The Metal Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Katatonia and Daylight Dies are two bands that aren't quite as good, but still capture some Opeth-esque essence

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd put Brave Murder Day right up there with Opeth's best albums, but that's sort of cheating since that was the album with Mikael ?kerfeldt on growls because Jonas Renkse had destroyed his voice by that point (which led to Katatonia's huge change in musical style).

I would assume someone with a username of Blakkheim is already pretty familiar with Katatonia though.
wink.png

Daylight Dies is great too. Unending Waves is still one of my favorite melodic death songs of all time.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You had me up to Novembers Doom. They are the definition of by the numbers shitty doom death.

Vorph

True, they probably don't belong in that list, and I could've listed many better bands if I'd thought about it for more than a minute. I do like The Pale Haunt Departure though, especially the last track on it (Collapse of the Falling Throe). But yeah, go ahead and replace them with Swallow the Sun... better?
biggrin.png

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
It's pretty hard to find "better than Opeth" if you're talking about "Still Life/MAYH/Blackwater Park" Opeth. There are only a few albums I've heard that can stack up to that, and all of them involve Dan Swan?.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson / Crimson II / Purgatory Afterglow
Dan Swan? - Moontower (more prog, less death, but still fantastic)

I listen to a ton of melodic death/doom metal that has the pretty/heavy thing going, but very little of it contains any of the prog influences that Opeth has. Stuff like Draconian, Callenish Circle, Amorphis (Black Winter Day era, not the shit they put out now), Novembers Doom, etc. are all good examples, but I wouldn't really compare them directly to Opeth or Edge of Sanity.
Yeah, thats what I'm finding out. Not a whole lot of options out there that kind of fit into the Opeth mold. MAYH is still probably my favorite album of all time. April Ethereal still blows me away every single time I listen to it.

Already own Crimson and Crimson 2. Both albums are incredible as far as I'm concerned. Its been a long long time since I listened to Purgatory Afterglow but I found it a bit harder to get into at the time. I should probably give it another try though. Same thing with Moontower. Amorphis is great. Not as familiar with the other bands you mention.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I'd put Brave Murder Day right up there with Opeth's best albums, but that's sort of cheating since that was the album with Mikael ?kerfeldt on growls because Jonas Renkse had destroyed his voice by that point (which led to Katatonia's huge change in musical style).

I would assume someone with a username of Blakkheim is already pretty familiar with Katatonia though.
wink.png

Daylight Dies is great too. Unending Waves is still one of my favorite melodic death songs of all time.

Katatonia? Who the fuck are they?!

Seriously though, I'm actually not a huge fan of them. Some of their stuff is alright though. A lot of it just comes across a a bit too "angsty" if you know what I mean.

What I am a huge fan of though....

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
My friend put together a show in September (Brooklyn NY) and you guys are welcome to come.

Acheron
57 Waterbury St
Brooklyn, NY
Friday, Sept 13th
doors 730 pm
21+
$15

Vorph

Agreed. Found this last year tho, is a good opeth influenced band. In time i'm sure they will have a great catalogue. Love the vocals!
Tobias Netzell of In Mourning also did vocals on October Tide's 'reunion' albumA Thin Shell. He didn't stick around for the follow-up, but I have both albums and if I didn't already know that the vocalist had changed I probably would not have guessed. Neither is as good as the two the band released back in the 90's--which is a tall order as I still consider Rain Without End to be the greatest doom/death album I've ever listened to--but I'd still highly recommend them.

Rain Without End is especially notable because it's the last thing Jonas Renkse of Katatonia did before destroying his voice to the point where he could no longer do harsh vocals at all anymore.
frown.png

Rain Without End:

A Thin Shell:

Tunnel of No Light:

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone who has Marrow of the Spirit as their avatar is okay in my book. As for April Ethereal, it's a great song, but I still think Blackwater Park and The Moor are my 1a and 1b concerning Opeth's discography.

I've been listening to Callisto's Noir and Les Discrets' Septembre et ses derni?res pens?es. Both are fantastic albums.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Callisto's Noir
Nice. I caught these guys at SXSW in like 2007. It was one of just a handful of US shows they've ever played. Noir was my favorite atmospheric sludge album for a really long time. I doesn't hold that spot anymore, but I still really love it. Great album.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Do you still lose your metal card if you like Trivium? I always had blind hatred for them and can't remember why, but i downloaded their catalog after being hit by a few of their songs on Pandora and I'm liking a lot of it. Some of their stuff sucks, and In Waves is a terrible album, but their early stuff defniitely has a heavy thrash and Metallica feel to it.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Ember to Inferno and Ascendency are both pretty straight melodic death albums. I've grown out of that sound as a whole but I doubt fans of that genre really care either way about their earlier stuff. It's not like Avenged Sevenfold or anything.

I think they got pretty shitty later on but started out ok? I remember hearing Ember and thinking they had a ton of potential. Especially for how young they were with that album.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I go back to Exhorder every so often. This album was so fucking heavy back in the day, not to mention they are the band Pantera ripped off when they changed styles so drastically.

Trouble's new record is out now too, best they've done in over 20 years. One of the originators of bluesy doom.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Trivium are pretty god damn awful imo, but we all have our guilty pleasures.

Fuck, I was listening to FIREHOUSE the other day. I think I lose my heterosexual card with that one.