The Mentalist - Now With More Spoilers!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
After all these years, Patrick Jane finally got the man who killed his family and he did not hold back.

that being said this show is going to be drastically revamped starting next week. people will be leaving the show. in other words the ratings are down this season from last season and the corporate fucks are going to kill the show. oh well it should technically be over and done with tonight.

'The Mentalist' regroups and moves forward, in time[/spoiler]

The sixth-season hit resets after solving its Red John mystery.

The Mentalist is redefining itself.

In last week's episode, the FBI started shutting down the California Bureau of Investigation, home to consultant Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) and a team of law-enforcement agents. Tonight (CBS, 10 p.m. ET/PT), the show will resolve Jane's central quest to find Red John, the serial killer who murdered his wife and daughter.

And next Sunday, the sixth-season drama will jump ahead two years in its characters' lives, with the CBI out of business and its former members scattered. Jane isn't even in the country.

Red John "has helped define who (Jane) is as a character completely from the very beginning. It's been the driving force and the objective of my character is to find this guy," says Baker, who also directs next week's episode.

He compares the time jump between the two episodes to the development of a young child, with changes to the characters becoming more dramatic with the passage of time.

"You see how things have manifested over those two years. You see some real shifts in character and approach to life," Baker says. "It really does deal with the idea of what's missing in his life and how he's lost his mojo. It's a coming of age in a way."

BIG CASE: What about Red John?

MORE: What does Robert Bianco say about this week's episode?

The Mentalist joins a number of other shows, including Desperate Housewives and Fringe, that have pushed the calendar ahead to change their characters. Series creator Bruno Heller wanted the series to have time to examine how Jane deals with life after his main focus, Red John, is no longer a factor.

"A dark cloud has been lifted from him. . We wanted to see what Jane is like without this burden, a more joyous and happier Jane, a Jane who is free to think about what to do with the rest of his life," he says. Romance and happiness may be possibilities.

Two years after the end of the Red John case and the dismantling of the CBI Sacramento headquarters, former senior agent Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney) is in northern California and married former agents Wayne Rigsby (Owain Yeoman) and Grace Van Pelt (Amanda Righetti) are in San Francisco. (Both characters will be written out later this season).

Another team member, Kimball Cho (Tim Kang), is in Austin, the previous stomping ground of FBI agent Dennis Abbott (Rockmond Dunbar), who is assigned to close the CBI after its infiltration by a secret society of corrupt California law enforcement agents, including the man at the center of the Red John manhunt, CBI director Gale Bertram (Michael Gaston).

Dunbar will be a series regular going forward, as will Emily Swallow, whose Kim Fisher character will get the better of the brilliant Jane in a battle of manipulation, Heller says. Yeoman and Righetti eventually will be leaving the series, as has been rumored, but not until much later this season.

'What was so interesting about Bruno's take is that he wanted to do it in the middle of the season," says Glenn Geller, CBS' executive vice president of current programming . "I think when the audience sees and understands what the time jump is about, how the character processes what has happened, how the other characters move forward, it's going to feel very natural."

The Mentalist is averaging 11.1 million viewers, down 4% in viewers and 13% in young adults compared with last season.

When The Mentalist returns after the end of the Red John story, "Jane has run away. He wants nothing to do with his old life at all. Lisbon has fewer options because she's a cop. She has to be a cop. She has made a new life for herself, (but) after two years she finds she's thinking about Jane all the time," Heller says.

The initial geographic separation between characters won't keep them from interacting. The show "redefines the relationship between Jane and Lisbon in a real and adult way. That's a really strong element of the show," Baker says.

"The new world that Jane and Lisbon inhabit is a world of higher stakes and bigger strategies. They won't just be solving crime in California," Heller says.

He says a revamped Mentalist could tell stories for some time.

"What the show really lives on is Baker's talent," Heller says. As long as Baker is enthusiastic and up for the challenge, the show can run as long as you like."

Szlia

I don't watch this show but... shouldn't big spoilers for a recently aired episode be in the thread for the show allowing people who will watch it later to avoid the thread instead of the whole TV forum?

Krag

Peasant
I don't watch this show but... shouldn't big spoilers for a recently aired episode be in the thread for the show allowing people who will watch it later to avoid the thread instead of the whole TV forum?
Yes, that would have been a stellar way to go about it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
maybe normally, but this show has been going on for 6 years and its been mostly one big cocktease with previous seasons of jane getting clues on red john in maybe 2 or 3 episodes out of a 30ish episode season. this season every episode has been red john centric and its no spoiler that a showdown was going to take place. they had to do this because as i said the ratings are down, people stopped giving a shit about the show because we have been jerked around for 6 years on this premise. he really should have killed red john like 3 seasons ago when jane killed "red john" in a crowded cafe. they pulled a fast one when it turned out the next season he just killed one of his henchman.

they were doing shit like this all the time. a certain witness who knew red john would get killed at the last second or they left some pissant little clue for Jane to follow up on. you can only do this for so long before people get sick of being toyed with. the show aired. jane FINALLY got Red John. anyone who ever watched or watches the show will not feel like the thread title was spoiled and people who have never seen the show will likely not give a shit or if they were interested in it can at least be happy that yes after 160 episodes you finally see the star of the show kill the guy who killed his family in the pilot.

all that being said, i have not said who red john turned out to be. red john isnt his real name

Karloff_sl

shitlord
I always figured Jane was really red john.

I gave up after 2 seasons, It's one of the few shows were I felt the primary character was so insufferable I couldn't watch anymore. Though I'd be curious to hear who red john was.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I changed the title and put your crap in spoilers.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord

I gave up after 2 seasons, It's one of the few shows were I felt the primary character was so insufferable I couldn't watch anymore. Though I'd be curious to hear who red john was.
Red John turned out to be Sheriff McAllister, played by Xander Berkeley. He appeared in five episodes according to IMDB over the course of the show so there is some consistency there with that character popping up now and then.

I havent watched the show in a couple years but I did catch the reveal episode just to see it wrap up. The confrontation between Red John and Jane wasnt nearly as intense or thorough as the confrontatoin at the end of the third season when Jane met with the guy in the mall who claimed to be RJ. I was a bit disappointed in that regard but finally some closure to that way too drug out story was nice.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I changed the title and put your crap in spoilers.
why? the show aired last night. red john centric episodes is only 10% of the program which are generic mysteries. one of the reasons people stopped watching the show was because jane never catches red john and when he finally does and i let people know, you edited it out.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Red John turned out to be Sheriff McAllister, played by Xander Berkeley. He appeared in five episodes according to IMDB over the course of the show so there is some consistency there with that character popping up now and then.

I havent watched the show in a couple years but I did catch the reveal episode just to see it wrap up. The confrontation between Red John and Jane wasnt nearly as intense or thorough as the confrontatoin at the end of the third season when Jane met with the guy in the mall who claimed to be RJ. I was a bit disappointed in that regard but finally some closure to that way too drug out story was nice.
that episode was a bit surreal. who was that crazy chick with the knife in the church? she just strolled up and tried to kill Jane and then they follow her exit out and thats it? i was expecting some shyamalan twist at the end. dun dun dun! mrs red john! the real mastermind!

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
I chalk her up to being a fine example of the disappointment they turned Red John into. Early in the series having a creepy ass always watching you serial killer pop up randomly, slaughter people then disappear in a puff of smoke and taunts was fine. When he turned into a Bond villain with legions of followers and they repeatedly played the "who else could be RJ's accomplice?!" game it got tiresome. New character shows up? They work for RJ was always the safe bet.

iannis

Musty Nester

lol, this. But Mister Jane being insufferable is the appeal of the show.

His ladycop boss... oh god, his ladycop boss. I think I stopped watching after the episode where she prances around in lingerie because... they're not gonna ever top that on a network show.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
that episode was a bit surreal. who was that crazy chick with the knife in the church? she just strolled up and tried to kill Jane and then they follow her exit out and thats it? i was expecting some shyamalan twist at the end. dun dun dun! mrs red john! the real mastermind!
She will end up being Red Johns padawan or some bullshit. Was about fucking time they wrapped up the red john shit.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
lol, this. But Mister Jane being insufferable is the appeal of the show.

His ladycop boss... oh god, his ladycop boss. I think I stopped watching after the episode where she prances around in lingerie because... they're not gonna ever top that on a network show.
Robin Tunney is lingerie, you don't say.... Always though she was pretty cute in The Craft, even though she was wearing a wig.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was watching encino man last year (dont ask why) and one of the valley girls looked familar and holy shit, its agent lisbon. she can be quite bitchy.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I assume she will show up again. When they are going to the cemetary, before the camera pans to Jane's family's gravestones, she is at a headstone with flowers. Then, post-confrontation, she just slyly walks away past all the FBI people. I assume she will be back as some kind of "revenge on Jane by the red john acolytes" episode later in the season.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there were 4 WTFs in just that one scene. jane keeps pigeons on his body, he stuck a gun under a church pew at some point we dont see, crazy knife chick attacks him and we never find out how red john knew who Jane's list of suspects were.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
why? the show aired last night. red john centric episodes is only 10% of the program which are generic mysteries. one of the reasons people stopped watching the show was because jane never catches red john and when he finally does and i let people know, you edited it out.
I don't care personally. I don't watch this turd. However, multiple people reported your post.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
there were 4 WTFs in just that one scene. jane keeps pigeons on his body, he stuck a gun under a church pew at some point we dont see, crazy knife chick attacks him and we never find out how red john knew who Jane's list of suspects were.
Right before Jane does what he does, Red John spurts out something like "Ill tell you how I got the list. I am a real psychic."

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Wasn't there something else that RJ knew about Jane -- something very personal? At one time it did seem like PatrickwasRJ. Would've been a cool twist. Instead we got this lame conclusion.

Series was never great, so shouldn't come as a surprise. Simon Baker and Amanda Righetti are the only reasons I still watch.