The Last of Us

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
They really should have made the lead up to the ending more tense. Fire fight and chase and all that. Instead they chose to do a lame hugging struggle and a shank? The episode felt like ass because they chose to make the culminating scene cheap and lame. Too bad.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It never really made sense in the game either since Salt Lake had a lot of infected including Bloaters. Reality is the fungus is whatever it needs to be to develop and pace the story, that goes for both mediums. I really dont stress about it too hard as long as the show is still entertaining and well acted which I find it to be.

Realistically, if the fungus developed a way to take over humans, it could do so anywhere I suppose but it would really only spread effectively in warmer climates, so yea a human could still incubate it in the far north if bit, but you are less likely to find colonies of the spore like they showed in Boston museum.

Really they treat them more like zombies with nothing being airborne, it makes it work better for a tv show you dont want actors in gas masks. Also that way they can be anywhere at any time.
The reason the fungus couldn't infect humans was that the body temp was too high for it. Because of climate change, the fungus was forced to evolve to tolerate higher temperatures, which also allowed it to survive in human bodies. I don't think it was ever said that it "needed" the warmer temps. The warmer temps were actually what was killing it until recently. Now the idea that an organism would actually evolve due to a climate phenomenon that lasted less than 100 years is a pretty big stretch, but maybe things happen differently with fungus.

This is my understanding at least. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Correct. The fungus mutated to respond to environmental pressures and also allowed it to infect humans.

Tommy’s town in the game is relatively safe because of the remoteness. The winter makes it harder for the fungus infected to move about, but them being in the boonies and trying to clear out localized infections that might manifest is what helps the most. In both games, they mostly just keep an eye out for random wandering infected and make sure to kill them

spronk

FPS noob
there were a lot of of easter eggs/setup for TLOU2 in this episode too, like the chick Ellie snaps at will be a pivotal character (love interest for a certain character, being vague for anyone who doesn't know) and of course the whole town and Tommy/Maria/their child I assume is a part of TLOU2.

So yeah, anyone hoping seasons 2 & 3 might change things up and make some differences... lol. I'll watch season 2 but after a certain moment I'll probably be out.

next episode is the Left Behind DLC (flashback), then it should be the cult, then the season finale is Salt Lake City.

Cybsled

I really hope they don’t just launch into TLOU2 right away in season 2. Start setting up those plot lines, but at least flesh shit out more. Given the current pace of the show, it’s clear the first game story will be completely done

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
He could be ...

or your prediction could be a swing and a miss.

Waiting a week is gonna suck.

James Franco Flirt GIF

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
My biggest gripe other than the communism is so great shit in this episode is how they show joel pouring out like a faucet and apparently has been doing so for 5+ minutes and he'll live after the other wounded scenes in this. Dramatic effect sure but still. The length of that splinter puts it pretty close to the liver assuming the thrust was up and the faucet matches that. That's a lot of leaking for him to be fine back in commieland next episode.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't played either game, but I am aware that there was a lot of backlash about the way Joel was treated in the sequel. It seems like they're already setting him up to get cucked by the she-man.

For those of you that have played the games, did Joel have the struggle with his self-confidence, etc. prior to heading to the university?

Last edited:

Cybsled

For those of you that have played the games, did Joel have the struggle with his self-confidence, etc. prior to headed to the university?

If you’re referring to him wanting to dump Ellie on Tommy to bring her to the university, that was in the game

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
If you’re referring to him wanting to dump Ellie on Tommy to bring her to the university, that was in the game
I don't recall him having miniature panic attacks over his fears though. Then again, I haven't played it since it came out.

Juvarisx

Florida
I don't recall him having miniature panic attacks over his fears though. Then again, I haven't played it since it came out.

Thats new but they are trying to humanize him more for the SLC arc to have that extra gut punch. Really anyone who has been what he has been though would have major PTSD.

spronk

FPS noob
in the game joel cuts his dick off and declares he is TransInfected and all the clickers leave him alone, its genius writing

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
As the show has gone on, I'm having more and more trouble figuring out what was so great about the game / story. Joel has become more and more of a weak weepy faggot with each episode.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I suppose the DLC flashback was inevitable in current year, but this is a decent enough place for it if you "have" to do it. Let Joel getting shanked stew for a bit to build drama for newcomers etc.

Story/game spolers:

I wonder how far they are gonna go in to the Ellie winter survival bits? In the game that whole sequence where Joel is laid up gets pretty fucking wild her her just shanking dudes to death and the eventual raider/cannibal leader guy getting all mega rapey, seems like a lot for the modern era of TV? Like they've already shied away from all the violence that was specifically directed at Ellie in the games, so are we gonna get this entire scene/battle?

fb0137665140f415fe2ed1fad2671dd4.jpg

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I suppose the DLC flashback was inevitable in current year, but this is a decent enough place for it if you "have" to do it. Let Joel getting shanked stew for a bit to build drama for newcomers etc.

Story/game spolers:

I wonder how far they are gonna go in to the Ellie winter survival bits? In the game that whole sequence where Joel is laid up gets pretty fucking wild her her just shanking dudes to death and the eventual raider/cannibal leader guy getting all mega rapey, seems like a lot for the modern era of TV? Like they've already shied away from all the violence that was specifically directed at Ellie in the games, so are we gonna get this entire scene/battle?

fb0137665140f415fe2ed1fad2671dd4.jpg
don't know if they are going to follow this part of the game faithfully but I bet it won't be Joel coming to get her out in the end of it. She will walk out of there on her own using boss girl power.