The French Dispatch (2020)

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: The French Dispatch (2020)

Genre: Comedy, Romance, Drama

Director: Wes Anderson

Cast: Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand, Jeffrey Wright, Adrien Brody, Benicio del Toro, Owen Wilson, Steve Park, Léa Seydoux, Timothée Chalamet, Lyna Khoudri, Mathieu Amalric, Liev Schreiber, Elisabeth Moss, Edward Norton, Willem Dafoe, Lois Smith, Saoirse Ronan, Christoph Waltz, Cécile de France, Guillaume Gallienne, Jason Schwartzman, Tony Revolori, Rupert Friend, Henry Winkler, Bob Balaban, Hippolyte Girardot, Anjelica Huston, Denis Ménochet, Kate Winslet, Alex Lawther, Vincent Lacoste, Benjamin Lavernhe, Vincent Macaigne, Félix Moati, Wallace Wolodarsky, Fisher Stevens, Griffin Dunne

Release: 2020-07-24

Runtime: 108

Plot: A love letter to journalists set at an outpost of an American newspaper in post-war 20th-century Paris that centers on three storylines.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think people just want to be in Wes Anderson movies. Because jaaaaaysus. That is a cast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoy his films, will be watching this as well but this had me laughing

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I love Wes Anderson's films because I can watch any of them and be the exact same amount of delighted all the way through. They are just dry and witty enough without being overbearingly pretentious.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Saw it tonight, typical Wes Anderson brilliance. I cannot get over how he makes every single shot in every movie look like an artistic masterpiece. Beautiful movie but me and my date did think it dragged a tiny bit during one of the "anthology" stories even with the short run time. As mentioned above, this cast was absolutely insane. Some of the A-list+ names don't even show up until the last 20 minutes.

Szlia

Often amusing, rarely funny. More importantly, I feel his later efforts have been a bit dry. For me Wes Anderson is at his best when he manages to convey a strange kind of very human nostalgic sadness in spite of the extreme stylization. You need a particular kind of story and particular kind of actors for that. You need your Owen Wilson or your Bill Murray. They are both here and the film is articulated around a death, but the two actors have a combined 5 min of screen time and the death of Murray's character is just a pretext for a collection of short films that are the articles of the last issue of the newspaper he was editing. I think the movie would have worked better for me if the meat of it was Bill Murray wrestling with the journalists over their articles. We only get 20 seconds of that per chapter and that's probably the best part of the movie.

His style remains very unique and enjoyable, of course, but it stopped evolving since Moonrise Kingdom in 2012 and, for my money, his best films were even before that (The Darjeeling Limited and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou).

Last edited:

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This came out on HBO Max today. Its fine, didnt keep my attention to well. Probably my least favorite Wes Anderson movie so far.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked the first two stories.

The one about the painter in prison was my favorite, mainly for his relationship with the girl.

The second story, about the young revolutionary, captures exactly what it felt like to be a teenager. At least for me. You are so idealistic you think you got all the answers and you can change the world. But you really just want to get laid.

Third story was kind of lame.

All in all they kind of felt half finished, like they would have been better if they all took place at the same time. Maybe that is what he does in other movies and he tried something new here.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database