elidib

Vyemm Raider
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The First

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2018-09-14

Creator: Beau Willimon

Cast: Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, Hannah Ware, Oded Fehr

Overview: Follow the first human mission to Mars, exploring the challenges of taking the first steps toward interplanetary colonization. The story focuses not only on the astronauts, but also on their families and loved ones, as well as the ground team on Earth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider

This just released, anyone checking this out?

Sean Penn, Natascha McElhone, and the creator of House of Cards. Has potential..

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Instantly reminded why I don't watch things on Hulu even though I get it for like $3. Fucking commercials

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I watched like the first 4 episodes last night. Was good enough that I'll likely finish it in the next few days. I'm curious what route they take the story

khorum

Murder Apologist
They use the SLS in that trailer... do they explain why Spacex/Amazon/Private Companies didn't make it?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
They use the SLS in that trailer... do they explain why Spacex/Amazon/Private Companies didn't make it?
No they don't. Although there is apparently another moon mission between now and the time frame of the show (~15 years if my judgement is right, I don't think they ever explicitly say during the show)

Finished it. I enjoyed it. Good casting, no stuff that really just drags, characters you can care about. My main complaint would be that it's only 8 episodes, because there is a lot more story to tell.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been enjoying this. But I turned it off when the black lesbian astronaut told the boss that she was being discriminated against for being black and lesbian despite the entire show revolving around her actual training failure... The plot then pivots to her telling people its not about her race and sexuality while simultaneously doing the exact opposite to try and get her spot on the rocket ship back.

I mean. Come the fuck on.

That and all the female characters are cunts. This show deceives you by starting out strong as a drama about building up the first Mars mission. How to get their team ready and those kind of struggles. But it's not. There's love triangles. Aforementioned queer black bitches bitching about discrimination. The Commander who seems all honorable and acts this way starting a relationship with his dead subordinates wife not even a month after the dude's body is in the ground... and so on.

Do not be deceived bros.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I The Commander who seems all honorable and acts this way starting a relationship with his dead subordinates wife not even a month after the dude's body is in the ground... and so on.

I'd nitpick this one - there's a shitload of time passing between episodes - ep2 is a long time after ep1, and it's 2 years to next launch window, ep4 is 11 months to launch window, etc.

In any case, I mostly agree with your points - this is only technically sci-fi, it's really just a bunch of relationship drama. The mars mission part is mostly irrelevant to the plot, you could just copy/paste any other type of team in there and it wouldn't change much.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I've been enjoying this. But I turned it off when the black lesbian astronaut told the boss that she was being discriminated against for being black and lesbian despite the entire show revolving around her actual training failure... The plot then pivots to her telling people its not about her race and sexuality while simultaneously doing the exact opposite to try and get her spot on the rocket ship back.

I mean. Come the fuck on.

That and all the female characters are cunts. This show deceives you by starting out strong as a drama about building up the first Mars mission. How to get their team ready and those kind of struggles. But it's not. There's love triangles. Aforementioned queer black bitches bitching about discrimination. The Commander who seems all honorable and acts this way starting a relationship with his dead subordinates wife not even a month after the dude's body is in the ground... and so on.

Do not be deceived bros.

you had me at mars and lost me at sean penn

Sean Penn, black lesbians screaming discrimination then bitching about importance of race and sex...

I get enough of that shit in reality. No thx.

TJT TJT

With Sean Penn as a preamble, you should have known better the moment black lesbians popped on the screen.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I got through 2 episodes, it hits the emotional notes, but its really slow. From what I'm hearing, i dont think its worth getting too invested in.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can one of you legit bodybuilders explain to me how a guy Sean Penn's age looks like that? Is that 100% steroids?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Can one of you legit bodybuilders explain to me how a guy Sean Penn's age looks like that? Is that 100% steroids?
I'm guessing HGH. The dude's body doesn't match his face.

I found the first episode horribly boring. Doubt I'll continue with it.

Goatface

at his age, HGH would be a certainty
he also probably spend several grand on nutritionists and coaches.
a lot of them cut water weight before doing any shirtless scenes

or could be just be cgi face swapping

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finished this, agree with the comment above that only 8 episodes seemed really short considering how much story there is to tell (maybe a season 2?). I think the show spans 10 years over 8 episodes and that brings one of my nitpicks. For the amount of time that passes, nobody ages. This in particular of his daughter. The other problem is because the series is short but spans so long it doesn't have a chance to really get into any of these relationship stories. The female replacement astronaut has issues with her marriage that span years and years having to do with her having kids but the show doesn't have time to get that deep into that. The last we see of that is her husband being pissed at her going to mars, that's it.

It's not really a science fiction story, it's like one of these feels dramas (This is Us) wrapped around trying to go to Mars.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database