The Expanse

Cybsled

The Amos stuff is nothing to sneeze at - I mean, his jumpsuit and a shotgun went for over 12k

I'm not surprised the power armor stuff all went for big bucks, although my estimates were low. Bobby's PA going for over 30k! You know that is going into some dude's sci-fi museum collection lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
I would have guessed that Amos' stuff would have been valued at the top, not Bobbie's.

I wish we would get more science fiction in this vein. Not Trek or Star Wars similar - just something that feels more realistic to what earth could possibly feel like within a few 100 years or something.

watch For All Mankind on Apple TV+, its basically a prequel to The Expanse and pretty good

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
For what it is worth; the strength of the IP doesn't lie in the television or streaming media.

Crazy as it seems, the novels and novellas are absolutely delicious! I don't think the authors get nearly enough credit for the strength of the literature they produced. It is not quite on the level as Dune with regard to depth and world-building, but then again, there is a HUGE number of sci-fi that has been generated since the 1940's and 1950's. Dune is a classic for a reason-- it is also one of the incredible failures of translation as no suitable film/TV series of Dune has yet to be palatable (not for lack of trying, that's for sure). It may be what Sting is remembered for in 1000 years (Hey, I just accidentally wrote a Futurama episode!)

But the Expanse series and novellas really hold up. I have read all of them multiple times. I am proud to own a first edition "Leviathan Wakes."

I think the series will still be read in decades to come. They blew it with Season 1 on the TV series, IMHO. Started out way too slow. But, I suppose, that is not entirely unusual for sci-fi series. I mean, who can really sit through season 1 of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" without wanting to hang themselves?

Those novels are far superior to "The Girl With All the Gifts" and "Ready Player One" and even "The Wheel of Time" series.

They will prevail. They ARE that good.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For what it is worth; the strength of the IP doesn't lie in the television or streaming media.

Crazy as it seems, the novels and novellas are absolutely delicious! I don't think the authors get nearly enough credit for the strength of the literature they produced. It is not quite on the level as Dune with regard to depth and world-building, but then again, there is a HUGE number of sci-fi that has been generated since the 1940's and 1950's. Dune is a classic for a reason-- it is also one of the incredible failures of translation as no suitable film/TV series of Dune has yet to be palatable (not for lack of trying, that's for sure). It may be what Sting is remembered for in 1000 years (Hey, I just accidentally wrote a Futurama episode!)

But the Expanse series and novellas really hold up. I have read all of them multiple times. I am proud to own a first edition "Leviathan Wakes."

I think the series will still be read in decades to come. They blew it with Season 1 on the TV series, IMHO. Started out way too slow. But, I suppose, that is not entirely unusual for sci-fi series. I mean, who can really sit through season 1 of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" without wanting to hang themselves?

Those novels are far superior to "The Girl With All the Gifts" and "Ready Player One" and even "The Wheel of Time" series.

I mean, depending on who you ask - they like the early season, including season 1, better than the later seasons. But its no surprise that the books are far better, which I dont think Ive ever heard someone say "the movie/show was better than the book(s)!" I need to actually give fiction novels a chance at some point, as there is just no way the Wheel of Time got a series with that much money and the book be even remotely as bad as that show. The Expanse though? I can watch this show for just the eye candy alone. Watched "For All Man Kind" episode 1 so far, spronk spronk . Right up my alley so far, bit liberal though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean, depending on who you ask - they like the early season, including season 1, better than the later seasons. But its no surprise that the books are far better, which I dont think Ive ever heard someone say "the movie/show was better than the book(s)!" I need to actually give fiction novels a chance at some point, as there is just no way the Wheel of Time got a series with that much money and the book be even remotely as bad as that show. The Expanse though? I can watch this show for just the eye candy alone. Watched "For All Man Kind" episode 1 so far, spronk spronk . Right up my alley so far, bit liberal though.
This show was basically cool for parts of the first few seasons. The alien shit and gateways stuff just made a mess of the tension and balance of power. It was much better before it got so grandiose and that idiot with 12 dads became a preachy hippy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Millar was the best character and made season 1 good. Then Amos starts to pick up at the end of season 1 and season 2 to make the show peak with both Millar and Amos killing it. Season 3 mostly lacked Millar, so it looses a few points, but Avasarala, Drummar, and Bobby pick up for him, mostly (with of course Amos still killing it). Then season 4 has everyone back in it, but it's not as good as the other seasons.

Season 5 and 6 were meh, and on my last rewatch I didn't even play them since Naomi is the weakest character by FAR, and she is showcased majorly in them.

"Millar"
2023-08-31 23.24.38 www.google.com 9f79e21049fb.png

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Miller deserves his own spinoff ngl

Prequel timewise, him doing his shady-but-righteous cop shit.

Wouldn't even need a super deep plot, would work as a procedural type show with an overarching season plot sprinkled in, a la classic TV.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Just to get slightly off-topic and piggyback here: if people here haven't read the Hyperion Cantos novels by Dan Simmons, do yourself a huge favor. I think Hyperion & Dune are the absolute pinnacles of science-fiction novels.

Burns

Miller deserves his own spinoff ngl

Prequel timewise, him doing his shady-but-righteous cop shit.

Wouldn't even need a super deep plot, would work as a procedural type show with an overarching season plot sprinkled in, a la classic TV.
While that could have been great, I thought part of the point of Miller was that he wasn't doing anything righteous. He was just getting by with minimal effort, who then saw a person who could have had a life of relaxed luxury, that he dreamed of, but instead she tried to fight for Belter rights/cause. Which inspired him to give a fuck.

Maybe the books give more background? Where maybe he used to give a fuck when he was new to "police" work (peacekeeping, but also Corpo enforcement) working for the black guy who gave him the hat? Then we catch up with him, years later, all jaded and givin up on anything changing?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
While that could have been great, I thought part of the point of Miller was that he wasn't doing anything righteous. He was just getting by with minimal effort, who then saw a person who could have had a life of relaxed luxury, that he dreamed of, but instead she tried to fight for Belter rights/cause. Which inspired him to give a fuck.

Maybe the books give more background? Where maybe he used to give a fuck when he was new to "police" work (peacekeeping, but also Corpo enforcement) working for the black guy who gave him the hat? Then we catch up with him, years later, all jaded and givin up on anything changing?
Never read the books... seems to me, tho, that he was a jaded realist not above taking a bribe or etc, but still ultimately had the good of the station at heart. "SOMEONE'S gonna get bribed, so it may as well be instead of some bigger piece of shit" sorta thinking. Han Solo type I guess.

Merrith

The books are absolutely worth reading, although complaints about the start of season 1 being slow seem odd because frankly the first book was pretty slow at the start, too. Honestly that's how the first 3 books came off, slow build ups that tie together nicely at some point 2/3's of the way through to where the final third of each is "okay, all gung ho to resolve this current crisis we have nicely set up". The 4th book being on Ilus kind of loses steam being a complete different set up with them all mostly just on the one planet, but later books pick back up again and are generally better than Season 5/6 by a decent margin (although I didn't have as many problems with Season 5/6 as others...they just weren't as good as Seasons 2 and 3).

Daidraco

Anyone found a copy of the books available somewhere where they dont look like comic books? Just plain old flat black books or something would be fine. Im picky about my books, idk.

Of course I want to read them and see how theyre better - but I really just want to wrap up all the loose ends that the last few seasons left. Some stuff I just didnt understand, and others - they just left the viewer wondering.

Cybsled

Alex is in the image - that giant red background is his career exploding

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users