The King (2019)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 3 Votes
Title: The King (2019)

Tagline: All hail

Genre: Drama, History, War

Director: David Michôd

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Joel Edgerton, Sean Harris, Tom Glynn-Carney, Lily-Rose Depp, Thomasin McKenzie, Robert Pattinson, Ben Mendelsohn, Andrew Havill, Dean-Charles Chapman, Steven Elder, Edward Ashley, Stephen Fewell, Tara Fitzgerald, Tom Fisher, Ivan Kaye, Gábor Czap, Tom Lawrence, Josef Davies, Roderick Hill, Niké Kurta, Nicholas Wittman, Philip Rosch, Lucas Hansen, Tom Lacroix, Cedric Cirotteau, Jack Bandeira, Kristóf Widder, Vincent Latorre, Bence Bakti, Bardó Fenyvesi, Henry Dent, Harry Trevaldwyn, Laurent Winkler, Jeremy Chevillotte, Thibault de Montalembert, Oscar Bennett

Release: 2019-10-11

Runtime: 140

Plot: England, 15th century. Hal, a capricious prince who lives among the populace far from court, is forced by circumstances to reluctantly accept the throne and become Henry V.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

There was talk about this in the Netflix thread, but it deserves its own thread.

Superb cast, performances, directing and cinematography, along with a lack of the usual Hollywood bullshit thanks to it being a Netflix production. Definitely one of the best historical dramas to come out in a good while.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nice, I will give this a shot. I love historical drama's. This should tide me over till the Irishman comes out.

Sterling

El Presidente
Watched this the other day. Was pretty good, certainly better than most of Netflix movies.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Really dug it. Fairly good recreation of Aginourt in it too.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We mildly discussed this in the Netflix thread. I will just echo what I said. It was worth watching and the battle scene was pretty good. I also enjoy period pieces as long as they do not drag on to much.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like this movie was made for the history buff side of my personality. It focused on a couple of tent pole events, with a side of character-arc.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
We enjoyed this one. I kept thinking in my mind how Orlando Bloom playing actions parts in movies kept getting drug through the mud on the net because he was so small. The guy who played Henry V in this gave off that vibe and then some. I think it was still put together very well. Robert Pattinson as The Dauphin was well played. I think it was all around one of the better historical films I've seen in some time.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pattinson's accent was hilariously bad. Other than that, great movie. Chalamet is a sneaky good actor. He showed his chops during the last showdown with William.

His body language and actions during that scene were spot on concerning how you would feel in that moment. The way he tells him to keep his distance, his persistence in his line of questioning, it was all very convincing and makes me giddy for Dune.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, Pattinson and his accent was pretty much the only part of the movie I didn't like, which was surprising because I've liked him in most other things. He was just very over the top in an otherwise subdued movie. The tone was completely wrong.

Joel Edgerton continues to surprise me with his performances. He is very underrated.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Falstaff was the unsung load-bearing role in this movie though, as he was in the shakespeare arc. Prolly the best rendition of Falstaff short of Chimes at Midnight.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, Pattinson and his accent was pretty much the only part of the movie I didn't like, which was surprising because I've liked him in most other things. He was just very over the top in an otherwise subdued movie. The tone was completely wrong.

Joel Edgerton continues to surprise me with his performances. He is very underrated.

Part of me suspects that Pattinson was over the top on purpose. It pays off when it turns out he's a total fucking putz. It's all an act in front of Henry in order to intimidate him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I knew his opening sequence with the sword was troubling, lol. He had this unstable stance that was hilarious. I guess the bad accent just made him bad all around.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought Pattinson was great in this and loved the ascent for the character. I thought it was extremely well acted overall. Enjoyed this more than any other movie I have seen in a while. It’s a type of movie that is unfortunately rare these days.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its basically the Shakespeare Henry plays, except the shakespeare dialogue has been replaced with medieval game of thrones style dialogue and GOT style cinematography. The cinematography also bears some heavy resemblance to another recent Shakespeare film: Macbeth (2015 film) - Wikipedia

It was a really well done film, despite obvious historical nonsense, like the final showdown between Dauphin and Hal. Definitely worth a watch.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Marching Band did Henry V show one year, loved the music, loved the movie... will this disappoint?

Seems from the comments I should start watching asap :)

• 1Worf

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Give it a try, I say! I liked it a lot, and while I like Shakespeare, I have always wished they could pull off the battles on stage. This does that.

Siliconemelons

Last question before I watch this...

Does it make the French look like pussy bastard shitfucks and they can never be trusted and should be eliminated from the face of the earth those snail eating children killers?

and then Henry settles for sweet French pussy and forgets they killed his entire next generation dishonorably and despicably?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Last question before I watch this...

Does it make the French look like pussy bastard shitfucks and they can never be trusted and should be eliminated from the face of the earth those snail eating children killers?

and then Henry settles for sweet French pussy and forgets they killed his entire next generation dishonorably and despicably?

Yes.

• 1Solidarity
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database