The Guns & Also Roses Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
Has any other band in the past 30 years made it SO big on their first album and then flopped so hard on their second?

They had an entire album full of one hit wonders. That shit is so rock'n'roll. Lots of bands hit it somewhat big and then disappear. Because most bands are lucky to have ONE song. Or plenty slowly build a following and then breakout and then burnout. GNR went from playing clubs to selling out ampitheaters back to "what the fuck happened?" in what seems to be a unique fashion.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
GNR still had a few hits on later albums. The Use Your Illusion albums had some super megahits. Axl Rose was just a dickhead and none of the other dudes could put up with that.

Slash is one of my favorite pure rock and roll guitar players. He's not particularly flashy or even technical. But he's fucking awesome.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
GNR was definitely the last 'big' rock band, but that really has more to do with the way the music industry evolved than it does with talent or anything. You certainly dont see bands going on sold out football stadium tours anymore.

Pretty hard to call the Illusions albums a flop though. November Rain/Don't Cry/You Could be Mine and the Heaven's Door/Live and Let Die covers. Those were all hit songs and those albums both sold something like 20 million each. They were just over indulgent as a whole and you end up with a decent amount of bloat because of it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
GNR was definitely the last 'big' rock band, but that really has more to do with the way the music industry evolved than it does with talent or anything. You certainly dont see bands going on sold out football stadium tours anymore.
Queens of the Stone Age
Black Keys
Jack White
Muse
Phish
Tool

All rock artists that sellout arenas consistently.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
What if Illusion had been a single disc album, there's some fucking awesome songs on there, but too much filler >.<

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If Black Keys are packing stadiums at 50k+ by themselves then we've truly hit rock bottom.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
If Black Keys are packing stadiums at 50k+ by themselves then we've truly hit rock bottom.
WTF? Having seen them live, you couldn't possibly be more wrong. If not the Black Keys, then who the fuck do you think should be selling out arenas?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Nobody who isn't old enough to be my father, it seems. Rock is hyper-niche these days.

Modern rock radio has more in common with Duran Duran than Led Zep and GNR.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The Boss can sell out Giant's stadium but that's his home turf. There really hasn't been anything like this since:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N&#39;...a_Stadium_Tour

But again, that isn't saying GNR was better or anything. Less overall music exposure back then. How important radio, TV and CDs were. The bands listed above certainly are a draw in an arena. But that's 15k people. Not quite 40k+ on 25 dates.

I want to stress though this conversation has nothing to do with quality (I fucking love GNR though and always will).

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Arenas. Not football stadiums.
I saw Rage Against the Machine at LA Coliseum in 2011. Shit was fucking awesome. Of course, for a one off show like that it's pretty obvious it would sell out. I think if Rage did a tour nowadays they could pack house in amphitheaters across the country.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Rock is like a never ending pendulum swinging from one end to another. You saw the 70s with awesome guitar rock, then the 80s came around and we got Duran Duran and Tears for Fears and Poison. Then the 90s came around and we saw rock come back strong in the grunge scene of Seattle, hard rock returning with the popularity of Metallica and the like all the way down to advent of Death metal scene and the death of hair metal of the 80s. Then the 2000s came around and we saw a huge spike of hip hop and niche type indie rock stuff. Not sure about the 20-teens because I have not been following popular music. But im sure at some point a new movement of rock will spring up returning rock music to the forefront of popular music again.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I saw that exact tour in the Silverdome here in Michigan at the time. Metallica hit the ball out of the park, but Axl had one of his temper tantrums and basically walked off the stage and never came back like 15 min into their set. People were pissed.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Slash is one of my favorite pure rock and roll guitar players. He's not particularly flashy or even technical. But he's fucking awesome.
That's because Slash has "soul" for lack of a better word. All the technical proficiency in the world can't make up for a lack of it. I love Slash.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
He is the modern day Angus Young. Rifftastic guitar playing with nice melodic leads. By far only one of a handfull of guitar players that you can tell that this is him just by his style and sound.