The Hobbyist Game Creator Thread

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
(I looked around for a thread like this but couldn't find one - if there is another one, please merge!)

I've been programming since I was six years old (= copying from the yellow pages in BYTE magazine into the state-of-the-art BBC Microcomputer we had in the 80's), and kept doing it semi-regularly as I was growing up. Got my degree in CompSci, and suddenly my career pivoted into infosec/netsec and the coding was all but forgotten.

As the kids got past the nappy-stage, career was safely established and I got some more spare time I fell back in love with programming. After a couple of smaller almost-projects, I found Unity3D a few years ago. Which was perfect for me: I'm not a good coder. I use shortcuts, I make all my variables public 'cause I'm lazy that way, and I only use about 50% of the tools available in C#. If I remember to create and use interfaces and to inherit a few classes, I'm happy and when I learned about how to build a proper event system with statics and delegates I felt like a genius.
Nor am I a good artist, or musician, or... anything really. But with Unity, it was suddenly possible to get a few neat assets from the store, copy from others mistakes, and get through by watching YouTube-tutorials. Suddenly I could make what almost looks like games.

I'm not doing this to build the next MineCraft, but because it's a perfect way to channel the creative drive that some times need a place to go. Diving into making a procedural voxel world and coming out at the other end with something that actually works is immensely satisfying. The past 6 months in particular, I've spent quite a lot of time by my PC (and the girlfriend is finding out that having a partner who plays video games is nowhere as irritating as one who tries to make them), building up a skillset that makes even more fun stuff possible.

This weekend: I'm teaming up with the kids (8, 8 and 10 years old) to enter Ludum Dare. They will draw art and record piano samples, as well as help me brainstorm, design and playtest. I'll do the coding. It's going to be a blast.

Anyone else out there that make games as a hobby?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
@Kharza-kzad_sl was big in to Ludum and almost single handedly kept the thread at rerolled going. Not sure if they made the switch to here or not. You can browse that old thread, it was in the Game, Web, Software Development subforum of the Businesses section.

Edit: here is the imported thread: Ludum Dare

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There was also Unity thread, Unreal Engine, and RPG Maker threads. xzi xzi seemed to be pretty active.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm here! I'm always Kharzette these days so I just changed my name. Looking forward to Ludum Dare this time, but it's going to be tricksy. I leave for dragoncon the tuesday after, and I gotta dye my hair and such.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like to go through Unity tutorials and type every line of code that appears in the tutorial and pretend that I'm making games! :)

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I'm currently working on a fairly ambitious project--But the idea is to actually sell it and maybe make enough money to break even on what I've put out making it (which, is an extremely small amount if you don't count late night Taco Bell runs)

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
I like to go through Unity tutorials and type every line of code that appears in the tutorial and pretend that I'm making games! :)

Yeah I've done this so much too. :) At this point, it's not that I'm a good programmer, but my skills at copying tutorials and combining assets is at a level where stuff makes sense!

Today I and the kids did a test run of our workflow: They made a couple of drawings, I snapped a picture on my phone and cleaned it up in paint.net, and dropped it as a sprite into Unity. We figured out that we could make the butterfly move its wings by rotating the sprite on the Y-axis. Magic.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Not going well. I wrote a bunch of design stuff, then wanted to bang out a quick character. Forgot some of the obscure mayaisms which cost me an hour. Then later had the same problems again and couldn't remember how I fixed them. I should have just bailed and made a cube for the main character but it's like when you are playing overwatch and your phara gets shot down. I get angry and stay on phara for revenge! (and get shot again)

Szlia

I might end up with a lame but functional compo. It's more about shaking the rust and having "something" done, because while reasonably original (it's a test of cuneiform script tentatively called Sumer Game), it will be ugly and lame!

xzi

Mouthbreather
I was barely but somewhat active in the old game dev forums. I never really had or have much to show other than I am very very interested. I've dabbled here and there making little shit systems but lost almost everything when my other HD died, been reluctant to continue since then.

Lurk a whole lot on several forums though.

Feel like I need to get back into the swing of things, maybe I'll start while I'm losing my mind waiting for the new WoW expansion in a few days lmao

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Not going well. I wrote a bunch of design stuff, then wanted to bang out a quick character. Forgot some of the obscure mayaisms which cost me an hour. Then later had the same problems again and couldn't remember how I fixed them. I should have just bailed and made a cube for the main character but it's like when you are playing overwatch and your phara gets shot down. I get angry and stay on phara for revenge! (and get shot again)

I started out with lots of ideas, and ended up with no inspiration. Got the basics of a platformer together, but got sick overnight - and I've just got no energy left to spare. I'll just have to come back stronger in December.

(I also thought the theme was... challenging ;) )

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Getting sick happens to me too! Fever can give you some wacky ideas, but make you not finish them.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Started building a library for an RPG instead. First small steps on a several month long journey!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Thinking of checking out Godot engine, I've never used it but a new huge update came out about a month ago. Plus I'm always a fan of open-source.

Szlia

Ouch... the game got functional, feature complete and uploaded 2 minutes before the deadline! It's crap and untuned, but it's done. Yay I guess. You can try it here. (requires Mouse with wheel and flash compatible browser).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Keep overcooking the damn tablet! lmao.

Pro Tip 1: When the guidelines blend in the color of the tablet, it's cooked!

Pro Tip 2: You don't have to cook the tablet in one go, so you can tap your mouse until it's cooked with 0 risk of failure (sploit!)

The "game" is very tedious though. About as fun as being a sumerian scribe I guess...

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, it's neat but I'm not going to go through it multiple times. I'm a fan of anything to do with languages/runes/etc though so it works. GJ anyways!

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
RPG Maker MV, the newest software, is on sale right now on Steam. Looks like they have a better battle system this time around. Anyone have this?