The Last Duel (2021)

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 3 Votes
Title: The Last Duel (2021)

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Ridley Scott

Cast: Jodie Comer, Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Ben Affleck, Harriet Walter, Nathaniel Parker, Michael McElhatton, Alex Lawther, Zoé Bruneau, Ian Pirie, Sam Hazeldine, Brian F. Mulvey, Caoimhe O'Malley, Zeljko Ivanek

Release: 2021-10-13

Plot: King Charles VI declares that Knight Jean de Carrouges settle his dispute with his squire by challenging him to a duel.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I would like the idea of this movie a lot more if it was Ridley's follow up to Gladiator. Now, not so much, I hope it can overcome it's baggage.
Then again, maybe that's the point and a way for Matt and Ben to hit back at their accusers and make bank doing it.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
/shrug

Ridley Scott is what (quick google) 83 years old now? Not expecting another Gladiator out of him, but if his octogenarian encore is giving us a few more Ridley-Scott-style medieval sword fight and battle scenes in a fun-enough movie or two, instead of another self-indulgent not-Alien Seq/Prequel, I am happy to throw money at it.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Trailer looks pretty good and even if he shit all over his Aliens legacy recently, The Martian was great. Him and Clint Eastwood are going to be gone in the next decade 8(

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Indeed, the trailer does look good and I hope they stick to the overarching events of history, but I guess it wont be winning any awards, due to not meeting it's minority quota, as put forth by the academy...

or maybe the King of France is actually trans, and they don't show that plot line in the trailer.

• 4Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Trailer seems fine. Scott is very hit or miss. I tend to either really love his movies or find them to be a shitshow without much in between.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think Ben Afleck is fine as an actor, but I'm going to have a really hard time taking him seriously in this role.

That said, I really dig Ridley Scott movies. He's had a few misses, but his resume is pretty fucking insane.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

it was the haircuts, ridley

streamland-the-last-duel-matt-damon-ben-affleck.jpg

Goatface

my interest in this was mild at best and would probably only watch it if saw something about epic fights, but don't think i saw anything good or bad.
the dc of Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite films, maybe this could get something special

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't even know this movie existed. Doesn't look like I missed much.

Ridley is ok, still has flashes of good stuff. Damon and Affleck are a waste of time. Tired of their shtick.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Man when I first read it I thought he meant people pirated it with cell phones. Nope he just meant “Them damn kids with their damn phones don’t want to learn anything”

K dude.
Well... he's not wrong.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, I was generally excited to see this, but just heard through the grape vine that the rape scene(s) were more detailed than I was expecting. Shame because it sounded like the fight scenes are great (it's Ridley Scott), but I really don't want to see something like The Accused again. Maybe they aren't as bad as that, but probably will just end up checking it out on streaming one day.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, I was generally excited to see this, but just heard through the grape vine that the rape scene(s) were more detailed than I was expecting. Shame because it sounded like the fight scenes are great (it's Ridley Scott), but I really don't want to see something like The Accused again. Maybe they aren't as bad as that, but probably will just end up checking it out on streaming one day.
Hmm depends for me. Is Matt raping Ben or is Ben raping Matt?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

from IMDB's Parents Guide on the rape scene
Violent prolonged rape is shown twice and discussed verbally frequently.
A women is raped for almost 2 minutes. Very lengthy with no nudity.
The first rape sequence is shown violently for 112 seconds from a particular perspective and the second sequence goes on for 5 exact minutes long.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They go and include something cool like a rape scene and then ruin it by not including nudity? This is like the same horseshit that happened to Sansa. Definitely will not watch now.

• 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Solidarity

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

the duel itself is very good. The acting in the 2 and a half hours leading up to it, was also very good.

The rape scenes are very long and feel even longer. I am not a person generally bothered by things in movie, and during the second time they are showing it, i was sitting there like, "I get it, can we move on? I really do not want to watch this any more", which is probably the point, but there is still a good chunk of movie to go to get any catharsis for what you had seen.

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database