The Evil Within 2

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This game deserves it's own thread, and I didn't see anything posted (I am also old and blind sorry if something is out there)

I'll start off by saying I couldn't get into the first one. I tried a couple times and always fell short. I am not sure why that was, but most likely because the story was pretty disjointed.

This one however is absolutely fantastic. The story up to this point is great. The protag/antag arcs are very well done, and the game is oozing atmosphere and dread. I was a little skeptical about playing a horror game without PSVR after RE7, but now that I am having a great time with it, I cannot put it down - and can also play more than 25 minutes at a time without having a heart attack so maybe non PSVR games are good for horror again in my eyes.

This shouldn't spoil anything if you haven't played it yet, but let me say that one of the Antagonists makes Sander Cohen from Bioshock look like Mary Poppins. The character itself is amazingly done.

The character leveling system is 2 fold. One is upgrading weapons with parts you find in the world (reload times, fire power damage mods, fire rates, etc), and the other is leveling attributes for your character by killing the baddies. One is done at workshops around safe houses, and the latter is done by a mysterious nurse when you use a "Mirror" to go back to your main base. There are a ton of options for defining your play method. From Stealth, Athleticism, Stamina (If you want to run away back to safe houses a lot lol) combat, etc. And there is also a crafting system for ammo, med kits, etc. Weapon Upgrades and Character skill trait upgrades are also a bit gated in that you need to progress to find one of two ingredients to advance the path you are taking in those systems, and those ingredients are staggered in the game progression - although there could be more by exploring.

The game has a memory style system of recalling events in the world - which can also lead to finding items such as backpack upgrades, ammo, or other improvements, and the stories behind them are solid.

I highly recommend this to folks who love story driven games with great main characters. Only complaint so far is a few of the side characters you meet throughout the game have some monotone voice acting. Playing on PS4. I cannot put it down and so much better than the first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I worked on the companion comic for the first one. And, never played the game. (did anyone?) The behind the scenes background material was WAY more compelling, then what trailers, reviews, and what I did see from the game suggested.
And yeah, the sequal looks far better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ut - I'd suggest giving the first a revisit afterwards. My woman after watching me play through 2 decided to give 1 a shot again (since she's convinced she'll be playing 2 eventually) and is finding it more compelling now than before.

I still need to play the DLC for 1 - apparently from reading up on some Wikis and such there's a bunch of Kidman's story that's covered in the two story DLC for 1 that explains her story a bit better than the abrupt change that it seemed like to me from playing both sans DLC.

But I absolutely agree on the first villain being EXTREMELY well done - I was on the hunt for an avatar of him last night, but alas, seems like no one has made one of him as of yet and my skills at image manipulation are shitty, so he'll just remain as a desktop for now.

One absolute improvement with 2 though is a more polished difficulty. It really got absurd with difficulty at times in 1.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You could see if someone here could cut this down to 125x125?

DGJjTQxXcAAlQlo.jpg

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah after I finish this one I'll go back and see if I can get into 1 again. Wonder if it's because I have the PC version, and TEW1 on PC was horrendous from what I was told. Sounds like it is the same here. Lots of praises for the PS4 version, not so much for the X1 and PC ports.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PC version of Evil Within was by far the best version because you could fix the retarded camera-up-his-ass FOV while also getting rid of the black bars that were only there because consoles couldn't run it at 30 fps without letterboxing the viewport. Stylistic choice, my ass. Also you could even nuke the fullscreen shader that made the game look horrible.

It wasn't a bad game as long as you played it with a gamepad and made it look more like this:
evilwithin2014-10-160btqev.png&hash=905a298f0634e6525d47a6dd14ea3f1c
evilwithin2014-10-160btqev.png

Haven't tried the new one at all, too many other distractions and I want to see if this one's PC version can be similarly tweaked.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just finished. Holy shit what a game! That last chapter was fucking epic. I’m actually listening to an awesome cover of ordinary world (Duran Duran) right now (my favorite song ever. ) wow. Even more epic. It’s amazing.

This game. Man. One of my favorites and I’m so glad I got it. I may have to give the other one another chance again and get through the first couple chapters.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
After reading your Assassin's Creed impressions I swapped it out of my cart and put this in its place. I'm always down for a good story and some horror.

Awesome. Yeah you are going to love it I believe. The characters are fantastic - and trust me when I say I do not think I have ever played a more fantastic final level in a game.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Despised the first one. Felt ripped off $60 to boot. I’ll pick this up bargain bin.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I didn't like the first one either. This one was fantastic.