The Great Outdoors! Fishing, Hunting, etc..

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't want to make a thread just about fishing so I made the title more general to outdoorsy stuff. Anyway.. It's about that time in PA for Stripers to start running, Bass to spawn, Trout to be stocked, you get the point. I took a few years off from Trout fishing so my tackle could use a good upgrading. Anyone have any killer lures they want to share? I try and stay away from live bait/power bait but always keep a little in case I just can't get them to bite.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I never was a hunter. I do enjoy fishing, however.

Prime deer hunting as close as my back 40, though. Several cornfields and a creek bring the deer in like crazy.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
None of you shut ins hunting yet?
I just went last weekend. Whitetail deer in central Texas. Got 2 doe within 5 minutes of each other, it was crazy. My shot placement was a little off, I got both in the neck and they both did the curly shuffle for a little while till they bled out. I'm pretty sure I'm a horrible person for being amused at that. I was especially amused at the bigger one because she was throwing rocks the size of fists at my buddies when they were trying to collect her.

Bought this rifle about 5-10 years ago, and these are the first 2 things I've killed with it. I'm thinking I might name it Curly.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Deer season closes here on Sunday and I can't wait. I don't hunt myself but I've had over 100 people that have come hunting on my land since the first of November. Most of them are very considerate and grateful that I let them hunt, and I like providing a place for people to have fun without paying a bunch of money, but I am very fucking tired of my phone ringing all night.

pablos

Lord Nagafen Raider
This might not be the best place for this but I have recently been bitten by the hunting bug and seeing as how I have no friends that currently hunt I was wondering how one would mind going about getting into it. I do not want to hunt for trophies as much as I want to hunt for meat for the freezer, I live in Texas and so I figure that might make things easier.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This might not be the best place for this but I have recently been bitten by the hunting bug and seeing as how I have no friends that currently hunt I was wondering how one would mind going about getting into it. I do not want to hunt for trophies as much as I want to hunt for meat for the freezer, I live in Texas and so I figure that might make things easier.
What part of TX? I have a wildlife management degree from a university in TX and and one time I hunted every day of the 60 day duck season, plus the teal season and drove down to the coast to catch the late season goose season.

I also hunt deer, hogs etc...

Finding public areas in TX is next to impossible unless you live in East Texas where you can hunt on the 4 national forest or the $48 program to hunt a little over a million acres designated under the program to be open for hunting which is mostly timber company land in East Texas.

Texas has a draw hunt program for some wildlife management areas etc..Look on the TXPWD website for those. They send you a book (at least they used to) and you entered and applied for the species and locations you were interested in hunting and the turnout is controlled so you don't get 10,000 on 5 acres hunting etc..

Some of the hunts on the draw WMA hunts can be fantastic. If interested let me know and I can point you in the right direction. Some of the hunts hover around 50% on the draw rate and a little more if you bow hunt. The book gives the results from the previous years hunt. Besides deer they also do javelina, exotics, and alligators etc...

Just let me know what you're interested in and what area and I can get you started in the right direction.

I have had great sucess over the last 15 years on public land. But I own property sandwiched between the national forest and some the annual hunting permit land that I aquired in a 3 way land swap with the US Forest Service and a timber company. So I effectively cut off a portion of those who had to work to get to the area to hunt which eliminated a lot of competition.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Now that winter has set in. I have flies to tie and get caught up on my reloading. Though I might spend a few days ice fishing this winter, and start prepping for spring bear.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Pablos, did you find a place to hunt? My advice would have been to ask around at work. The public areas are good, but can be crowded, so i wouldn't spend too much time in them. Aside from that, if you can afford them, day leases are a good way to get your feet wet.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I moved to Eastern Washington a year ago and I have decided to give hunting a try. The thought of Bow Hunting intrigues me, but I have heard it is much harder. I have never even shot a real gun. I was a city kid that played sports year round and my parents never owned a gun. So where do I start? What gear do I need to buy? Should I get a Rifle or a Bow? etc etc etc

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I would say try to make friends with someone who hunts and ask if they can teach you. If you've never shot a gun it's going to be pretty hard to do it all alone although there are enough hunting shows/videos these days that you can probably learn a lot that way although the hunting shows might give you unrealistic expectations since they are often on game farms and they don't show when they don't get anything.

One way to try it would be to pay for a guided hunt and tell the guide up front that you want to learn. You may be able to do that without even buying a gun but you will want to do some target shooting before you do that.

Bow hunting is definitely more difficult, but bows are much better than they used to be. 20 years ago 30-40 yards was a long shot with a bow and it's really not anymore.

FWIW, I haven't hunted really since I was a kid, but I talk to a lot of hunters that come to my ranch to try to get a deer.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Brutul nailed it. But if you go the guided route, make sure it's not a canned hunt. That won't teach you anything.

If there are hunting clubs in the area, that might be worth a shot too. Hunting clubs are a group of people who pool their money to lease land to hunt on. Sometimes it's ridiculously expensive, sometimes it's not. Just talk to them beforehand and make sure they're good with teaching you. When I was in college, my family had one where we each paid a couple hundred bucks. Then when I moved and started working, everything in the new area cost thousands of dollars.

Bow hunting is tough, 90% of the time those sobs will stay at 100yards for an hour just fucking with you. If you go bow to start you will prob quit first year. See if they have a rifle or slug gun season to start