Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: The Last Dance

Genre: Documentary

First aired: 2020-04-19

Creator: Mike Tollin

Cast: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr

Overview: A 10-part documentary chronicling the untold story of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls dynasty with rare, never-before-seen footage and sound from the 1997-98 championship season – plus over 100 interviews with famous figures and basketball’s biggest names.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, I literally know nothing about sports. I know Michael Jordon, Charles Barkley (I know he was short and could dunk, not even what team he played for), Joe Montana, Steve Young only from a football video game, Bo Jackson, I know the name Jeter, A-rod, Giambi from Money Ball, Dennis Rodman, Larry Bird. That's basically it. I knew that Jordan played for the bulls, Montana and Young for the 49-ers, and beyond that nothing. I just never gave a shit about sports.

Recently someone talked about Jordan here on the board, and I knew he was great, but I didn't know how he was considered literally the best that has ever lived. I see that now. This documentary series is great, I'm a couple episodes in, learning about Scottie Pippin now. Jordan so far seems pretty straight laced, did he have any controversies or did he stay pretty clean for his career? Those fucking videos of him dunking are amazing. How could he jump so high? Four foot vertical leap? Fuck man. I can literally barely touch the net. I can barely slam dunk at the fucking trampoline park LOL where there's a trampoline in front of the goal.

Also, growing up, I remember you'd always hear this story of how Jordan wasn't good enough to make his college team, and practiced so hard to become good. This documentary shows how he basically was great in high school, fucking slayed it in college, drafted into NBA before finishing college, and was best on the team his team / league his first year on the Bulls. Is there any truth to that story of him not being good at some point?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
In a playoff game MJ scores 63 points, about half of his total team. Bird says “that wasn’t Michael Jordan our there playing, it was god disguised as Michael Jordan”

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Almost certain there was another thread? Or maybe it was just in the NBA discussion thread - phenomenal documentary series. Dude is the ultimate warrior/competitor, literally sick with "competition".

To follow up Falxy, Michael Jordan is pretty much the most dominant athlete in the history of sports. His one major scandal is his habit of gambling, but it being before social media and heavy internet usage, along with media absolutely adoring him (for the most part), it was kept somewhat under wraps. Keep watching and you'll get more information on his shot at baseball and what not. He is the first athlete billionaire, and absolutely 100% changed the landscape of Nike and sports apparel and fashion in general really.

Essentially, if you took the perfect athlete, gave him the perfect career, made him an absolute war-mongering competitor, who is a fairly smart guy, and then placed that said athlete in the perfect era for the sporting/entertainment world to explode - you get Michael Jordan.

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Michael Jordan is the pinnacle of competitive athletes.

He is in the top 1% of athletic specimens and the top 1% of hard workers. It is possible to have a person that is more athletically gifted and it is possible to have someone who works harder, but we have never seen the combination of the two at as high a level as we saw with Jordan.

Every single asshole in the documentary who complained about how hard Jordan was on them (like fucking Steven Kerr the bitch) and still complains to this day just refuses to accept the one thing that pushed Jordan to be one of the greatest leaders of all time: he never asked you to do anything that he didn't also expect out of himself and at a higher level.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Michael Jordan is the pinnacle of competitive athletes.

He is in the top 1% of athletic specimens and the top 1% of hard workers. It is possible to have a person that is more athletically gifted and it is possible to have someone who works harder, but we have never seen the combination of the two at as high a level as we saw with Jordan.

Every single asshole in the documentary who complained about how hard Jordan was on them (like fucking Steven Kerr the bitch) and still complains to this day just refuses to accept the one thing that pushed Jordan to be one of the greatest leaders of all time: he never asked you to do anything that he didn't also expect out of himself and at a higher level.

Tiger Woods wants to have a word with you.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah we had another thread, not many posts though.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Thank you for the replies. It's really great learning all this shit. I guess since I didn't watch basketball I never thought about MJ like that. It's crazy how he was so much better, but like the team itself could still lose (even though like they won the six championships.)

Was the money just not there to maybe trade out a couple of their people for some of the other superstars to make an invincible team?

At the end of the documentary, when the bulls were going to rebuild, it showed that Rodman was released. Did he quit the NBA then or end up playing elsewhere? And how did Pippin do after he was traded?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It still pisses me off to this day, they didn't try to work it out to go for a 7th. Fuck you Reinsdorf.

I always thought Collins got shafted, and that Jackson just got gifted one of the greatest teams ever. This series shows what an amazing coach he is, and how wrong I was. Hopefully they do a series about Phil.

I will always believe the 90's Bulls would have tied the Celtics record for 8 straight if MJ didn't retire the first time. I definately understand why he did what he did now though. I would get sick of it too.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database