The Jazz Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Anybody that likes jazz, brass bands, related, post some old/new music to check out

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Just getting into jazz. So far, Miles Davis and David Brubeck are my favorites. What else should I listen to? Anything out there that could almost pass for post-rock? (Like how The Samuel Jackson Five could almost pass for jazz?)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just getting into jazz. So far, Miles Davis and David Brubeck are my favorites. What else should I listen to? Anything out there that could almost pass for post-rock? (Like how The Samuel Jackson Five could almost pass for jazz?)
I’ll put jazz on quite a bit at work for some background noise that isn’t boring but I can also avoid focusing on. Will go through my history and post a few things.
Also, I make my kids listen to the local jazz station on the way to school in the morning. They’re only 3 and 5, but I’m hoping it sinks in. Every once in a while the older one will say she likes a song.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Check out some Django Reinhardt. Wife and I listen to his stuff all the time when making dinner or walking the dogs. Perfect background music, and it's always nice and upbeat.

John Coltrane is always great, too. I've been listening to a lot of big band and swing stuff when I'm out fishing, or doing stuff around the house. Just fire up Pandora, and it typically provides a pretty decent variety.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Charlie Parker, Wes Montgomery, Chick Corea, Jaco Pastorius, Joe Pass, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Thelonius Monk, Stan Getz are some of my favs not mentioned yet. Lots of stuff out there worth finding

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Awesome 70s Japanese Jazz inspired by 70s British Progressive Rock. A lot of it sounds like gnarly 70s movie / TV show soundtrack stuff, which might not sound like a good thing but it very much is! Hits me right in the nostalgia even tho I didn't first hear this album until this year.

I need more jazz like this