The Machinist

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Some more downhill nr-207
20200501_093712.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's fluxcore mig? I thought pipeline welds were all stick.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
They typically are. This is water piping for a huge chiller/boiler building. The engineers wanted to go with it because that's what they wanted to go with. I think its pretty fast, as long as you have a good fit up and a solid root and hot. Got that 66 knocked out in about 4-5 hours.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Trying some different techniques, the positioner makes me look slick!

Attachments

• received_2556090791182571.jpeg
    received_2556090791182571.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 27
  • received_391148208873997.jpeg
    received_391148208873997.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 27
  • received_389483138968495.jpeg
    received_389483138968495.jpeg
    545.4 KB · Views: 27
  • received_192816268995141.jpeg
    received_192816268995141.jpeg
    545.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I would have just bought the commercial part, LOL. But I guess if you can do something custom, then do it I guess

I added the welding video because some of you weld, and that looked to be the bigger issue on him trying to make the part

"If welding is so easy then why doesn't everyone do it themselves"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I've been watching these guys make this 'lawn mower' from old car parts

I like to think of it as the " Tuco Tuco Mower"

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Looks like someone like me who's lazy about cleaning/changing the lens in their welding helmet.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
This is probably a stupid question, but this shear is selling in a local auction.

shear.jpeg

Assuming this could be picked up cheap, I have some use for it as a shear, but I've always wanted a punch press. Would it be feasible to modify this thing so it could be used for punching? Preferably so you could swap back and forth between the shear and the punch press? Kind of a long shot and I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for it regardless but it got me thinking and I don't know much about it.

Last edited:

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
This is probably a stupid question, but this shear is selling in a local auction.

View attachment 352298

Assuming this could be picked up cheap, I have some use for it as a shear, but I've always wanted a punch press. Would it be feasible to modify this thing so it could be used for punching? Preferably so you could swap back and forth between the shear and the punch press? Kind of a long shot and I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for it regardless but it got me thinking and I don't know much about it.
If you have enough engineering knowhow you can make anything happen, but from the looks of it it's not gonna be easy to modify to work Iike an ironworker machine.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you have enough engineering knowhow you can make anything happen, but from the looks of it it's not gonna be easy to modify to work Iike an ironworker machine.
Probably a dumb idea. It wound up selling for over $1200 too so I wouldn't have paid that regardless. I would love to get my hands on an old ironworker but I can't really justify the cost.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Screenshot_20220407-075911~2.png

I haven't been able to use any machines in my new job, I'm a CAD jockey now
I picked up this little guy last night.
Pumped to have a lathe again.
It's still in the car so I need to make room in the shed and set it up. First job is a DRO to be fitted and start making stuff.
Drag bike is getting an updated swingarm with extensions so need some spacers and a bottom linkage made.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 406808
I haven't been able to use any machines in my new job, I'm a CAD jockey now
I picked up this little guy last night.
Pumped to have a lathe again.
It's still in the car so I need to make room in the shed and set it up. First job is a DRO to be fitted and start making stuff.
Drag bike is getting an updated swingarm with extensions so need some spacers and a bottom linkage made.
You still buying old stuff like this? I visited a place in Buffalo today that is switching professions and has a ton of equipment they don’t know what to do with. I took pics of the bridgeports. Told her I’d message a few people I know that may be into this, she said she would love to sell them, didn’t know people restored them. They had a bunch of lathes, mills, other stuff im not sure the status of.

D8CA53BB-1302-42CB-9CA9-DA00A433B753.jpeg
DC4B7F6E-89BB-4A24-AF9B-B5A7A2535E63.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ah, Buffalo.

The Armpit of New York.
Yeah never been before, wasn’t too impressed. I’m glad I got to go on a work trip there and could scope it out. We would have been very disappointed if we had gone there for a family vacation in the future.

• 1Worf

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
You still buying old stuff like this? I visited a place in Buffalo today that is switching professions and has a ton of equipment they don’t know what to do with. I took pics of the bridgeports. Told her I’d message a few people I know that may be into this, she said she would love to sell them, didn’t know people restored them. They had a bunch of lathes, mills, other stuff im not sure the status of.

View attachment 440073View attachment 440074
Yes and no..
I stand upside down on the planet to you haha
There are lots of people out there who fix up old machines and lots who convert them to CNC..
Bridgeports are a good machine