The Game Awards 2018

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
This thing's happening on December 6th, so it feels time to make a thread for it.

To start, here's the list of nominees. I fully expect RDR2 to sweep 90% of the categories it's nominated for, and that is as it should be.

And of course, the Awards has become a mini-E3 nowadays, so we can expect some game announcements and trailers. Obsidian's supposed to be unveiling a new RPG, and there are probably a couple others that are already known about, which are slipping my mind. On top of that, let's add some baseless speculation:

-I'm going to say a fair chance that that leaked Harry Potter RPG shows up.
-There'll be another incomprehensible Death Stranding trailer, since Kojima and Keighley are BFFs.
-I'll say there's at least a small chance that Bethesda shows something of Starfield.
-A good chance that Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game shows up (the fact that the Russo brothers are presenting makes it feel especially fitting).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully MH:W gets some rewards, it was the game I had the most fun playing this year by far. Also hope GoW gets some love because that game deserves it for what it did.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
They're good for finding stuff you mised, in theory.

But when 3a publishers flood these things with advertising dollars they get a lot less useful.

There are probably a few good indie games out there. Out of hundreds. An award show would be good for sift ing through the sewage for me. But instead I guess it'll be "red dead two was pretty swell."

red dead two probably is pretty swell... It's just not useful to me to highlight it. I assume it's a decent game!

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
They're good for finding stuff you mised, in theory.

But when 3a publishers flood these things with advertising dollars they get a lot less useful.

There are probably a few good indie games out there. Out of hundreds. An award show would be good for sift ing through the sewage for me. But instead I guess it'll be "red dead two was pretty swell."

red dead two probably is pretty swell... It's just not useful to me to highlight it. I assume it's a decent game!

This is a good point, I posted my post (when I post shit like that look at my avatar before you reply), then I clicked the nominee link, and said “what the fuck is Celeste?”

If I wasn’t so lazy I would have probably googled further.

For the record it’s not the awards I hate, it’s the pretentious show and bullshit self celebration that irks me.

I really hate award shows.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully MH:W gets some rewards, it was the game I had the most fun playing this year by far. Also hope GoW gets some love because that game deserves it for what it did.

MHW is my GOTY by a country mile. Haven't burned 400 hours into a game in awhile.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Welcome to the gaming industry, where the praise doesn't matter and the awards are made up. Watch talentless hacks jerk themselves off to the beat of big marketing for 2 hours and be spoon-fed flashly trailers to sell you more shit. Marvel in the cringe. Delight in the scumminess.

DON'T YOU LOVE GAMING? EVERYONE CLAP.
"YAY I RECOGNIZE THAT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. IT'S GOING TO BE SOOOO GOOD"
"MY FAVOURITE BATTLE ROYALE GAME WON. I AM VALIDATED!"
"WAIFU TENCHI-OOZA ALPHA DIDN'T WIN? I'M GOING TO MURDER MY PARENTS!"

Fuck this shit and anyone that gives them views.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
God of War is my game of the year. If RDR2 didn't have such clunky controls, and mislead customers with fake HDR, it would have been up there.

• 4Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
God of War is my game of the year. If RDR2 didn't have such clunky controls, and mislead customers with fake HDR, it would have been up there.
100% agree. RDR2 didn't do it for me at all. Pretty sure I died to my horse doing stupid shit than to anything else.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I think award shows would be better if they also focused on negative aspects instead of just "BEST insertcategoryhere". Though that won't happen due to potential losses from devs in future years that won't have anything to do with a show that scolded them earlier.

Award for buggy mess, worst payment practices and so on. Sort of "Hey, get your shit together by next year" award. If they started doing that, I think such award shows might actually be valuable to us as consumers instead of just being an event where devs get to pat themselves on the back for winning (or buying) an award.

If Todd Howard was called up to the stage to receive the award for "This years most buggy mess!" for Fallout 76, it would be a far more effective push towards changing the internal culture of Bethesda to not allowing those things to happen rather than a few cancelled orders and a lawsuit that won't ever gain traction.

Which event would cause Todd to walk into the offices and demand a change?

1) The current backlash of Fallout 76 measured in a few $$ of orders and a possible settled lawsuit. Some bad reviews and .... not much else. Knowing that the problems with this game will wash away with the marketing push of the next game. Not really a care for the shareholders in the long run. Basically the current problems with Bethesda falls in the category of iooti. Especially considering since they've probably been aware of the problems, and decided to release it anyway for money and filter it into a F2P setting later. They get money for a beta, fix the game, pay for game magazines to say how awesome the new changes are and how they "listened" to customers over the long run and even made it F2P now. No reason not to try it!

2) A negative award in a public "mainstream" setting. Calling him up to receive it. It would be a hit to his reputation, not clouded behind "Bethesda". It would also be a hit on whatever else they decided to present that day, like a trailer for Starfield. Not so fun to announce a trailer for a game after just "winning" a bad award.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I played more Battlefield 4 than anything else in 2018, does that mean I can nominate it?

If not, God of War plz.

Needless

Toe Sucker
This is dorito popes annual award show right? sure hope he has some big tiddy thots fortnite dancing on stage

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
God of War for me. Man I wanted to get into RDR 2 and MH:W so badly, but I could not get into either for differing reasons. However, RDR 2 will get this hands down (deserved or not is irrelevant)

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
RDR2 reminds me of some Michelin 3-star Japanese dishes I've seen. Fantastic presentation & craftsmanship, doesn't fit my tastes.

I consider my $60 a donation to the anti-SJW war effort. God of War was actually enjoyable and did the same thing, though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
it's gonna be a shit show, full of cringe and circlejerk

also, Serral not even being nominated for esports player is a fucking disgrace and clearly shows that these awards are pointless pr trinkets. The dude made history by breaking 20 year Korean dominace, won a fucking Triple Crown and more and he's not even on the list. Who are on the list, bunch of no names

Last edited:
  • 2Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
God of War and DQ11 were easily the best games I've played this year. Honorable mention to Yakuza Kiwami 2.

I played most of the other heavy hitters (MHW, Spiderman, rdr2) but 2018 suffers from inevitable comparisons to 2017 which is the best year I remember for gaming (Yakuza 0, Nioh, P5, HZD, Nier Automata , D:OS2, BotW, Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Zodiac remaster)

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
lol that just made me realize the only game i bought and finished this year is Far Cry 5. compared to the releases last year thats pretty unfortunate
One day ill go back and finish GoW & DQ11

Dorito pope bless us with big titty girls ty

spronk

FPS noob
Supposed to be 10-15 game announcements as well including Crash Racing, Dragon Age 4, and lots more. Should be fun to watch.

streamer of the year or w/e should be interesting, Ninja is clearly the streamer of the year but the PC police don't like the fact that he won't stream with women cuz of sharia law or something