The Menu (2022)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I saw it as her refusing to give up her position even if things were coming to a close.

By itself it would make sense, but why would the chef purposely not tell her to make her look bad when he didn't know Margot/Erin was even going to be there in the first place? Also not sure why he'd fuck her over like that and replace her with someone he didn't even know would choose to die with the workers instead of the patrons

Oldbased

> Than U
I saw it as he was giving them a chance through trial by combat. He didn't really care which of those 2 died, as long as one of them did.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One thing I will note about this movie.

It will make you seriously crave a cheese burger. Damn that scene when he cooked it up and served it....

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie felt like they cashed it in the second half. I went into this not knowing it was going to be a satire piece, but even once I found out the satire went too on the nose direction for my liking. Not horrible, not very good either. 6.8 out of 10

Hamburger was definitely on point.

Anya TJ is the definition of a weird boner

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Enjoyed it, didn't run over too long or wander off topic. Sure, the basic idea is silly but I don't have a problem with a movie setting up a weird premise and sticking with it, and this movie did that in a focused way.

Anya Taylor Joy may be one of the best working actresses right now in her success/fail rate, her last few gigs have been great from Queens Gambit, Last Night in Soho, Menu, Northman and Peaky Blinders. Only missteps were New Mutants and Amsterdam and nobody saw either thing anyways.

She's gonna be in Furiosa (as Furiosa) next year and Princess Peach later this year.

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
Enjoyed it, didn't run over too long or wander off topic. Sure, the basic idea is silly but I don't have a problem with a movie setting up a weird premise and sticking with it, and this movie did that in a focused way.

Anya Taylor Joy may be one of the best working actresses right now in her success/fail rate, her last few gigs have been great from Queens Gambit, Last Night in Soho, Menu, Northman and Peaky Blinders. Only missteps were New Mutants and Amsterdam and nobody saw either thing anyways.

She's gonna be in Furiosa (as Furiosa) next year and Princess Peach later this year.

anya is hitting it out of park with her choices. amsterdam should have been good but i think just completely awful writing. couldnt make it past about 30 min. anya has charisma, is pretty, but it all depend, she is so unique that 'beautiful' doesn't matter w her. similar to noomi rapace, intriguing, interesting, pretty?, but not beautiful. 100% opposite of katherine heigl, who may be beautiful, but fucking awful to look at on the screen !!

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There were two points where I fucking died laughing. The "Tyler's Bullshit" part and then the very last second of the movie. The look she gave before taking that last bite was perfect.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
after watching this then reading the reviews on the various sites, it makes me want to make a movie where they set movie critics on fire as well. could have called it voldemorts restaurant or something.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just saw this, I enjoyed it but my wife wasn't sure, was a bit too weird for her.

Caught myself saying that it was "an experience" then got worried that I'd end up in a movie where a burnt out film director captures his audience and kills them lol.

Last edited:

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
This movie was fantastic, and I say that as someone who absolutely hates about 80-90% of what's been released movie and TV-wise in the last 5 years or more.

I went in pretty blind, and wouldn't even have given it a shot if I didn't remember seeing a blurb about it from the RLM vid from a few months back. I remember the ads for it being interesting as well. The first place you go is, "Oh, it's a horror movie and PEOPLE are on 'The Menu'! LAME" because horror movies suck and are 97% stupidity written by and for morons. But they didn't go there at all.

Everything goes pretty much in a semi-believable direction with increasing levels of "Hmm, wait... what's happening?" Combined with a lot of sharp satire, especially with Hoult's character. Although the food critic and the toadie are pretty spot-on as well with their dialogue when it comes to pretentious foodie BS. Actually all the characters are pretty sharp satire IMO. Stock bros who think they're above it all, the movie '''star''' who doesn't really care about the food and is more interested in clout or being seen with 'the right people' even if he has no idea if these are in fact any of those people.

Then it all starts to go off the rails when the guy shoots himself. The kitchen staff then goes on like it's no big deal, WTF! Not only was it no big deal it was premeditated and part of the menu!

From there it's kind of(?) horror-ish in that you're rooting for the girl to get away from the situation of near certain death, but I'd say that's the only really horror-ish element. The rest is to be understood as the blackest of black comedy with a RICHLY deserving target: super-rich idiots obsessed with food as a status enhancer. The part that sealed it for me was why Leguizamo's character was there: his not terrible but overhyped movie pissed off Chef on a flight. Holy shit awesome, I'm dying. Shades of Hot Fuzz where killing the little guy wasn't a grand conspiracy to grab the land and cover it up, but because the house wasn't in keeping with the village's 'rustic aesthetic', and the other guy was a bad actor who 'murdered Bill Shakespeare first'.

For those saying ATJ's character should have kept the knife... really? You saw all the hulking security guys, right? She's maybe 120lbs, right? You've been watching too much marvel if you think that's the least bit realistic of a scenario. Not that absolute realism is high on the list in a movie like this, but still. Plus it killed me that the guy who got caught last in the henhouse wasn't beat up or anything, he got a food reward. And instead of being weirded out he's like, "Eh... actually that looks pretty good... Thanks!"

What really makes this movie is the acting though. Ralph Fiennes is PERFECT in this role, the movie absolutely doesn't work without someone like him carrying it. ATJ and Hoult also are excellent.

9/10 for me, thoroughly entertaining and smart dark comedy with all kinds of unpredictable wtf-ness.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I like Ralph.

I don't like murder shows, fancy people, foodies, or people with 140% eye spacing.

Movie sucked. Aeon Flux out of 10.

Edit- the cheeseburger scene was good

• 1Direct to DVD

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like Ralph.

1684101527140.png

We can get you some of Ralph being sleezy.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ralph was good the whole way through this movie. He's good in everything. In Bruges Ralph is best Ralph.

This movie was just....unnecessary. I felt like I knew where it was going to end up after the first 5 minutes, then I just had to sit through 2 hours of cunts to get there. No twists or unexpected turns. It's a movie full of pretentious people that's about revenge aimed at pretentious people, but all the foreplay is unsatisfying.

Cut out every single frame that doesn't have Ralph in it and I'd enjoy it more

• 1Direct to DVD