The First Descendent (Open Beta)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Several of us played a beta test of this a year ago, and its was alright, but certainly needed work / content. Well, they are releasing a crossplay open beta this week, Sept 19th (2AM CST). Lots of videos up on YouTube, so check it out there.

Homepage with some Dev Notes, worth reading if interested in the game:

THE FIRST DESCENDANT

At the moment, aside from the new stuff they've added (characters / zones / missions), the appears to be the same quality. Yet, after watching some Steparu videos, the game sounds like total ass... as in all the gun related sounds...annoyingly bad. I'll try it, but I think I'll stop once I start playing Witchfire.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I downloaded. Man did they add a lot to this. Runs smooth as fuck so far. Will mess with it a bit and see if it's worth playing.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Just downloaded this on PS5. Just like 30 minutes in. Looks interesting so far.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They did add stuff for sure, different missions, different mobs. The main story doesn't go as far as the beta last year, all the classes seem to be the same as well. Better guns, but worse sounding guns (to me). Still has an issue with the Global Illumination setting. Running the game on High, with DLSS Quality and its very smooth gameplay.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I ended up playing for a few hours, made level 10 and opened the 2nd area.

It's ok so far, but definitely beta. Ennemy AI is almost non-existant, they use cover a little bit, some are pretty aggressive charging you, but a lot just stand there shooting at you, or walk slowly toward you in a straight line. Lots of work to do there.

The missions were pretty diverse so far, the thing I highly dislike is that the open world is essentially empty until you start a mission.

Now, I am not good at theorycrafting so I can't say how good the loot is, that said there seems to be a lot of ways to customize your character from your guns load out, the modules you can put on the guns. The 4-5 "armor" pieces you can equip. The modules you can have on your descendant.

Hopefully it will turn out ok.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Wow, completely forgot about this game. First beta was Oct. of last year and I remember it being interesting enough but it fell off hard.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The female characters all have nice asses, and outfits that show it off. Praise Korea.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Game is...OK. Issue I have is that I never see anyone in the open world. Also I swear I run out of ammo like every other minute.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, in the last beta, it seemed more common to have other people running around in the zone you were in. Not so much in this beta. I suppose most people, after the initial Story run, are spending their time in the various instanced missions getting to 40, then their other characters to 40. At least matchmaking is super quick.

You can farm the lvl22 Void Boss for lots of the character specific augments, though I haven't seen any drop there for Jayber, Blair or Gley. Some are pretty good, like one for Leipic which changes his ultimate skill to only use mana when its fired.. with crits regaining mana, very good for trash clearing. Haven't had a pug clear the lvl36 Void Boss yet, but most ppl are still gearing up.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Seems pretty cool. UE 5 engine i take it? Level of detail in the environments/characters is really good with nice textures. Runs super good too.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Yea, in the last beta, it seemed more common to have other people running around in the zone you were in. Not so much in this beta. I suppose most people, after the initial Story run, are spending their time in the various instanced missions getting to 40, then their other characters to 40. At least matchmaking is super quick.

You can farm the lvl22 Void Boss for lots of the character specific augments, though I haven't seen any drop there for Jayber, Blair or Gley. Some are pretty good, like one for Leipic which changes his ultimate skill to only use mana when its fired.. with crits regaining mana, very good for trash clearing. Haven't had a pug clear the lvl36 Void Boss yet, but most ppl are still gearing up.
People probably leveling quick from the defense events. Can easily get like 10 levels just playing in one, so lets you skip a lot of the story stuff.
I tried the level 36 void boss in pug groups, 3 times couldn't complete it cause people kept dying, I'm guessing no one is looking at the stats of the bosses, equip your toxic resist mods, and lighting mod for guns ya damn lazy pugs. :(
Not sure how much endgame loop power this game has, but it should be good for a bit of farming for loot and unlocking descendants, I would guess more descendants will be made since the current list is 13/100.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Took me a good 10 runs to get the Devourer killed people just couldn't solo their orbs for the heal/enrage mechanic. It took even longer for me to get a group to beat Deadbride the level 40 hardmode boss, around 25 runs.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This game could be really cool but it needs a good amount of time in the oven still (at least a year) if it wants to release and not fail immediately. Some cool concepts, great looking and runs fantastic but needs some time to marinate.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Took me a good 10 runs to get the Devourer killed people just couldn't solo their orbs for the heal/enrage mechanic. It took even longer for me to get a group to beat Deadbride the level 40 hardmode boss, around 25 runs.
Well, for Dev, its a pretty big dps check after Executioner, and its early in the game, so the vast majority of people are still just messing around (and in the beta, messing with new characters) and wasting a lot of resources or lacking knowledge on how to get said resources. The difficulty feels off for it being at that point. Might be better at launch where people are going to be stuck with their starter character for quite awhile. Most people find Bride+ to be easier than Dev, which makes sense because they are much better geared and have more knowledge.

This beta was kinda weird. Less story content than previous beta, and different. At one point I think they wanted an overworld people could just run around in and kill shit, but then they changed their minds and pulled back. Given one of the Dev Notes mentioned that they now just want to give players content that they can easily manage (as in allowing ppl to focus on material from various missions), I think it'll stay an empty space. I'd like them to simply make those zones into patrol zones like Destiny had... where you had missions you could spawn, but also have the space populated by mobs and events. If they could manage to pull that off (which I doubt), they would be golden.

As for how the game looks? Hm, the character models are nice... someone edited the models and found out that all the female asses had higher polygons then other body parts (makes sense!). The overworld terrain looks good too. Yet, everything else is trash. The design aesthetic for buildings / structures / camps and most enemy mobs are pretty low budget trash, imo. Warframe and Destiny have a much more sophisticated look to them than TFD.