that with social justice. Or just missing the point.

• 1Seriously?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
What is SJW about a group of humans taking by force resources from lands occupied by natives? In a show where the white men are bumbling fools, pussies(the kings) or evil? With every heroic act being committed by women. And all the while educating the new generations of men to love and be gentle while smashing the wrong ways of the past? Yeah I don't know what I was thinking.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
What is SJW about a group of humans taking by force resources from lands occupied by natives?
This is not SJW - this is just US history.
In a show where the white men are bumbling fools,
Considering there are only 3 main protagonists that are white (Verin, Callus, Soren) and male, only one of them is a fool (Soren) probably due to poor education - Callus is simply a teenager. Verin is the only established "white dude" in power, and his motives are still in question - he has underlying motivations that seem to run parallel to the only other wielder of Dark Magic (Claudia) that we've seen - which might be characteristic of him, or a result of wielding Dark Magic. I'd probably guess the latter, since the first time Callum uses it, he has an internal struggle with the same notion/ideas that push Verin and Claudia to do what they do.
pussies(the kings)
The king you mean? We've only seen 2 kings so far (that are male) and that's the deceased King Harrow and the random white dude king when Verin was telling his story. Harrow I wouldn't call a pussy, and the other guy we don't know enough to make a judgment on - or are you referring to the princes, who are kids? Seriously...
Evil is subjective, I don't think anyone in this show has been portrayed as actually evil, with the exception being the mirror entity.
With every heroic act being committed by women.
Women being good fighters doesn't make this SJW - it makes it balanced. Plenty of male heroes have done heroic things in the story thus far, but I don't think people are keeping track. So the Queen was a badass? Good, she should be - and Anya's parents stayed behind while they retreated? It was a sacrifice that made sense - their people were the ones that were being saved by this act. King Harrow didn't have to risk his people and time to do this - but he chose to, which is a choice from a powerful male figure (if that means anything to you, despite his skin color.)
And all the while educating the new generations of men to love and be gentle while smashing the wrong ways of the past? Yeah I don't know what I was thinking.
You betray your own thesis by stating this show is trying to educate men to love and be gentle - it's educating everyone to love and be gentle. Your inability or unwillingness to see this as something to strive towards just means you're jaded, not that the show is "SJW." The story pushes hard on the idea that war, power and strength doesn't solve all problems, and in fact starts quite a few (like the generational hatred between human and xadians.) This isn't new, this isn't "SJW" this is standard fantasy trope.

That reminds me, empowering women isn't SJW, empowering minorities isn't SJW, being inclusive isn't SJW, that's just being a good human being in a well balanced society. If you are offended that the Queen did something heroic instead of the King, you should evaluate your core values.

There are lots of shows on right now that do push male-hate or whatever you want to call it, or go over the top to show women can do things, I don't think this show strikes that chord, but hey maybe it does with you. I'm pretty sure if you look too hard at anything you can find progressive views and empowerment and slam it as SJW.

• 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This is not SJW - this is just US history.

Considering there are only 3 main protagonists that are white (Verin, Callus, Soren) and male, only one of them is a fool (Soren) probably due to poor education - Callus is simply a teenager. Verin is the only established "white dude" in power, and his motives are still in question - he has underlying motivations that seem to run parallel to the only other wielder of Dark Magic (Claudia) that we've seen - which might be characteristic of him, or a result of wielding Dark Magic. I'd probably guess the latter, since the first time Callum uses it, he has an internal struggle with the same notion/ideas that push Verin and Claudia to do what they do.
The king you mean? We've only seen 2 kings so far (that are male) and that's the deceased King Harrow and the random white dude king when Verin was telling his story. Harrow I wouldn't call a pussy, and the other guy we don't know enough to make a judgment on - or are you referring to the princes, who are kids? Seriously... Evil is subjective, I don't think anyone in this show has been portrayed as actually evil, with the exception being the mirror entity. Women being good fighters doesn't make this SJW - it makes it balanced. Plenty of male heroes have done heroic things in the story thus far, but I don't think people are keeping track. So the Queen was a badass? Good, she should be - and Anya's parents stayed behind while they retreated? It was a sacrifice that made sense - their people were the ones that were being saved by this act. King Harrow didn't have to risk his people and time to do this - but he chose to, which is a choice from a powerful male figure (if that means anything to you, despite his skin color.)
You betray your own thesis by stating this show is trying to educate men to love and be gentle - it's educating everyone to love and be gentle. Your inability or unwillingness to see this as something to strive towards just means you're jaded, not that the show is "SJW." The story pushes hard on the idea that war, power and strength doesn't solve all problems, and in fact starts quite a few (like the generational hatred between human and xadians.) This isn't new, this isn't "SJW" this is standard fantasy trope.

That reminds me, empowering women isn't SJW, empowering minorities isn't SJW, being inclusive isn't SJW, that's just being a good human being in a well balanced society. If you are offended that the Queen did something heroic instead of the King, you should evaluate your core values.

There are lots of shows on right now that do push male-hate or whatever you want to call it, or go over the top to show women can do things, I don't think this show strikes that chord, but hey maybe it does with you. I'm pretty sure if you look too hard at anything you can find progressive views and empowerment and slam it as SJW.
Thanks for proving me right

• 1Picard

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Men that do good things in the show: black prince, black tracker
Heroic fighters: Aunt, two lesbians, queen
Women who make tough decisions: little girl queen
Men who are stupid as fuck: white dude
Men who are evil: white dude
Future generation being told to forget the past and love: White kid
Ruler of everything: black kid

You have to be blind not to see it. All the shit you posted = you being blind.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nidhogg you have to remember what forums you're on, it's either 0 or full 100 here. And this definitely ain't a 0.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
#DarkMagicDidNothingWrong

Also fuck elfs. The most SJW thing about the whole narrative is just painting humans as shitbags. For what? Surviving in a world that is blatantly racist towards them because a very small number of them use dark magic. Which they use only because they do not have an innate, natural connection to the primal sources from birth? It isn't like we see dark mages everywhere. Out of all the kingdoms its literally only Viren and Claudia that we've seen so far. Even then King Harrow didn't like it. He just tolerated Dark Magic because it produced results and Viren was a loyal servant. Yeah what assholes they must be. It would have been more noble to starve to death and not kill a magma monster so you can grow food. If only the magical creatures and elfs had such empathy to help others. Nevermind that the vehicle that started the current situation with the Dragon Prince began because of the Magma monster hunt. Which was done as a last resort in total desperation to prevent starvation.

But it is humans that need to practice peace and love and not elves who make magical assassins' oaths to kill people. The same elfs who magically sundered the land itself to prevent humans from ever getting into their precious Xadia.

The morality argument around Dark Magic is just dumb. Did Claudia have a huge morality monologue when she first used it? Did Viren? Claudia's argument with Callus about it made perfect sense. Humans do not have a natural connection to the primal sources. We have nothing and must squeeze it out of creatures that do as reagents to use magic at all. If you could use a stupid deer to heal someone from paralysis? That's a god damn good trade son. But apparently killing deer for beneficial needs is also wrong. Even if its eating them or curing an otherwise mortal wound. Claudia will see the error of her ways and learn the primal magic like a good little girl along with Callus. Luckily they have an ancient one of a kind magical key that will allow them to use primal magic and show others their immorality. I am sure those are not in short supply or anything.

The Thunder Dragon King was just a guard dog anyway. All it did was hangout at the sundered crossing to kill any humans that wandered across. Returning the Dragon Prince is symbolic. It doesn't mean anything other than being nice to dragons and shit that burn up your villages for no reason. Like the red dragon. Pretty sure the humans were totally justified in sending a warning shot to keep a massive dangerous beast away from their town. So the dragon burned up the village anyway and they used a magical arrow to kill it. But humans are the bad guys again here. Then dumb elf Rayla and Callus free the beast who immediately tried to kill Soren for their act of generosity. Soren, while an idiot does not just do shit for no reason. He's a good knight and servant of the human realms. Even if he does blindly follow his super ambitious father.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And I am calling it now. Of course Viren will do some wild dark magic shit that is actually evil in its application. Aaravos will teach him how. Not that dark magic is evil in and of itself.

But our glorious King Doolittle will outlaw all dark magic because he can talk to animals and empathizes with them. Claudia hesitating with the deer was too much telegraphing too.

Malkav

French Madman
Nidhogg you have to remember what forums you're on, it's either 0 or full 100 here. And this definitely ain't a 0.

Definitely the issue here. For some, if something is not full shitlord it is full SJW. Kinda ridiculous and just kills any rational thought.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Definitely the issue here. For some, if something is not full shitlord it is full SJW. Kinda ridiculous and just kills any rational thought.

Welcome to Trump era politics, where being moderate is considered traitorous instead of logical.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Aavaros would seem to be, perhaps, the origin of Dark Magic which would imply that it wasn't solely an invention of humans. Also remember that our entire reference point for humans being tossed out of Xadia for using Dark Magic comes from Aavaros himself who narrates the opening episode of the series.

You raise a good point about there being, apparently, very few actual dark mages wandering around. Catullus is the largest of the human kindgoms and seemingly only Varin and Claudia are actual mages for the whole kingdom.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Aavaros would seem to be, perhaps, the origin of Dark Magic which would imply that it wasn't solely an invention of humans. Also remember that our entire reference point for humans being tossed out of Xadia for using Dark Magic comes from Aavaros himself who narrates the opening episode of the series.

You raise a good point about there being, apparently, very few actual dark mages wandering around. Catullus is the largest of the human kindgoms and seemingly only Varin and Claudia are actual mages for the whole kingdom.

I hope they expand on that concept. I really like the world they are trying to build here but it definitely needs some work. Because Katolis is supposedly the largest of the human kingdoms. But they don't appear to have a Hogwarts or anything. Claudia learns explicitly from her father and books. Soren went to the some Knight's training which we do know to exist. There are no other mages at all. Not even mentioned by the other kings or seen on Callus' adventures. Other than elfs.

The first part would make some sense as even humans like King Harrow and Callus have a natural disgust for dark magic for some reason. Although we do not know why this is other than that dark magic started the old war with Xadia. Because humans were harvesting creatures for reagents. I can only presume that dark magic here is meant to be like Necromancy in more traditional fantasy settings. Unnatural and wrong and all that. But in the context of this show it is not that sinister. It can be used to do damage and stuff. But so can the primal thunder stone that Callus was carrying around and used to shoot thunderbolts at stuff and electrify that lake.

I guess primal stones are quite rare also because we've only seen the one. Elfs probably have to make them and are not like to give them to humans. They need to make it more interesting here because we see that Callus can learn to manipulate primal forces. Even if it took that stupid magical key and a fever dream to do so. If that's the case why didn't the elfs teach them the right way? It wasn't like the humans had other options to pursue magic and the results cannot be ignored. Giving a second growing season in a year, enchanting ballistas so that they never miss, flame blasts, enchantments, all kinds of useful applications that aren't even bad or require a questionable reagent to do. The worst spell cast was Claudia killing a deer to repair an otherwise mortal wound on her brother.

So Viren needs to up the game and sacrifice some elfs to fuel sorcery for dark magic to actually be evil in any way and that is just because he is using it in an evil way. Claudia and Viren have a pretty big store of dry magical flower petals, preserved organs and magical bugs and stuff to use. But nobody should be caring that they crush some butterflies and spiders to cast spells.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I think that's why we got that inner spiritual conflict episode after Callus used Dark Magic for the first time and that was only from squishing a caterpillar. There is definitely some bad mojo going on with it and it really makes you wonder what the heck is it about Dark Magic that makes it so radical as compared to the 6 types of Primal magic.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
We'll probably find out more in S3, but I'm assuming the lack of Dark Mages in the human kingdoms is more due to a lack of access more than anything - most of the magical creatures in the human lands are gone (they reside in Xadia) so being able to actually practice Dark Magic has died off over the generations(?) excepting for Viren and Claudia - both whom have access to stores of magical creatures/components. It has been established that humans are expressly forbidden from going into Xadia and attempts to do so end in retaliation.

It'll be interesting to see how they drive the story over the morality of Dark Magic and Primal Magic. Callum being able to use Sky Magic now doesn't necessarily mean anything - his heritage is shrouded in mystery. There will probably be a bigger connection with discovering the arcanums and his little Detect Magic Arcanum D6 that he carries around - I haven't actually bothered watching it a second time to suss out - but in Callum's DM dreams which side of the cube was replaced with the symbol for DM?

This all ties in (more than likely) to the entity in the mirror Aavaros and how he was imprisoned. My first instincts are that he is the Promethesus of this storyline for humans, and probably fell for a human girl who sought to wield magic like he could. He created the D6 and delved into discovering how Primal Magic interacts with the creatures of Xadia, possibly even giving Dark Magic to the human girl who he loved. This taboo probably is what got a) humans Dark Magic and b) him cast out and locked into a mirror plane. The human girl took his D6 and fled in exile to the human lands, where the invention of magic for humans went out of control - causing the conflicts that split the continent.

I mean, maybe.

• 1Like