The King of Staten Island (2020)

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: The King of Staten Island (2020)

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Judd Apatow

Cast: Pete Davidson, Marisa Tomei, Bill Burr, Bel Powley, Maude Apatow, Steve Buscemi, Pamela Adlon, Action Bronson, Kevin Corrigan, Ricky Velez, Moisés Arias, Lou Wilson, Jimmy Tatro, Pauline Chalamet, Machine Gun Kelly, Domenick Lombardozzi, Carly Aquilino, Robert Smigel, Robert Vidal III, Angus Costello, Lynne Koplitz, Joseph Paul Kennedy, Nina Hellman, Jack Hamblin, Stephen Davidson, Keith Robinson, Luke David Blumm, Liza Treyger, Derek Gaines, Meredith Handerhan, Rich Vos, Bonnie McFarlane, Jay Rodriguez, Giselle King, John Sorrentino, Alexis Rae Forlenza, Rafael Poueriet, Nana Mensah, Kill, Anthony Lee Medina, Nyla Durdin, Katherine Ray Zimmerman, Lilly Brown, Jessica Kirson, Laurence Blum, David Lomax, Casey Davidson, Antony Marino, Nils Johnson, Mario Polit, Mike Vecchione, Hank Strong, Marilyn Torres, Teodorina Bello, Michelle Sohn, Vincent Paolicelli, Kadrolsha Ona Carole, Leonys Delossantos, Ken Holmes, Mark Lehneman, Bob Leszczak, Marisa Marra, Emma R. Mudd, Jimmy Star, Melania Zalipsky

Release: 2020-07-30

Runtime: 137

Plot: Scott has been a case of arrested development ever since his firefighter father died when he was seven. He’s now reached his mid-20s having achieved little, chasing a dream of becoming a tattoo artist that seems far out of reach. As his ambitious younger sister heads off to college, Scott is still living with his exhausted ER nurse mother and spends his days smoking weed, hanging with the guys — Oscar, Igor and Richie — and secretly hooking up with his childhood friend Kelsey. But when his mother starts dating a loudmouth firefighter named Ray, it sets off a chain of events that will force Scott to grapple with his grief and take his first tentative steps toward moving forward in life.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Wife and I watched this yesterday as my love of Bill Burr outweighed the dislike for Apatow and Pete and I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely in the same sort of heartfelt comedy of Apatow's other stuff and I actually thought Pete Davidson pulled this off. Was a pretty interesting look at loss and growing up. Would recommend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I get the feeling this is one of those sappy movies that isn't bad if you're in the mood for this kind of sappy movie.

Be a good date mo... oh wait, LOL.

I'm sure it's fine to good though.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Pretty good. It’s the usual Apatow routine of funny/sentimental/funny/sentimental. I wouldn’t usually pay that much for in-demand but god damn I miss going to the theatre to see a new release.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I really liked it. It's restrained compared to other Apatow movies.

I find Pete Davidson pretty funny

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't pay for it, but I liked it. Thought Pete did a solid job. Movie came off as pretty sincere.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This movie was awful. I hate Pete Davidson so much and this movie did nothing to change that. I gave it a shot since Im a big Apatow fan and Tomei is a smokeshow. 10/10 would not recommend. I cant even think of one funny scene, too much cringe.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
This movie was awful. I hate Pete Davidson so much and this movie did nothing to change that. I gave it a shot since Im a big Apatow fan and Tomei is a smokeshow. 10/10 would not recommend. I cant even think of one funny scene, too much cringe.

I have this downloaded but can't bring myself to play it. I have the same concern. Fucking loathe Davidson.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was dating a chick when this came out. She went and saw it with some friends and she told me how great it was, and couldn't stop telling me how great Pete Davidson was.

I broke up with like a week later.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It seemed alright to me; Bill Burr played himself, and the rest of the cast was largely forgettable outside Tomei and Davidson doing his best impersonation of himself. It's like "We found some east coasters to play east coasters who have east coast thoughts about east coast things. Wicked awesome."

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think this was perfectly cromulent. I didn’t really laugh at all. But the story in itself is enough to watch it. It’s hardly amazing and I’ll never watch it again but it was a fine flick. Maybe it’s because I’m a sucker for 9/11 firefighters widows and kids. The world watched his dad In a sense die on live Tv. And I think this flick did a great job of expressing his own biographical elements of growing up without a dad, who died in the worst way possible, and stunted his growth, emotions and mental health.

I think if this way anyone other than apatow it’s probably a better movie cause his take on the forever man child is played out. But Davidson and Burr did enough to make this watchable. I actually respect the bits about how his dad wasn’t a saint and was a mad man but ultimately a good guy and a good firefighter. A kid growing up barely knowing his dad outside of the hero worship he gets, being able to feel closer to the real man he never got to know was a good angle.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
Finally got around to seeing this. Was fine, but nothing special. Likely will never watch it again, but I don't feel like it was a travesty to invest the time in watching it once either.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database