The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians (Eye of the Beholder + World of Warcraft)

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just thought I'd share this with you.

The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians Gameplay Final #2 (Boss with Active Pause) - YouTube

While I enjoyed Legend of Grimrock there's something about the combat I didn't like. Later on you needed to dodge attacks all the time which renders a few classes useless. I'm not a fan of moving in, attack, moving away kind of combat style but I still enjoy this genre. The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians allows you to make tanks that can actually tank and generate hate/aggro/taunt. So far I'm really enjoying the combat and the dungeons; the game feels like an MMORPG (World of Warcraft/EverQuest) where your DPS need to be careful with their aggro and your taunt need to improve their aggro level while your healer heals the group trying to kill monsters with a lot of HP.

I'm a little bit underwhelmed with the leveling system though. The only thing you can do is adding one point to your talent tree which btw feels 100% like one you'd find in World of Warcraft. Despite the lack of other options; I have to admit the choices of the talent tree are mostly interesting and I do get the feeling of "I can't wait to get that talent which opens up that ability".

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm that looks pretty good. I don't know if it's 20euros good, but probably. Kinda meh time to release though.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am currently scouring steam for games like this. Honestly if you want a great game built in these vein, Might and Magic X and Wizardry 8 are fantastic.

The assets look way too similar to Grimrock, I will probably get it on sale later, especially if i find that the tile sets are varied.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm really having a blast. My tank is a damage sponge! and combat really feels like tanking/Healing/DPSing in an MMO (can be a turn off for some). The game gives you the feel that you're your own typical MMORPG group. The classes are fun, my setup class setup is a Guardian? (a tank), an "Arms" warrior (DPS, though I wish I've picked a different class though), a Druid (decent heals but practically nothing else to offer so far) and an Elementalist (burst DPS and some shields). You can mix and match within an Archtype too; for instance you can pick the Druid class but you can still spec into the Necromancer talent tree for some damage if you want.

Items are quite interesting but sometimes a level 1 item would seem better than a level 4 one. I don't see a great increase in value with item-levels. Heck, I've thrown away some Epic items.

Story is non-existent (and I don't care) and sometimes I wonder why do the developer even care to try. To me this game offers a lot more fun than Legend of Grimrock, there's no comparison there. Classes/Combat is way more interesting to me.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The graphics looked nice and I suppose it may have some nostalgia going for it but it does not appear to be fun.

The video had way too much pausing(maybe just the person playing?) and combat didn't appear interesting. It was just spamming buttons in a cooldown rotation(which I guess is all games....)

How is the play when not spamming buttons in combat? Puzzles to solve? Is inventory management a bitch? All one dungeon or lots of areas to roam? Average play time?

It has 47 positive rating at the moment on steam, so not high but those who vote seem to like it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Combat feels like a shitty flash game for some reason. Roaming around feels good though, puzzles so far have been pressure pad related and nothing even close to original. I made it to level 20 or so to really give the skill trees a shot, they say they do things but I saw little impact beyond adding more hotkeys to push strat of move backwards and spam your cooldowns/focus on ranged cheese tactics is a must at higher difficulties. I would pass on this, LoG and Might and Magic X are superior in all the ways that matter. Shame really I am a sucker for skill trees.

If you like the combat you would have more fun playingNevergrind | Browser RPG | Free Online Game

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
The graphics looked nice and I suppose it may have some nostalgia going for it but it does not appear to be fun.

The video had way too much pausing(maybe just the person playing?) and combat didn't appear interesting. It was just spamming buttons in a cooldown rotation(which I guess is all games....)

How is the play when not spamming buttons in combat? Puzzles to solve? Is inventory management a bitch? All one dungeon or lots of areas to roam? Average play time?

It has 47 positive rating at the moment on steam, so not high but those who vote seem to like it.
That video definitely looked boring to me when I watched it. It was a boss fight in a higher difficulty setting, you need to pause the game a lot at higher difficulty level especially fighting bosses. But I didn't need to step back at all except for some special boss combat events. The combat is your typical MMO; tank aggros, DPS try to not over aggro, healer heals. You can either try to focus on one target or spam AoE if creatures had less HP. Fighting difficult encounters (at middle difficulty non-boss elites are going to be difficult) it's usually about resource management where you need to make use of the best of your abilities before you run out of Mana or HP and of course everyone should maintain their aggro. It's one of those things that don't sound fun but are fun (to me at least).

Puzzles are very few and very easy so far at level 6; which, to me, is a good thing. Because what I hated about Legend of Grimrock is the overly difficult puzzles that you face all the time. I usually stop playing because I was stuck. So far in this game; I was never stuck more than a few minutes figuring out something. Yes, it could use a few more puzzles though I'm still in level 6 so we'll see if this is going to change.

You're basically in a prison so it's one dungeon. Story is an after thought; if you're in it for the story just forget about it. But all in all this game is just fun. I quit Fallout 4 to go back and play it. I can't explain why; it's just fun. Like I said to me the Combat is the main reason how you manage 4 classes (four roles) you are your own WoWish group. Maybe that doesn't sound like much but when I played it I just was having fun. Maybe it's scratching the MMO-group itch that I have? and looking forward to the next level feel is strong.

It's a shame this game is almost unknown, no body is talking about it. It's one of very few games where I almost can't find anything about it on google (maybe because of its name?) but I know that it gave me a hell lot more fun that Grimrock did. Grimrock, like I said, was about hit - step back - step in - hit - step back...rinse and repeat which is REALLY TEDIOUS. In this game, however, your tank can and will tank and your healer can heal. It's not as easy as it sounds though because you will lose aggro and your party members are going to die. So, the challenge makes it even more entertaining.

I am going back to play it!

Below is a let's play video
Lets Play The Fall Of The Dungeon Guardians - Ep. 1 - Subscriber Group! - YouTube