The Joe Rogan Experience

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Rupert Sheldrake - RationalWiki

The Science Delusion by Rupert Sheldrake | Issue 93 | Philosophy Now

The Problems with Rupert Sheldrakes Soapbox

The problem with Sheldrake, and all the other woo-merchants out there, are that they LOVE to propose ideas. But when it actually comes down to the hard stuff... you know, actuallyprovinganything. They're nowhere to be found. But they still make grand proclamations about how all the rest of science is wrong and they're right. But, you know, without evidence to back up anything they say. Rupert Sheldrake is no better than Deepak Chopra with his Furry-level misunderstandings of quantum mechanics.

Give me evidence. Then I'll give a shit about what Sheldrake says. And if all you can do is wave your hands and say, "But science is dogmatic!" Then I say, "If following the process and basing arguments on established fact and observation is dogma, call me fucking dogmatic." Until you can prove anything otherwise, shut the fuck up.
The Science Delusionis an entire book that lays out scientific evidence as proof of his claims, which you would have known if you had read it. So... how awkward does it have to get for you to stop your horseshit?

Yeah. Just throw out arguments because you personally don't like the source. That's reasonable.
rolleyes.png
Isn't this what you're doing by ascribing "furry-level misuderstanding" to a lauded scientist based solely on what a blogger wrote about him after reading reviews that other people did of his book?

What the actual fuck?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
For all the people being so dismissive of Joe and his guests I believe you might be missing the point. Joe has stated time and time again the he does not have all the answers he just likes having the conversations and exploring ideas and theories. Just because he has said some crazy stupid shit does not mean everything he has said is crazy and stupid. I think Brian Dunning does a good job of getting to who and what Joe is all about.

Brian Dunning...
I want to be clear that there is (for my part at least) not the slightest bit of bad blood between us. Joe is friendly, funny, cool, and just plain-old the kind of guy you want to hang out with. From beginning to end, he has been fair, straight, and honest with me. After the show, we hung out at his awesome studio for half an hour, had beer and chatted. We came away with some disagreements, and disagreements are exactly the reason that good, productive discussion takes place. Disagreement is undervalued. For what disagreements I have with Joe, I value them, and like him personally at the same time. If the rest of this blog sounds like I'm attacking his views, then consider it to be the productive exploration of disagreement.
Full post here:Why I Left Joe Rogan on My List of Celebrities Promoting Pseudoscience | Skeptoid

------

Regarding Randall Carlson...

Responses to comments made about Joe Rogan Podcast - An open letter to a critic on the matter of chevrons, megatsunamis and bolide impacts. - Sacred Geometry International

The letter is too long to copy and paste but here is are two parts that I found interesting:

Recently I did a podcast with Joe Rogan. In our wide ranging discussion we covered a lot of material. As pleased as I was by the positive response of many in the listeners, I also appreciate and welcome criticism and open minded debate.I do not pretend to have the final truth on anything, I only know that it is fair to question everything and to go where the evidence leads us, in the assumption that science, ultimately, is a search for truth.
And later...

I am addressing this response to one issue raised regarding remarks about possible mega-tsunami deposits that I brought up during the podcast. It is my impression after investing a fair amount of time researching this phenomenon that it warrants serious consideration, especially in light of what we have witnessed during the past decade, two tsunami induced mega-disasters in Japan and the Indian Ocean. Several comments were particularly dismissive, so I am setting down this small exposition, without malice, to demonstrate that the remarks made on The Joe Rogan Experience were preceded by a substantial amount of background research and thought. While the following remarks pertain to this one issue specifically, they are also relevant to the general attitude evinced in many of the other comments critical of something I said that are obviously being made by individuals whose preconceived opinions were incompatible with the information I presented and their objections were nothing more than a knee jerk emotional response rather than a reasoned critique with some actual thought behind it.

Here is a comment posted by someone who took issue with my remarks about the possible mega-tsunami deposits in Madagascar. I choose this posting to respond to for two reasons. First of all it allows me the opportunity to elaborate in more detail regarding this important question of the reality of mega-tsunamis, not only to our past but to our future, and the posting also displays one of the most common of logical fallacies in critical thinking, the "appeal to authority." Disregarding the obvious attitude of cynicism, this is what Mary Kay Dunn had to say:

Mary K. Dunn Comment
rrr_img_92563.jpg

First of all let's dispose of the appeal to authority canard. I have no doubt that Joanne Bourgeois, whose work is the subject of the linked article, is a "real scientist." In fact, I have a great deal of admiration for her work and have read a number of her papers, including her 2009 paper in Geology taking issue with the mega-tsunami hypothesis of Dallas Abbot and others. The statement is made by the Ms. Dunn that "real scientists" have discredited the mega-tsunami hypothesis. My first thought is this: How easy it has become these days to simply link to a website presenting one side of a scientific debate and then presumptuously assume that the matter is settled. Then follows an egregiously over generalized statement about Joe Rogan "fans." Certainly it is true that some of the world's scientists are bought off by one of two political sides, a blatant case in point being many of the scientists employed by the IPCC. However, it should be emphasized that there are many scientists who retain their independence and credibility, and it is probably true that some Joe Rogan fans believe in conspiracies of one sort or another but it has become apparent to me that many of them are willing to look without prejudice at the facts, and I would say this goes for Joe himself. Let it also be stated that as far as conspiracies go, there are definitely real ones. History itself is basically a history of conspiracies. Anyone who thinks that those who covet power do not conspire to retain and expand that power, or that they would not subordinate science to that end, is suffering from excessive naivety, however, all this is a total non sequitur anyway in reference to the subject at hand.

So, as to the question of "real scientists" here are just a few of the professionals who first proposed and have continued to endorse the idea of mega-tsunami generated chevrons:

Dieter Kelletat, Ph.D: Retired as head of the Dept. of Physical Geography, University of Cologne, expert in Quaternary Geomorphology, author of the Atlas of coastal geomorphology and zonality and numerous scientific publications and collaborations.

Dallas Abbott, Ph.D: Research scientist at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, Ph.D. in Marine Geology, author or co-author of over 120 peer-reviewed scientific papers. Author of Chevron Dunes in Madagascar: The Most Spectacular Tsunami Deposits on Earth published in the proceedings of the Aerospace Conference, 2000 IEEE

Dee Breger: Manager of Lamont Doherty Scanning Electron Microscope Facility, participant in more than 30 land based and oceanographic expeditions. Expert in analysis of microscale evidence of cosmic impact.

Viacheslav Gusiakov Ph.D, : Head of the Tsunami Laboratory, Institute of Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Geophysics, Novosibirsk, Russia, responsible for developing the Historical Tsunami Database for the World Ocean

Anja Scheffers Ph.D,: Southern Cross University, Associate Professor of Geoscience, expert in coastal evolution, sea-level change and marine natural hazards. See Curriculum Vitae here: tsun.sscc.ru/hiwg/SCHEFFERS.htm. Author or co-author of at least 42 peer reviewed scientific papers. Is considered by her colleagues to be a chevron expert.

There are more but I think you get the point.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
That's why I like Joe. He just has interesting conversations. He can spend 45 minutes talking about some crazy idea as if he truly believes it and then end it with "this clearly bullshit and I'm talking out of my ass, but it's fun to talk about". He's a total bro.

Troll_sl

shitlord
The Science Delusionis an entire book that lays out scientific evidence as proof of his claims, which you would have known if you had read it. So... how awkward does it have to get for you to stop your horseshit?
If he has evidence, then obviously you can explain it.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
If he has evidence, then obviously you can explain it.
Yes, I obviously can but why would I try to explain the details of a book about science to someone who can't think? Stop trying to get people to think for you. I know it might be hard, but it's just like exercise; it has to hurt sometimes in order for you to get better at it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
One of the pro's and con's of JRE is that he finds ppl to talk to that interest him and he has questions for, like last year he had a podcast w/ some coffee guy, that was some good shit. But as well know, he's into MMA, and a lot of these MMA guests are only that, MMA guests, and he has a lot of MMA guests.

the start of the year he's had 5 MMA guests and 2 fight companions

But introducing us to new ppl, thats cool.

I mean if there aren't any new podcasts from other sources, then i'll begrudgingly listen to a new MMA focused one when i workout, and the worst podcasts are usually the MMA ones, b/c again low quality guests, all they talk about is rolling around.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
How about just answering the question? If he has evidence, you should be able to give a basic rundown of that evidence. I'm not asking for anything comprehensive. If what you say is compelling, IpromiseI will read the book.
I don't give a shit if you read the book or not. I was just calling you out for talking out of your ass about something you don't know about. I might have been willing to set out some things for you if I thought you were genuinely curious but I don't. I think that your problem is that you seem to be drawn to taking the easy way to knowledge by relying on random internet people to give you the "basic rundown", which is what made you look stupid to begin with. So again, no. You can buy the book (the U.S. edition is calledScience Set Free)here for $7

Arakkis

N00b
It is hard to imagine the host of Fear Factor and a commentator for the UFC could have anything really interesting to say, but the JRE is an incredible podcast. He says he is an ambassador between the meatheads and the potheads, which is an apt description. His topics range from dick humor and people beating the fuck out of each other, to philosophical discussions on the subjective nature of reality or transhumanism. Listening to his inspirational monologues helped me through the tough parts of grad school and inspired me to start training jiu-jitsu in my 30s. I'm now in the best shape of my life and have an altered view on my interactions with people day to day. Not bad for a guy who once hosted a show that was called the "end of civilization as we know it".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't really know Howard Stern, so I don't know if he is fucking with them or whatever, but that whole thing does sound like he is pretty out of touch. He talks about terrestrial radio as having an audience. Bro, in 1985 sure, but that isn't the case anymore. Podcasting has a much wider potential reach, and definitely has the capability to fill niches much better. I mean, I'm not an industry expert, maybe I'm mistaken. I just can't think of a single big radio star anymore, and never listen to talk radio anymore now that I have podcasts. Really seems like he's full of shit though.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't really know Howard Stern, so I don't know if he is fucking with them or whatever, but that whole thing does sound like he is pretty out of touch. He talks about terrestrial radio as having an audience. Bro, in 1985 sure, but that isn't the case anymore. Podcasting has a much wider potential reach, and definitely has the capability to fill niches much better. I mean, I'm not an industry expert, maybe I'm mistaken. I just can't think of a single big radio star anymore, and never listen to talk radio anymore now that I have podcasts. Really seems like he's full of shit though.
Ari Shaffir was on the Adam Carolla Show recently and Adam made a good point about this whole Stern/Shaffir thing. Middle ground positions aren't interesting. Stern probably doesn't feel as negatively about Podcasts as the position he took on his show, but if he was to say some are good and some aren't, then that's boring. It's by taking a position at either extreme of the spectrum that you make for more interesting discussion. Also, people are actually talking about Howard Stern again. Again, as Adam said on his show, Stern is a clever guy and knows what he's doing. This is the first time I've even thought about Stern in over 10 years and as they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Stern is probably super happy that Ari responded as he did, as it drew a lot of attention to their little fight, and indirectly through that, attention to Howard Stern.