The Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023)

Genre: Horror

Director: André Øvredal

Cast: Javier Botet, Aisling Franciosi, Liam Cunningham, David Dastmalchian, Corey Hawkins, Jon Jon Briones, Stefan Kapičić, Nikolai Nikolaeff, Nicolo Pasetti, Adam Shaw, Sally Reeve, Graham Turner, Christopher York, Love Yonk, Luke D'Agostino, Woody Norman, Chris Walley, Martin Furulund, Danny Maász

Release: 2023-08-11

Plot: The merchant ship Demeter, chartered to carry fifty unmarked wooden crates from Carpathia to London, only for its doomed crew to endure strange events. Stalked each night by a merciless presence on board the ship, the Demeter eventually arrives off the shores of England as a charred, derelict wreck, with no trace of the crew.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I had heard this was coming out and was somewhat excited because it sounded like a interesting concept.

So I guess the ship will arrive at port with nobody on it? Black doctor man will stop Dracula, though.
I mean might better than the normal horror action schlock, but could have been amazing as more of a slow burn "not knowing what the hell was going on" movie. Hell you could have modeled it the original Alien, and simply changed the scenery and the monster. Just looks to be the same old crap.

I mean if you could somehow get away with not mentioning the fact that it's the Demeter, but the audience figures out it's the ship that had Dracula aboard, could have been your big reveal for people that haven't maybe read the novel or seen any other movie about Dracula. Don't ever show the monster really work up to revealing the mystery in the final third act or something. Would have been pretty amazing.

Leave the trailer nice and mysterious. But it just started the whole movie with just them out at sea, trying to figure out why crewmen are disappearing. Could have been marketed as a monster mystery period piece at sea. Would have been a fun way to tie it into the source idea or material, instead of what looks to be typical Hollywood garbage.

I'm a sucker for horror films though and I guess if it's on a streaming and I'd actually decide to sit down and watch a film , I'll check it out because I love the book and I've seen so many different Dracula movies growing up.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
A horror movie at sea is all I'm expecting. Gimmie that, while sticking to the source material, and I'll be happy. And by that I just mean...

If anyone defeats/kills Dracula then fuck you, Hollywood. End of rant.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Uh, yea, I'm definitely not watching that. Stupid YouTube video covers are an instant nope.
Screenshot_20230813-110320.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
it flopped, dont worry about it.

I can't imagine letting how much a movie made influence my feelings on it. This forum still has a Dredd 2 thread a decade later; and that movie also made about 40 bucks on its opening weekend.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can't imagine letting how much a movie made influence my feelings on it. This forum still has a Dredd 2 thread a decade later; and that movie also made about 40 bucks on its opening weekend.
Right. D&D was a flop by Chuk's standards then even though everyone loved it.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Shawshank completely shit the bed moneywise and its one of my favorites.

Siliconemelons

We are going to base our monster movie on a part from Bram's Dracula

But we don't want our monster just to be like Bram's dracula

But if we don't use the name or anything no one will give two flips about our movie

So its not really based on Anything but a location and ship name

Why no1likeit?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Shawshank completely shit the bed moneywise and its one of my favorites.
there are a lot of examples of this from the 80s and 90s. movies that nobody knew they were good until they hit cable/video. not too many these days. word of mouth usually carries these films. was there any for this? any facebook buzz? :p

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Not sure what the back and forth with Chuk is about but this movie did flop. I *think* I read this morning it made less that 10 million, I'd google it but I don't care that much. Watched the trailer here and I don't even have the desire to steal it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not sure what the back and forth with Chuk is about but this movie did flop. I *think* I read this morning it made less that 10 million, I'd google it but I don't care that much. Watched the trailer here and I don't even have the desire to steal it.
they dont like that i pointed out that it flopped and that there was no rush to see it and most likely would be on video in a month. they assumed i said it was a bad movie. i didnt say that. i just said it was a flop. so not a must see flick. like who gives a fuck anymore, see it in a smelly theater or see it on your 80 inch screen at home. nobody cares. the theater experience is pretty shit these days unless its some kind of IMAX.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

It's a good idea, a solid production and cast, but, while it is ok, it feels like it did not reach its full potential.

PS: I should add that in a strange back and forth, the beginning, when we explore the ship, made be think about a game inspired by that same chapter of Dracula: Return of the Obra Dinn. The film does not do that much with the ship's layout though.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

This movie was pushed on yahoo and its "news" source affiliates hard- so it "flopping" is indeed a failure of "the current age" - it was pushed and praised in articles as things such as "Somehow better than the source material!", "True to the source materials real intentions" and "While true to the source material, it is its own kind of horror monster movie, showing the unique animal side of Dracula!" the most "unique" part I got out of those reviews was that it showed drac weak and increaseing in power as he fed/killed... this somehow was, new? because they made him...more animal and demon like? I mean did they miss the demon-dog-wolf-style part? That part is nothing new for Dracula lore, Bram and expanded...heck even in Castlevania.

I mean, it was such a daring and brave part of the book, in all Bram based Dracula movies etc. it is, like...a scene that is used merely to build suspense. "Why is everyone dead? oh well unload AND DELIVER the boxes yo, union rules, hup hup!"

So sure, it is a good choice to base something off of, as there is room - but your start and end are set... so you either get something good that leans into the source material and uses that to make something great... or you do whatever you want because cool and end up with GoT S8 where you have to end at a spot that you really never aligned with.

edit: underrated dracula movie? Dracula Untold, come at me. Sad there was no follow up as it end capped it into Mina+Drac in the latter half of Stroker's setting (and had a setup similar to Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2 w/ death in a way)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database