The Giver

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Don't go see this. If your girlfriend wants you to go see this with her, just dump her. If you're married, get a fucking divorce.

Don't go see this.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Nope.

This movie could have been good but it feels like they took the storyboard and threw it out the fucking window, tried to splice random scenes in to make the story make more sense when it actually did the opposite.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
fubar.jpg

nov24b.jpg

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Went and saw this tonight, and not sure if I want to agree or disagree to the OP. Girlfriend wanted to go so said alright, haven't read the book but the premise looked interesting (kinda reminds me of the island in a way). There are some cool things but holy hell do they not explain anything in either the book or the movie?

They have the technology to create a location based memory wiping system that is thwarted by a specific person, chosen at random, walking across it?
Specific people can convey memories by touch based on a tattoo/birthmark on ones wrist?
They have the technology to build said city with 100% climate control, but can't geo-tag people in it with remote kill (sorry, 'moved on to elsewhere') capability to prevent said memory bubble bursting?
Technology to create UAV's with real time control and atractor beam

I feel like this movie ended on a cliffhanger, literally. There is no explanation of what happens next or how they got there to begin with. Does the book go into detail here or is it just an interesting premise that fires on zero cylinders?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's no magic wall that gives everyone their memory back in the book. I'm pretty sure they originally filmed the movie to be like the book, then went back and added tons of scenes with the kid and his friends to make it more of a typical a YA movie.

The first book does indeed end on the same cliffhanger as far as Jonas and the baby are concerned, but only Jonas's memories go back to the community at the end. There's a few other books afterwards.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
They made sequels to the giver? Didn't it end with

the kid dying in the snow with the baby or something? I haven't read it since like third grade so I might be wrong