The Lord of the Rings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
2.26 star(s) Rating: 2.26/5 19 Votes
Title: The Lord of the Rings

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Creator: Patrick McKay, John D. Payne

Cast: Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Ema Horvath, Robert Aramayo, Tom Budge, Nazanin Boniadi, Owain Arthur, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers, Maxim Baldry

Overview: Lord of the Rings based TV-series, set during the 3,441-year period, known as the Age of Númenor, or the Second Age.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Wife was telling me about this, apparently it's not going to be canon at all.

So, knowing that, it's going to be a ret-con cash grab...yay...

• 1Barf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't get Amazon's service at all. Honestly. I can't imagine there are many people who subscribe to Prime for video rather than for the delivery cost and shopping perks, so why even include it at all? I don't understand what they gain from it. What kind of shitty data are they gathering from their sub-par streaming service? Most of their original content is terrible. Inexcusably terrible. Some of it is decent and one or two of the shows are what I would call "good". None of it is worth subscribing for whereas Netflix has some content that is absolutely worth subscribing for.

Who's in charge over at Amazon? They should have just as much money as Netflix to throw at this stuff. Why are they flailing so blindly?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you assume this is Amazon trying to find "The Next GoT" why pick such a well known setting? I think much of the appeal of GoT on HBO was many people weren't super familiar with the setting and characters. This show will only lead to disappointment.

spronk

FPS noob
I predict it'll piss everyone off. They will try to push the envelope to appeal to mass audiences but it'll still be pretty tame for people used to GoT, Westworld, etc. LOTR fans will be pissed off because everyone is too young and pretty and LOTR isn't about sex and romance-drama.

Oh well, if they suck balls hopefully that gives HBO or Netflix the opportunity to pursue the properties that i think WILL be the next big thing:

- Commonwealth Saga, GoT in space
- The Black Company, GoT where everyone is more evil than Ramsay
- Malazan, I can't even begin to describe this and I'm only 50% thru the series. Its 9800 fucking pages over 10 books on my kindle but its arguably the best fantasy series ever written?
- Rama series by Arthur Clarke. Kinda boring now probably but a really good idea / world building opportunity.
- Ringworld. Could be crazy AF if you sorta ignore most of the books and just focus on the first and build your own ideas from there.
- Broken Empire, Joffrey is smart and the main character

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'd like to see someone pay Hugh Howey to continue with his Sand universe in TV format.

• 1Like

Tenks

I'm sure there are a thousand space cowboy IPs to choose from but I'd love it if Netflix/HBO somehow got the Firefly IP

• 1Barf

Tenks

I predict it'll piss everyone off. They will try to push the envelope to appeal to mass audiences but it'll still be pretty tame for people used to GoT, Westworld, etc. LOTR fans will be pissed off because everyone is too young and pretty and LOTR isn't about sex and romance-drama.

Oh well, if they suck balls hopefully that gives HBO or Netflix the opportunity to pursue the properties that i think WILL be the next big thing:

- Malazan, I can't even begin to describe this and I'm only 50% thru the series. Its 9800 fucking pages over 10 books on my kindle but its arguably the best fantasy series ever written?
- Rama series by Arthur Clarke. Kinda boring now probably but a really good idea / world building opportunity.
- Ringworld. Could be crazy AF if you sorta ignore most of the books and just focus on the first and build your own ideas from there.

Are any of these low fantasy? I quickly googled and most seem to be high fantasy or not-fantasy. I think the appeal of GoT, at least at the start, was that magic took a backseat to politics.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Karsa raping his way across a continent would be pretty good TV.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
A conan anthology like series of straight adaptations of the howard stories would crush.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So this is going to be Shadow of Mordor 3: The TVening.

Will there be loot crates sold on Amazon Prime that affect the TV show?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So this is going to be Shadow of Mordor 3: The TVening.

Will there be loot crates sold on Amazon Prime that affect the TV show?
No, the loot crates are sold on Twitch to unlock bonus episodes

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No, the loot crates are sold on Twitch to unlock bonus episodes

But will my Twitch Prime account give me access to behind-the-scenes looks at the almost-shown-tits of the main elf chick???

• 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
But will my Twitch Prime account give me access to behind-the-scenes looks at the almost-shown-tits of the main elf chick???
The elf dick you can unlock by watching 150 hours of the show, tits are twitch crates only.

But on the show, I cannot honestly think this will be good, for the reasons already listed. Universe is already too well known, fans of it will be pissed off and you aren’t going to bring new people into it. And honestly the LoTR setting isn’t all that interesting now adays (through no fault of its own, it was one of the first in the genre).

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Will an Amazon Key account let the actresses from this show come right into your house and give you a handy while you watch?

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You just know the Eye of Sauron will be watching you through your monitor and recording it for blackmail purposes.

I knew I remembered that from somewhere

amazonsauron.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users
TV show information provided by The Movie Database