The Martian, starring Matt Damon and directed by Ridley Scott

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm excited that this awesome book is being made into a movie. I'm not sure how excited I am about Ridley Scott or Matt Damon, simply because I don't know that the book really fits what I envision them creating. However, I'm not really opposed to it either, and I think Matt Damon, though an easy target, has done some pretty good movies overall. I did picture the guy in the book a little differently, mostly because of his self-deprecating humor, but I think Damon will probably do just fine.

On the plus side, having those two attached to it means it would get the full budget treatment it deserves, so that's a good thing no matter what. I'm excited to see what becomes of this.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm not good at it but someone should translate an excerpt of the 1st chapter to a Boston accent so we know what to expect.

Juvarisx

Florida
Scott's futuristic and space stuff is still pretty good, say what you will about Prometheus, the setting / visuals are great. Just keep that hack Lindelorf far away from anything he does again thanks.

iannis

Musty Nester
I doubt it will be as good as the short stories. They're gonna wind up hollywooding the shit out of it. The hollywood parts of the story were the weaker parts. It will be a pretty movie, but I don't see Scott being able to maintain the core of it. It is a fairly simple adventure story... but Scott isn't going to make Space McGuyver: Da Movie. He just fucking isn't going to make that movie.

But hey, at least they're taking source material that is of a higher quality than a comic book.

I'd like to see Wool done also. It'll never be done well, but done adequately would be fine.

Edit: If it'd been the guy who made "Moon" I'd have more interest in the finished product. Google says Duncan Jones. That guy probably WOULD make Space McGuyver: Da Movie.