The How Not to Use Language Like a Hillbilly Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Made a good living translating between english, redneck and sometimes ebonics from professionals to trades people. You make your language fit your audience if you want to accomplish something. In fact I would say it has been my major skill in business.

I agree with this to some extent. I have family in the corn belt and when I am around them, I find my self slipping back into the accent a little more and using some of the dialect. It's one thing for it to be sort of a natural transition but it sounds terrible when it is forced. Think about a radio ad trying to sell something to a rural audience and the announcer puts on a faux southern accent. It sounds cheesy. Same thing with Joe Whiteguy copy trying to break out the ebonics.

I think it's interesting to study accents and dialects but that is completely different from just being wrong if we're talking about a semi-formal setting. Words mean things and if you want to communicate well and be convincing, you need to use the right ones. It's one thing to be slightly off on a nitpicky Grammar Nazi point but it's completely different to fail on basic vocabulary. Nothing I posted, at least, is what I would consider Grammar Nazi.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My example is from the engineering world. Translate from an engineer to the shop which may be a redneck or coon ass and same to the field, and back again. Not a word for word translation, but get the point across in a timely and effective manner, sometimes instantly.