The Mandalorian

Fucker

Log Wizard
the jedi during that time weren't really "good" people. that was part of the problem. when someone needed their help they would sit and deliberate and debate whether "the force" told them to actually do anything
And these awesome jedi never saw anything coming.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I've been thinking about this a lot since Game of Thrones...
Trying to compare any other showrunners to the complete and total cockup that is Weiss and Benioff is going to yield some really skewed results. Those two are the embodiment of failing upwards in Hollywood.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Trying to compare any other showrunners to the complete and total cockup that is Weiss and Benioff is going to yield some really skewed results. Those two are the embodiment of failing upwards in Hollywood.
I don't even get most of the hatred for those two. They're definitely a couple of woke douches that fucked everything up after they ran out of source material, but I think they did a pretty good job before then? I didn't even know who they were until I started trying to figure out why the writing turned to dogshit

Fadaar

That guy
I don't even get most of the hatred for those two. They're definitely a couple of woke douches that fucked everything up after they ran out of source material, but I think they did a pretty good job before then? I didn't even know who they were until I started trying to figure out why the writing turned to dogshit

When given thousands of pages of highly regarded source material and an unlimited budget you're expected to succeed. They did just fine while following existing material which any competent Hollywood director or show runner could have done with ease.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No, what the fuck ? The deep fake was way better. The CGI Luke was the only bad part of that last episode.

You gained almost nothing in the mouth movement and you completely lost the scale and set lighting.

Its a step down cinematically.

Just because the CGI wasn't good doesn't mean the deep fake is good. Its objectively worse in multiple areas. This is what I meant about deep fake fanboys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
They actively ignored the author of the books and went with their own ideas. This alone puts them at the peak of douchiness.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont know, at least we can all agree the CGI/deepfake Luke still fell short either way.

That article about Favreau saying the Hamill was on set to do the last episode was interesting. AS it wasnt a straight CGI mask over a plate, like the Wolverine one was. They said it was done using Mark Hamill himself, and then de aged him ala Robert DeNiro in The Irishman. That...is incredible if so, because even de aged DeNiro still looked like he was 47 years old in the Irishman. The young Luke in the last ep of The Mandalorian looked like the age they were trying to shoot for (mid 20's or so). His mouth was out of sync, or just....off like we have said, and the weird edge softness, floaty appearance etc.

But if that was a deaged Mark Hamill like DeNiro in Irishman that is impressive as fuck.

edit: and jayrebb, its not about being "deepfake fanboys" its simply a measure of respect for previous efforts that have been better than their originals. Not going to go search but there are multiple examples of convincing as fuck deepfakes that were done and looked markedly better than the original.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
...a couple of woke douches that fucked everything up...
Wokeness has zero to do with it, so go ahead and stow that dumb shit. Blaming zero talent on drooling Culture War whining is letting them off easy.

They are both simple, narcissistic, cokeheads that cup their well moisturized hands over their waxed and bleached puckered starfish and breath deep the accolades of their own hubris.

The writing that either and both of them did going WAY back was just plain bad, and it's only thanks to the cadre of other writers that that show managed to be as good as it was for as long as it did.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They actively ignored the author of the books and went with their own ideas. This alone puts them at the peak of douchiness.
when GRRM stopped doing episodes and working with those faggots thats when the show took a nosedive. thats not to defend GRRM. in fact, fuck him for doing everything he could to stall for a decade. if D&D didnt break with GRRM at that time, they would have had to do something anyway because they burned through the books in just 4 seasons.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Wokeness has zero to do with it, so go ahead and stow that dumb shit. Blaming zero talent on drooling Culture War whining is letting them off easy.

They are both simple, narcissistic, cokeheads that cup their well moisturized hands over their waxed and bleached puckered starfish and breath deep the accolades of their own hubris.

The writing that either and both of them did going WAY back was just plain bad, and it's only thanks to the cadre of other writers that that show managed to be as good as it was for as long as it did.
How many advances to suck their Bagel Eater schmekels did they turn down, exactly? This reads like a lover scorned.

• 1Edgelord

Caliane

All of the Skywalkers were sniveling manchildren. The worst by far was Anakin. That character alone ruined the prequels. I mean...he went to the dark side because the Jedi council wouldn't make him a master jedi. That was his entire motivation for going crazy. Luke wasn't as bad, but he was still a giant whiner. Kylo was the mix of the two coupled with his preposterous Sith Junior helmet. He looked about as ominous as hokey puck and was about as dangerous as one. Worse, Kylo went to the dark side because the jedi wouldn't make his grampa a jedi master. He had no reason to go off the deep end. Essentially, all of the Skywalkers were spineless psychotics who should have been drowned the moment they were born.

Rey? Rey who? The first 5 minutes of her story was cool, then it shit the bed.

why is Mandalorian good? Filoni and Favreu.

Filoni on what duel of the fates is about, and why its called that.
tell me this doesn't make you reconsider Anakins bullshit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I'm late to the party, but just want to say two things;

1) Got the big reveal spoiled by Youtube faggots because they all put it in the thumbnail AND the text AND that shit shows up in Recommended in every corner of the screen despite never watching any of their channels.
2) Still lost my shit when Luke showed up.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I watched it all and loved it. I hated 1,2,3,7,8.. And won't watch ep 9
When the "single" x-wing came in I knew it had to be Luke and was pumped.. When grogu was sitting on the rock ball with the blue light I thought it'd be Luke who came.
Bit of a shame he didn't talk to the rebel chick though.. There has to be some history if only loosely, at the same base once etc .. Looking forward to stories that don't involve a Jedi though.
I have so many EU books and there are so many great stories to be explored.
I was gutted when the EU got axed from cannon.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm late to the party, but just want to say two things;

1) Got the big reveal spoiled by Youtube faggots because they all put it in the thumbnail AND the text AND that shit shows up in Recommended in every corner of the screen despite never watching any of their channels.
2) Still lost my shit when Luke showed up.
same happened to me. this was only maybe an hour after the episode dropped and i was planning on watching it the next day and a bunch of fucking assholes wanting to be first couldnt wait to spoil that shit like they think everyone else is watching this shit at 3am. motherfucker. at least wait til the next day. anyway, it didnt totally ruin it for me because i so loved seeing Luke come back and not as a fucking homeless bum begging for some change.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
If only the movies had portrayed them as anywhere near as strong.
I actually really wish the Genndy clone wars hadn't been memory holed. I need to track down those on the high seas apparently. I absolutely loved them at the time. Shame the movies they tied into ended up being so cancer.

They were cartoony, obviously, but honestly pretty awesome. Previous to the current Luke ass kicking and the Vader in Rogue One, there really was very little evidence of how powerful Jedi and Sith for that matter could actually be. The short little vignettes of Yoda, Mace, Obi, etc in the series really gave you a sense of how strong each of them was in the grand scheme of things.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The deep fake is worse. MUCH worse. Look at the lower lip during "he wants your permission".

The movements are very stilted even with a better "shell" over the physical actor. Part of CGI isn't so much trying to make it look exactly like "the thing", but avoiding any glaring error that makes you realize "that is not the thing".

The deepfake failed at that much more.

Also, some of you guys talking about the costs of these things is hilarious. It's like Bill Gates guessing what a gallon of milk costs only in reverse.
A good friend of mine is a production finance exec, it's pretty interesting to talk to him about the decision process for this kind of thing and how it affects time/cost.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
A good friend of mine is a production finance exec, it's pretty interesting to talk to him about the decision process for this kind of thing and how it affects time/cost.
The choices between CGI vs Practical vs Mixed vs Cut/Edit the Scene have ruined or made many a show. As your friend will attest these are the kind of decisions made months in advance of cameras rolling and are the bane of both business side producers and creative producers.

And either way you go, the nerds on the internet could have always done it better.

For the record, I would have been in that writers room advocating for never trying to show Luke's face at all. Using shots of his hands (one gloved and one not), Marks voice and R2 you could have imparted the meaning and gravitas of the scene while keeping the audience needing more and paying fan service. At most you have him keep the hood up and hide your CGI all the better.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
So Peacock( Syfyish) has started filming/pre production on Battlestar Galactica coming 2021/2022 and new Stargate seems to be all but approved now
2019/most of 2020 sucked for shit but between the flood of shit coming, it's going to be a good few years.
I mean fuck, we even getting Coming to America 2 and Beverly Hills Cop 4

• 1Like