The Great Wall (2016)

spronk

FPS noob
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Great Wall (2016)

Tagline: 1700 years to build. 5500 miles long. What were they trying to keep out?

Genre: Adventure, Thriller, Action

Director: Zhang Yi-Mou

Cast: Matt Damon, Jing Tian, Willem Dafoe, Andy Lau, Pedro Pascal, Zhang Hanyu, Lu Han, Lin Gengxin, Eddie Peng, Huang Xuan, Ryan Zheng Kai, Cheney Chen, Pilou Asbæk, Numan Acar, Bing Liu, Karry Wang, Johnny Cicco, Vicky Yu

Release: 2016-12-01

Plot: The story of an elite force making a last stand for humanity on the world’s most iconic structure.

Last edited by a moderator:

spronk

FPS noob

Fantasy story about the construction of the Great Wall of China, which was built to keep monsters out. Two british soldiers find themselves enlisted as generals in the fight.

A Hollywood movie financed and run by China, starring American actors in a primarily English movie. The biggest budget movie in Chinese movie history. Its basically a test of whether Chinese-made movies can be run like Hollywood movies and more importantly, sell well in Western audiences.
Matt Damon The Great Wall First Look: 5 images from the monster movie | EW.com

Trailer looks pretty good, monsters still look a bit weak. Pretty interesting talent they pulled into this one.

Sterling

El Presidente

Fantasy story about the construction of the Great Wall of China, which was built to keep monsters out. Two british soldiers find themselves enlisted as generals in the fight.

A Hollywood movie financed and run by China, starring American actors in a primarily English movie. The biggest budget movie in Chinese movie history. Its basically a test of whether Chinese-made movies can be run like Hollywood movies and more importantly, sell well in Western audiences.
Matt Damon The Great Wall First Look: 5 images from the monster movie | EW.com

Trailer looks pretty good, monsters still look a bit weak. Pretty interesting talent they pulled into this one.
Yeah, this is an interesting experiment. Trailer was interesting enough that I'll probably end up seeing this.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure why but the only thing that came to mind while watching the trailer was "Fat guy in a little coat" but the lyrics were "White guy in an Asian movie"

Fadaar

That guy
So they decided to make a live action recreation of about a dozen anime I've seen over the last five years. Neat.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I like how the top comment on that youtube page is this:

VT9W5i4.png

Szlia

Three people credited for the story another three for the screenplay... not necessarily a great sign even with Tony Gilroy in the mix. Note: no chinese writer involved (not good or bad, just odd).

On the chinese side, Zhang Yimou proved since Hero that he can direct epics and in the cast there is Andy Lau! Andy Lau!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm glad Spronk went into detail about this movie. I already see complaining about white people in China, never mind the fact it's China controlled and financed lol.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm glad Spronk went into detail about this movie. I already see complaining about white people in China, never mind the fact it's China controlled and financed lol.
Just say "In China, adding white people is about increasing diversity, since they are a minority in China. The Chinese film makers here are just trying to be inclusive....You don't understand because of you Western Imperialistic view of diversity, stop oppressing Chinese diversity, asshole."

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
wonder if we will see black people in china financed movies then. field research has shown the chinaman is not a fan of darkies in their movies. not sure what their fascination is with whitey though

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database