The Night Of

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This show isn't just about the case and who did it. It is about all the fallout from that one night and the struggle of a naive, innocent kid in the face of the justice system. It looks like they will start digging into what really happened next week.

That would be much more fitting if it wasn't for the crazy circumstances that got him arrested in the first place. A poor kid caught up in a messed up justice system just doesn't go with what we got from the first episode.

sole

Molten Core Raider
That would be much more fitting if it wasn't for the crazy circumstances that got him arrested in the first place. A poor kid caught up in a messed up justice system just doesn't go with what we got from the first episode.

Exactly. Even if they wanted to take the show in the direction they did (kid experiencing culture shock) they could at least make it interesting. Instead, the past 3 episodes have droned on about prison etiquette, that's it, with the occasional interruption of chopstick-foot-scratching. Really disappointing because the first episode was extremely good.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

We are getting there. It would be completely unrealistic if the detective rolled into that gimme of a case and decided to keep digging. I agree, it is jarring because the first episode set up like an epic mystery we were about to partake in.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
We are getting there. It would be completely unrealistic if the detective rolled into that gimme of a case and decided to keep digging. I agree, it is jarring because the first episode set up like an epic mystery we were about to partake in.
Sure, but did we need 3 episodes to get where we are right now? Maybe it'll all pay off, but feels like they could have done all of that in one to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've read somewhere they wrote the ambulance chaser laywer gig for Gandolfini and I think Turturro is doing a great job, but while the show has great production values (both Janice and Benny from The Sopranos in a single scene, also OMAR and that giggling cunt from Boardwalk Empire) I think we've already had too much of those high scrutiny crime / procedural / cop drama out there.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
In a way I get the pacing so far. It's the "logical" order of the events that would actually go down in a case like this. But after the first episode it does feel a bit like a bait and switch.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Yeah the 1st episode was fantastic and thought it would be a who dun it type show. The following episodes are good as well just not what i was expecting to be honest. Man wonder how many people are rotting in jail cause of these types of circumstances....really fucked up if you think about it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Seriously, who hasn't had a chick you were doing drugs with be stabbed to death while you're in the next room and then you run away with a knife you stabbed her with earlier but then you come back and break back into the apartment just in case there wasn't enough evidence against you at that point and then lie to the cops when they pull you over?

This could be any one of us.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Seriously, who hasn't had a chick you were doing drugs with be stabbed to death while you're in the next room and then you run away with a knife you stabbed her with earlier but then you come back and break back into the apartment just in case there wasn't enough evidence against you at that point and then lie to the cops when they pull you over?

This could be any one of us.
No, no i mean having evidence stacked against you and you being fucked into having to plea to get a reduced sentence even though you know you didnt commit the crime but have no real feasible way of proving your innocence and relying on the Justice system and your peers to set you free. Those circumstances Sherlock.....me love you long time OH ME SO HORNY!!!

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think what Ambiturner is saying, is that in order for you to fall victim to the circumstances that are being shown in this show, you have to go out of your way to pretend to be the dumbest person on the fucking planet.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Not really, even if he sat there and called the cops and been the smartest person on the fucking planet he is going down for that murder. Even the dumb shit he did still does not prove he murdered her, but because there is enough evidence to convict him of the crime there was absolutely nothing he can do differently to change his outcome. You think he is guilty? They showed him walking up the stairs in a stupor and he could of done it still, just go by his character they have shown and his parents/brother....what do you think, is he guilty and if you are a Juror with said evidence would you say "Guilty"?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I really liked this episode. They are definitely trying to show that he could have done the murder. Glad they are getting things moving.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not really, even if he sat there and called the cops and been the smartest person on the fucking planet he is going down for that murder. Even the dumb shit he did still does not prove he murdered her, but because there is enough evidence to convict him of the crime there was absolutely nothing he can do differently to change his outcome. You think he is guilty? They showed him walking up the stairs in a stupor and he could of done it still, just go by his character they have shown and his parents/brother....what do you think, is he guilty and if you are a Juror with said evidence would you say "Guilty"?

All the dumb shit he did makes it a lot less of a "man the system is fucked up" and more of a "dude, you really fucked up"

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Yeah this episode was rather interesting, shows he is more then capable of holding his "good boy" persona and losing it when needed. How did you feel about this last episode Ambiturner, you like it?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They're definitely muddying the waters as to his innocence.

I really wish they'd devote less time to the foot saga though. They've crossed over into Bizarro World Tarantino territory.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
The pacing of the show is starting to piss me off as well. I was loving it but god damn get a move on already. Although the latest episode wasn't as bad.

As for showing Naz's rage side ... not sure I blame him for any of it. Everyone in that prison is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I wish the show was just a buddy miniseries with Detective Box and John Turturro. The kid just irritates me mostly. Makes the worst decisions and just spirals into worse and worse situations. It's like Sansa Stark.

Also I thought the dong thing was hilarious. I think they're trying to show how this is all just 'their job' to them which would freak out normal people completely. All this shit is just another Monday to the people working the case.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I wish the show was just a buddy miniseries with Detective Box and John Turturro. The kid just irritates me mostly. Makes the worst decisions and just spirals into worse and worse situations. It's like Sansa Stark.

Yeah the shows good in all the scenes Naz isn't in. Could have done without the repeated dong shots, though