The Mandalorian

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
All they have to do in the show is say Princess Liea or Han Solo are dead, and outside the show say that they are taking a fresh start where the latest storyline is Mandalorian. Ez.

If they don't do this, nothing in the show really matters because it all ends up in a trio of dumpster fires and no space battles matter because they hyperjumped the shark.

QuickSaneCanine-size_restricted.gif
Yea, that was one of the stupidest scenes in all of star wars. A world where suicide hyperdrive is so dangerous would gravitate toward numerous small combat ships and suicide drone tactics over large ships. Since the star wars universe has not done that, logically such a simple attack should not be so devastating. Undermining the logic of your universe on top of such tremendous hand-waving basically erases the investment that people have in the tension of the story. You know something will come along to just defeat the bad guys, so their fate becomes inevitable and boring. I know I didn't give the tiniest fuck about the bad guys in 8 and 9.

As a counter example, reactor cores being a vulnerability is a hand wave in itself, but at least it doesn't undermine the logic of your universe. 4 gets away with it because it was a major flaw and logically reactor core getting blown up = pretty bad. In 6 they basically say they need to attack the station before it is built, because such a flaw won't be overlooked twice. It's a hand wave, but follows a logic.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That Clone Wars show isn't canon though.
so, i know that gendy tartakovsky's clone wars isn't canon, but i don't actually know why. it's not like anything that happened in dave filoni's clone wars changed anything... right? what specifically ISN'T canon about the shorts?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yea, that was one of the stupidest scenes in all of star wars. A world where suicide hyperdrive is so dangerous would gravitate toward numerous small combat ships and suicide drone tactics over large ships. Since the star wars universe has not done that, logically such a simple attack should not be so devastating. Undermining the logic of your universe on top of such tremendous hand-waving basically erases the investment that people have in the tension of the story. You know something will come along to just defeat the bad guys, so their fate becomes inevitable and boring. I know I didn't give the tiniest fuck about the bad guys in 8 and 9.

As a counter example, reactor cores being a vulnerability is a hand wave in itself, but at least it doesn't undermine the logic of your universe. 4 gets away with it because it was a major flaw and logically reactor core getting blown up = pretty bad. In 6 they basically say they need to attack the station before it is built, because such a flaw won't be overlooked twice. It's a hand wave, but follows a logic.
The last three movies were a giant pile of discrete nerdisms that they taped together 5 minutes before the homework assignment was due. Imagine buying 100 chinese fortune cookies and then laying out the fortunes on a table in more or less a random fashion, then taping them together and making films out of the result. Then end result is Finnegan's Wake being narrated by a forgetful epileptic person with a lisp.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

in defense of that reactor core set up. it could just have been a design flaw that they learned about too late in construction and so they added guns around the vent. it was only 2 meters wide, its friggin outer space. who the hell can hit shit in outer space thats only 2 meters wide and with all the Death Star's guns and ships shooting at you? a jedi can, ok sure, but Vader was thought to be the last of his kind. Luke pulling it off was a one in a million thing. now lets say they fixed the reactor core problem. they would have found something else. in the end that death star was fucking toast no matter what because Luke Skywalker was on the muthafucka.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
in defense of that reactor core set up. it could just have been a design flaw that they learned about too late in construction and so they added guns around the vent. it was only 2 meters wide, its friggin outer space. who the hell can hit shit in outer space thats only 2 meters wide and with all the Death Star's guns and ships shooting at you? a jedi can, ok sure, but Vader was thought to be the last of his kind. Luke pulling it off was a one in a million thing. now lets say they fixed the reactor core problem. they would have found something else. in the end that death star was fucking toast no matter what because Luke Skywalker was on the muthafucka.

They learned about it while the rebels were attacking.

Peon: "We've analyzed their attack pattern and have discovered a weakness. We're preparing your escape shuttle."
Tarkin: "Escape, In our moment of triumph? I think you are overestimating their chances."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
They discovered what the Rebels were doing and didn't, ya know, block the hole really quick. The Empire really was incompetent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They learned about it while the rebels were attacking.

Peon: "We've analyzed their attack pattern and have discovered a weakness. We're preparing your escape shuttle."
Tarkin: "Escape, In our moment of triumph? I think you are overestimating their chances."
well, Tarkin was just assigned that command, he didnt build or contract the Death Star. somebody in the head office seemed very aware of that flaw because its in a very heavily protected trench. the Death Star seems like a joke about the Ford Pinto. you touch the gas tank and it fucking blows up the car. Ford didnt know they were manufacturing time bombs. so they hastily tried to fix the problem by putting metal reinforcements around the kaboom part.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The death star has multiple trenches, the one with the exhaust port was a narrow north-south line while the main ones (such as along the death star's equator) are larger and more open for hangar bay access.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
so, i know that gendy tartakovsky's clone wars isn't canon, but i don't actually know why. it's not like anything that happened in dave filoni's clone wars changed anything... right? what specifically ISN'T canon about the shorts?
Basically because the Jedi are like superheroes on that show.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The last three movies were a giant pile of discrete nerdisms that they taped together 5 minutes before the homework assignment was due. Imagine buying 100 chinese fortune cookies and then laying out the fortunes on a table in more or less a random fashion, then taping them together and making films out of the result. Then end result is Finnegan's Wake being narrated by a forgetful epileptic person with a lisp.
Never heard of Finnegan's Wake before.....
538.jpg

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Corridor digital has gone over this ad naseum, but it's far better to deepfake a real actor who has the mannerisms down, and then CGI out the imperfections (usually motion blur). There's only so much you can do with a deepfake overtop of a CGI character, because it's the movements that aren't quite real, the CGI face looks perfectly fine by itself.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So a couple days to deepfake something better than they had all year to do.
Would be interesting to hear the backstory on this. Their CGI was not only excellent throughout the two seasons but also seemed to include modern techniques that incorporated generative adversarial network looking outputs in certain areas (what most deepfakes use).

If I had to guess they had an "inner circle" of people to work on that scene and an isolated environment to do it in that didn't include the standard pipeline of tools.

As an aside, it was nice to see how much they clearly relied on practical effects over CGI.

Oldbased

> Than U
They could deepfake an entire season if they get someone close enough to his appearance. The closer they get, the easier and cheaper it'd be.
Even then you can spot it, sort of like F&F7 when they imposed Paul Walkers face onto a family member at the stop light for a few seconds. Something about it just made it clear as day it was fake and I still haven't figured it out. Same with Luke, it was clearly done well in a still image but watching it seemed unnatural.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This show went from being ok to awesome very quick. The season 2 was wild and the ending was orgasmic, even if I don't really like luke. I was half expecting that R2 had a message for Grogu from Yoda or something.
Everytime Pedro Pacal removed his helm it was great, i don't know if this bitching story is that bad, I guess it's probably amplified by the media, but even though it didn't feel like it was not planned.
Filoni has been working on Star wars for more than 12 years, the knowledge he has about the franchise must be tremendous, that's probably a large part of the success and consistency of the show.
Maybe they will set season 3 in 10 years after this, when Luke abandons his academy; Mando gets back on the quest of finding him while accepting every side quest from random villagers. The time between S2 and S3 could be in the book of boba fett.
Luke CGI looked a bit stiff but it didnt bother me. I found Ashoka to be very well cast. they really nailed it.
Overall 8/10 - I wish they had killed a few people
Can someone explain to me why The Mandalorian is so popular, but the new Star Wars movies aren't? (I'm not being a smartass)

I'm not a huge star wars fan, but I liked the original 3 movies. I don't really follow what adheres to the SW universe and what doesn't or anything like that, but I didn't like the movies with young Anakin, teenage Anakin or jar jar Binks because all 3 of them were fucking annoying. I tried watching one of the newer movies 4 times and just couldn't ever get in to it. There's an X-wing pilot in "Rogue One" that I like, but anything else I've seen in the newer movies was completely forgettable. I haven't watched the last jedi.

All that being said, I like the Mandalorian because I like Pedro & Favreau....but the overall tone of the show feels pretty similar to me as the newer star wars movies. There's a shit ton of very predictable tropes and most of the episodes I feel like I know what's going to happen by the end within 5 minutes of the start.

I'm not trying to criticize the Mandalorian, but I don't understand why "true star wars fans" like Mando but not the newer movies?

• 1Garbage