The Last of Us

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Anyone that watches this agrees that an 18 year old tranny beats a fit 45 year old male in personal combat

I will gladly prove these people wrong. Any day.

It isn't even a tranny, just a (somehow) roided out female. Which makes it even more unlikely.

Also Joel is like 58 in the show.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
While I enjoyed it I feel like people not familiar with the game must have felt the last episode to be pretty jarring. It’s just not enough character development time for Joel in the show , his caring about Ellie transitioned kind of awkwardly rather than the natural feel it had in the game.

overall though am glad to see more video games getting some series made from em. Would be nice if someone did a quality kotor series. A system shock movie would be good too

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
how has pharma not yet posted that he would have figured out how to extract the cure without harming the girl

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Somehow the elevator in the hospital was working after 20 years while in our office they shut them down 2-3 times a year for repairs or maintenance...

It's the same guy that keeps the dam running. He travels to the hospital 2-3 times a year to work on the elevator. He's a pretty busy guy.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I found it funny they did all that travel but only showed a few woke days of it with gay love bros, BLM city and finally commie USA land and that his whole purpose was for his brother who he found but didn't even go back to after he was wounded and the secondary purpose was to deliver child bitch to fireflys who on the next day they found was wasted and lost tess, but continued this 40 year journey or whatever it was to just waltz into the same hospital that Marlene beat them to on the other side of the US who wasn't even going. Amazing. Gay fungal writing.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Actually now that I think about it... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to essentially take a needle biopsy of her frontal lobe via the "lobotomy" route 🤔

lobotomy icepick.jpg

Minimally invasive compared to what the pediatric surgeon was going to do. Might cause permanent psychological impairment tho, which Joel still wouldn't be cool with. But a full lobotomy intentionally severed connections between areas of the brain at many points in the frontal lobe tho. If the goal was just to take a single tissue sample the psychological effects might be minimal.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I can't remember -- in the episode, they said the plan was to isolate whatever factor allows her body to fight the infection, and figure out a way to synthesize it, yeah?

First they should see if the Cordyceps in her has mutated to the point that it could be used as a vaccine. Would be a hell of a lot easier.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ellie pulled up in the final few episodes. Enough to justify the casting? Maybe.
That was the one thing the show did for me. By the end I actually warmed up to the actress playing Ellie. This was done to such a degree that I would prefer to see her in the video game. They started her out as this cold bitch with anger as her only emotion. The story then eventually explained why she acted like that initially. Later you get to see the actress's range that allowed me to appreciate her character more. That part was well done.

This show could have easily been 20+ episodes and honestly would have been better for it. It would have made the flashback episodes more tolerable as the occasional side story would have been fine. As a reference, Shadow and Bone also has flashbacks, but they are moments within an episode. Flashbacks are fine as a way of explaining a current situation or mood of a character. Using entire episodes when it takes up over 20% of a season was not good judgement. It took away time that would have been better off used too build the relationship between Joel and Ellie. I think budget controlled what they did to a very real degree. Notice they never did show the bombing of the cities in any kind of flashback.

That all being said, I do not feel like I wasted my time watching this. What they did do, for the most part(Elevators,Dams and cold weather), was well done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I thought Ellie was good but she did not read as a 14 year old to me. I didn't really even get the thing with the preacher being a pedo because to me she seems like a 19 year old which is what she is.

• 2Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They could have just honestly made her 17 instead of 14. That would have deviated from the game but it would have allowed the actress to not face the issue of not looking 14. I am willing to bet that discussions were had concerning that detail.

Her friend could have been 18. It would have explained why she was being posted as they would consider her an adult at this point. Then of course she would run to the fireflies and everything could have still happened as it did.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed the season, but had to suspend disbelief and ignore quite a bit to enjoy it. I know nothing about the game. Some of the writing could've been tightened up a bit and I didn't really enjoy the flashbacks. Not super looking forward to the next season because I feel like after watching the trajectory of the first season there will be even fewer zombies and even more "people standing around talking".

TV Shows always do this though. They start with an interesting premise, sometimes even a new take, and then they devolve into the same stupid tropes I've seen dozens of times before. This looks like it'll be the same.

Show kinda makes me want to play the game though.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One part I did enjoy is the end where Joel's nature as a fiercely protective father figure is exposed in its full brutality. Before the cult episode he was just doing a job, and after he had a second daughter. A running theme in the show is "world's fucked, take care of your own". This is shown in every mini-society they visit where they are fiercely protective of itself, though of course commietown is a paradise, christiantown is depraved and native-lodge is peaceful.

Anyway, the last episode of showing how much of a monster Joel can be gives the audience something to ponder about if they can ignore *a lot* of inconsistencies. Did he make the right choice? It's not obvious. My take is that from Joel's perspective the odds for a cure and the odds they couldn't find someone else were poor enough to justify his actions from a moral standpoint (even if strategically it means the Fireflies are probably going to fuck up commietown).

Fadaar

That guy
Even if you did make a cure, you still have the physical danger from what I have to assume is tens of millions of infected out there. Unless the cure could reverse the damage in the infected, which I doubt, then there really isn't a point. It would still take decades to get an even remotely functional society going again at absolute best.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even if you did make a cure, you still have the physical danger from what I have to assume is tens of millions of infected out there. Unless the cure could reverse the damage in the infected, which I doubt, then there really isn't a point. It would still take decades to get an even remotely functional society going again at absolute best.
I don't agree with this but it depends on the producibility of it. The brutality of the local human population is predicated on the risk of acquiring resources without getting bitten. Reduce the risk of acquiring resources and the population will be less desperate.

I don't know anything about the game so they might expand on it tremendously, but if you could extract a cure-fungus, multiply it in a lab, distribute it for growth elsewhere and grant immunization through simple injection, you'd see massive widespread change literally anywhere it distributed to within a year.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Enjoyed the season, but had to suspend disbelief and ignore quite a bit to enjoy it. I know nothing about the game. Some of the writing could've been tightened up a bit and I didn't really enjoy the flashbacks. Not super looking forward to the next season because I feel like after watching the trajectory of the first season there will be even fewer zombies and even more "people standing around talking".

TV Shows always do this though. They start with an interesting premise, sometimes even a new take, and then they devolve into the same stupid tropes I've seen dozens of times before. This looks like it'll be the same.

Show kinda makes me want to play the game though.
Play the game.

• 2Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't agree with this but it depends on the producibility of it. The brutality of the local human population is predicated on the risk of acquiring resources without getting bitten. Reduce the risk of acquiring resources and the population will be less desperate.

Somewhat, but the infrastructure is completely destroyed worldwide. There's still going to be a severe lack of resources and still going to be people willing to kill for what's left. The chances of rebuilding after that to anything like what it was before is going to be zero at least for a few hundred years.

Cybsled

In the game, didn’t they want to kill Ellie because they wanted to harvest all the fungus that had grown interconnected with her brain and nervous system? It always came across to me they wanted a lot of material to work with and didn’t have any contingencies to find a safer option, which seems short sighted.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In the game, didn’t they want to kill Ellie because they wanted to harvest all the fungus that had grown interconnected with her brain and nervous system? It always came across to me they wanted a lot of material to work with and didn’t have any contingencies to find a safer option, which seems short sighted.
Yeah I had to suspend disbelief on that. I kind of expected them to take custody of Elle, treat her like a lab rat and Joel to come back and break her out. The way they went of, "all right we found this golden goose, let's skip the golden egg part and just see if it has a bunch of gold inside" is short-sighted like you said.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users