The Good Doctor

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Good Doctor

Genre: Drama

First aired: 2017-09-25

Creator: David Shore

Cast: Freddie Highmore, Antonia Thomas, Richard Schiff, Hill Harper, Nicholas Gonzalez, Will Yun Lee, Fiona Gubelmann, Christina Chang, Tamlyn Tomita, Paige Spara

Overview: A young surgeon with Savant syndrome is recruited into the surgical unit of a prestigious hospital. The question will arise: can a person who doesn't have the ability to relate to people actually save their lives?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
z1K4mJwISETia59rrnMdXxzoSrZ.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]The Good Doctor[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2017-09-25[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]A young surgeon with Savant syndrome is recruited into the pediatric surgical unit of a prestigious hospital. The question will arise: can a person who doesn't have the ability to relate to people actually save their lives?[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Did a search and was a little surprised this show did not even come up.

The people responsible for "House" are behind this show. In a nut shell, it is about an autistic person becoming a surgeon and getting hired by a hospital. He is a savant in many areas but of course suffers from the personality issues associated with Autism. The show has a lot of good recognizable actors in it.

I enjoyed the season opener and appreciated how they attempted to show the thought process of the doctor in certain situations. It is certainly worth watching if you like medical shows with a twist. I feel they did a good job representing autism and the main actor did very well in portraying it.

Give the show a try.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wasn't bad. Writing was kind of lazy. Didn't particularly like the way the overlayed his thought process / recall. Something just seemed amateurish, like CSI or BBC Sherlock has presented it much better.

My biggest issue when comparing this with something like House is that an autistic kid just doesn't have much character. House was an asshole drug addict that was a damaged human. That is at least relatable. This autistic kid just has to sit there and be an autist. It's going to take everyone around him to have some character. Unless he ultimately cures himself off being autistic with the power of friendship and an old Jew. I dunno, just hard to see where it goes.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I cant wait until the episode where he is late to surgery because he is on 4Chan doxxing people

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
My biggest issue when comparing this with something like House is that an autistic kid just doesn't have much character. House was an asshole drug addict that was a damaged human. That is at least relatable. This autistic kid just has to sit there and be an autist. It's going to take everyone around him to have some character. Unless he ultimately cures himself off being autistic with the power of friendship and an old Jew. I dunno, just hard to see where it goes.
That's been my concern - haven't watched it yet. Chicago Med has a supporting character that has Asperger's and i think someone once told me that Grey's Anatomy had an autistic doc too, and while the Dr. Latham stuff in Chicago Med is kind of interesting as a side story, i just don't see it being able to carry a show as the main character even if they do some radical procedure to cure and he becomes Data 2.0 with his emotion chip. Will still probably check it out, but don't have hopes for any longevity without it jumping the shark.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
necrooooooo because I wanted to bitch about the show

As someone who actually has autism, holy fuck does this show ever rub me the wrong way. I had no idea the House people were responsible for this, but it's fitting because the main character really is a ripoff of House with the ludicrous dial turned up a couple notches. The entire premise is completely fucking retarded. The dude really isn't even high functioning, they just fudge it by using savant syndrome to turn him into a goddamn borderline superhero. As severe as his OCD is he could *NEVER* cope with the stressful and constantly changing environment of a hospital, and honestly his crippling social impairment should have gotten him bounced out of med school.

Outside of the central premise of the show the writing is really good. Like his portrayal of autism when they aren't turning it into a superpower is really good, the hospital president's fumbling attempts to communicate and misconception that they have more of a rapport than they actually do, and the asshole attending surgeon's rather abrupt acceptance of him actually makes some sense when you consider that he has a fucking superpower most of the time.

Speaking of jumping the shark, one of the mid-season episode blurbs suggested that during a 2-parter he skips town with his neighbor. Which would be a 100% firing offense for anyone else, but I'm sure they'll affirmative autism their way through that as well.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
TV show information provided by The Movie Database