The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018)

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy

Director: Terry Gilliam

Cast: Adam Driver, Olga Kurylenko, Stellan Skarsgård, Joana Ribeiro, Jonathan Pryce, Rossy de Palma, Jordi Mollà, Sergi López, Paloma Bloyd, Lídia Franco, Bruno Schiappa

Release: 2018-05-16

Plot: An advertising executive jumps back and forth in time between 21st century London and 17th century La Mancha, where Don Quixote mistakes him for Sancho Panza.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've always had a soft spot for Don Quixote, and Jonathan Pryce is fucking playing him now?! Sign me the fuck up!

I don't think even Adam Driver can ruin this.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
And I didn't see at first that Terry Gilliam is directing!

This just became my second most looked-forward-to movie after Infinity War

Szlia

It should be noted that Paulo Branco (the producer suing) is a very important figure of portuguese and french art house cinema from the '80s onward. He is considered though to be... if not a madman, at least some kind of film loving crook who is pretty good at somewhat controlled chaos and creative accounting to get movies produced (like magically having subsidies for a movie ending producing another, and stuff like that if rumors are to be believed!). A funny thing, is that he had been working for a while in the french movie industry when he had to go back to Portugal because, well, he had no residency permit nor work permit in France! He came back a few years later. Definitely a guy that gets stuff done though with a staggering 274 producer credits on imdb!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and just as quickly as they were ignited, my dreams were extinguished

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
It should be noted that Paulo Branco (the producer suing) is a very important figure of portuguese and french art house cinema from the '80s onward. He is considered though to be... if not a madman, at least some kind of film loving crook who is pretty good at somewhat controlled chaos and creative accounting to get movies produced (like magically having subsidies for a movie ending producing another, and stuff like that if rumors are to be believed!). A funny thing, is that he had been working for a while in the french movie industry when he had to go back to Portugal because, well, he had no residency permit nor work permit in France! He came back a few years later. Definitely a guy that gets stuff done though with a staggering 274 producer credits on imdb!

yeah so probably the worst possible person for Gilliam to be in a legal battle with about releasing this since Gilliam thinks that producers are subhuman scum that care nothing about art or his vision. Doesn't seem like there could be a lot of compromise involved when pitting these two against each other but I hope that I'm wrong and this sees the light of day.

Branco could probably tie up the release for a half a year then make some concession and get it limited release to big cities if this was by any other director/writer but if even Heath Ledger dying couldn't hype The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus enough to turn that into something crazy a legal battle probably won't end up making this sell any better to non Gilliam fans. There is a shit load of hype in all of the youtube comments from women who love Adam Driver so maybe it will all work out.

Gilliam has stamina but this seems like it will probably be his last film looking back on his release record and it probably being the one that he's most wanted to finish makes this whole thing a real bummer.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’d imagine anyone following the thread has seen it but if not Lost in La Mancha is worth a watch to sort of get up to speed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database