The Killing Season 3

Caliane

Yeah, enjoyed the hell out of this, marathoning on netflix.

This follows the Longmire discussion, with 1 case over a season, and how that would be MUCH better if it did that.

And, yeah, looking back at peoples discussion. I too found the resolution a bit lol. Throughout the show it was constantly kindof silly how many red herrings, which in reality would never happen with any decent police work. No followup interviews, etc. Magically EVERYONE knew the victim, but didn't bother to mention that to the cops, etc.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought this got cancelled after season 2 for some reason, will have to catch up.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Forgot this had the Outrageous Okana as a regular.

rrr_img_71799.jpg

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, enjoyed the hell out of this, marathoning on netflix.

This follows the Longmire discussion, with 1 case over a season, and how that would be MUCH better if it did that.

And, yeah, looking back at peoples discussion. I too found the resolution a bit lol. Throughout the show it was constantly kindof silly how many red herrings, which in reality would never happen with any decent police work. No followup interviews, etc. Magically EVERYONE knew the victim, but didn't bother to mention that to the cops, etc.
Exactly, the quote below is mine from a few months ago in the Longmire thread.

I tried to get into this show but I cannot suspend my dis-belief. WAY too much shit happens in this Podunk Town, it is like CSI Wyoming. They should have 1 Murder Case last the whole season that would be more believable.
I also think I like this show because I lived in Seattle for 10 years, I can usually identify the location of most scenes. Like in Ep1 S3 when Holder questions Bullet on the street, that is University Ave and when I lived there tons of kids that were either homeless or pretending to be homeless loitered there, they were called Ave Rats.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm always annoyed that it's raining in almost every scene of this show. I love the show, but FUCK. Enough with the rain already.

Yes, I realize that's Seattle.

I also think I like this show because I lived in Seattle for 10 years, I can usually identify the location of most scenes. Like in Ep1 S3 when Holder questions Bullet on the street, that is University Ave and when I lived there tons of kids that were either homeless or pretending to be homeless loitered there, they were called Ave Rats.[/QUOTE]

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Been doing a terrible job of working today, but doing a great job of binge watching season 3. God damn this is good.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I stayed up late last night to finish season 3 and it was great until the last 30 minutes of the finale. That shit just got stupid.

Caliane

Finished up s4.

Just find it funny how Linden is just the worst detective ever. Not just her personal life a joke... but her detective work as well is just awful. It's almost strange how little shes really called on it. Like, her being a nutter is clearly show destroying her homelife, and relationships with Holden, her kid, mom, and rehab sponsor, but not her policework, where she behaves just as insanely. ONLY her actions at the end of S3 is dealt with. While EVERYTHING she does from s1 on, would get her fired, pretty much anywhere.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got the impression that Lindenwasa good detective who got results and has been able to coast on that even though she checked out and became cynical after the Adrian Seward case closed. Plus, she mentions to Holder in season four about going easy on the one parent since she's the type that will file a report. Holder and Linden are dealing with the fringes of society, people that already mistrust the police, so Linden knows just how far she can push them. Plus, I'm sure sleeping with the boss came with a few benefits.

Regardless, one of the things I appreciated about this show was that they were able to have a damaged detective without turning that into some quirk that makes her Sherlock Holmes reborn. Holder and Linden are both damaged people who had a rough upbringing. They didn't become detectives to uphold the law or catch criminals, but to try to protect people in the way they never got. And that leads them to get too personally connected with the cases, which often gets in their way.

As far as season four goes:
Having the case only go six episodes allowed a much faster pace and tighter story. There wasn't a need for several red herrings or them repeatedly chasing down the wrong person. It was enough time to introduce the new players, have the crime investigated and come to a satisfying conclusion.

The Holder and Linden stuff... That I did not find satisfying. It felt too much like they wanted to give what was otherwise a gritty and dark show a "And the lived happily ever after!" ending. Linden getting off for killing Skinner was such a cop-out (no pun intended) and left too many holes. So... Skinner went out to the lake and shot himself fatally twice for no reason and then somehow got in his car and drove it into the lake. And you'd think Reddick would've had a little more of a reaction to the turn of events. I'm glad we got to see Linden turn herself in, but I would've liked to see her go to jail for the crime. It would've been a fitting ending to her story. She's always someone who is running away from her problems, and she finally gets to a place where she confronts something about herself and knows it will put her in a situation where shecan'trun away anymore.

Having Holder's marriage fall apart in one sentence and then express romantic interest in Linden in the span of five minutes was justextremelysloppily contrived. Throughout watching the show, I never saw anywhere where you'd think Linden and Holder should end up together. It was just so unnecessary and added nothing to the conclusion. It could've ended before the five year jump and still have been a good ending. The ending didn't need to be wrapped in a bow. But then, I found last season's ending just as sloppy.