The Machinist

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Nah, they should be able to prep and weld that again without much trouble, assuming it's not contaminated. Could probably fix that undercut on the 90 too.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
That really depends on where you are. Some people I know charge 45/hr, other might look at that and knock it out for free in like 30 min.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dropped it off at a fab shop. Praying it works out so I'll have a go to in the area. Guy said he guessed about 40 bucks.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pleased, $45 and two day turnaround. They didn't purge the back so it sugared a little bit but it came off when i was polishing up the whole area, weld itself looks good to me.

I also asked him about my control panel where I need about 20 holes between 7/8 and 2-1/4 cut in a 14 gauge stainless hoffman enclosure but he couldn't come up with anything, looks like i'll be drilling and using knockout punches.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
20191209_073555.jpg

Big work comin.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pleased, $45 and two day turnaround. They didn't purge the back so it sugared a little bit but it came off when i was polishing up the whole area, weld itself looks good to me.

I also asked him about my control panel where I need about 20 holes between 7/8 and 2-1/4 cut in a 14 gauge stainless hoffman enclosure but he couldn't come up with anything, looks like i'll be drilling and using knockout punches.
You building a brewery in your garage or something?

On the Electrical side of things, I'd always use punches over drilling, if at all possible. It's way easier to lay out your center holes first, adjust slightly if needed before punching, as long as you figure the final fitting/device clearance right.

I never did have to cut out square/rectangular holes for displays/gauges very often, though. Always saw people trying to jigsaw those out, if they weren't precut, but I always thought doing that was kind of half-assed. I guess they make punches for those, too, but I don't know if I'd buy any myself unless I was doing a lot of control panel wiring.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I wish I could post stuff from work, I've been there 9 months now and of the 7 products I've designed and prototyped nothing is released yet.. Hopefully soon. 43°C today, glad I wasn't in front of a lathe or mill or welding today..

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Last time I was out on a service call for something that size, it was for a coal-fired electric plant that added 3 lines to a new row of cooling towers. I think it was 5' or 6' inlet lines coming off of their cooling lake. They had me out to help set the positioning on the MOVs and butterfly valves, while they had a guy inside with a flashlight to make sure they were seated correctly.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My last job all we did is large plate structures for power plants. Plus all the misc. large piping that could be fabbed and ductwork. Almost all of it now is C276 which the welders hated.

Used to work for a company that had a giant vertical mill that would make flanges like those from plate.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Hastaloy or whatever it's called? Yeah it behaves really unpleasantly I hear. Our orbital welders work with it a lot for our chemical plant jobs. Say it never really comes out looking as nice as they want it to.

And yeah those flanges and blinds are freaking thick. I had to off load them from the trailers because they won't be needing them on site for a bit.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah hastalloy. Almost all the stuff we built for power plants is now that. $20 million order at a time. We really had to keep track of all the drop.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Definitely not my best work, but it's a new process we all had to learn it. Also nobody else's coupons looked beautiful either, but they all passed face and root bends. 6010 root downhill, nr 208 downhill.

20191230_094358.jpg