The Newsroom

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
I thought season 1 was pretty good all around, a few meh moments. I like the fact that this basically starts as soon as A Game of Thrones ends too.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Ahh Im late then. Searched for it and didnt find it, I blame the fall of FoH. I had never heard of this show before but it looks good. Im going to start watching the series this weekend.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
It had its moments but at times it completely disappeared up its own arse. Charlie and Sloan were the only two likeable characters.

I'll watch season two though, there's a hell of a lot worse out there and the good parts were worth sticking through the dross.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed season 1. Not the greatest show HBO has ever done, but I'm really looking forward to season 2. If you happen to be a Tea Party supporter I can see this show being unwatchable heh. Sorkin is obviously not a fan.
tongue.png

tongue.png

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if anyone saw it, but on The Daily Show, they did a piece called Investigating Investigative Journalism, and John Oliver did a skit with the Newsroom people. Was fun.

After having seen how nearly every tv show/newspaper article/magazine that deals with investigative journalism have been shut down in Norway in the past decade, my reaction to the news from CNN gave me the same reaction as Oliver.

Couldn't find a youtube link, but the video of it is here.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/carynjame...newsroom-video

Think it aired jan 14th.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you are a sanctimonious liberal who likes to be told that you are smarter than everyone else then this is definitely the show for you. If you like characters that talk and act like human beings then not so much. If you want a realistic portrayal of a newsroom, then this is definitely not your show. I heard Sorkin interviewed on "Fresh Air" on NPR and Terry Gross, who is usually polite and should be a sympathetic liberal audience pretty much openly mocking how ridiculous his "newsroom" was and laughing right in his face about it. I was pretty surprised.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which is interesting to hear because Dan Rather reviewed the first half of the season for Gawker last year and constantly talked about how much of a realistic portrayal it was...

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Which is interesting to hear because Dan Rather reviewed the first half of the season for Gawker last year and constantly talked about how much of a realistic portrayal it was...
Reason I posted the link earlier from the daily show. Funny/sad how the person who used to work for CNN now writes for Newsroom. One thing I think is fairly accurate on that show is the overarching story of corporate interests vs news. Probably one of the things that is downplayed compared to reality.

But the part of the video where Oliver demands a speech from the newsroom anchor cracked me up.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
It was way too full of itself and there were way too many long winded conversations to feel remotely believable, however it's still pretty decent and has the talent to be good

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
First half was somewhat tolerable. Second half just lost all moorings on reality. Not only do I not believe a multi-million dollar newsroom is run like that, I don't believe any office full of adults is run like that. Seriously, it's like every person on there is eternally stuck in co-ed college dorm rooms.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dan Rather probably buys into his own hype sort of like Sorkin.

Szlia

I think it's a very important show and one of its problem is that it is aware of its own importance. The whole rom-com aspect is also mostly weak.