The Night Of

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't understand why they cut from him being upstairs to him being passed out downstairs. They should have shown him going downstairs and then passing out, leading me to speculate that...

the kid did do it.

If I were in Naz's situation, I'm calling the cops immediately. There's already way too much evidence at the scene, even if you were able to dispose of the knife, clothing, and shit you're still going to be caught. DNA, fingerprints, eye witnesses, and footage from security cameras in the area are usually enough to find someone. I watch a lot of First 48. He was fucked no matter what, might as well be honest.

Then again if I did actually ever murder someone, which I wouldn't, I'd probably just flat out tell the police and take responsibility.

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well, he was panicked and had no clue what to do. In a similar situation, I think most people would want to just get out of there. Its understandable. I think it'll be interesting to see what really happened. I just hope it isn't something contrived and stupid as has been mentioned in other posts here.

Woolygimp

Well, he was panicked and had no clue what to do. In a similar situation, I think most people would want to just get out of there. Its understandable. I think it'll be interesting to see what really happened. I just hope it isn't something contrived and stupid as has been mentioned in other posts here.
Something I noticed was that when he runs out, the door is locked behind him. He has to break in to open it, then runs out. Later, when the cops show up they're able to open the door as it isn't locked. This kind of makes you wonder, did someone lock the door behind Naz? The door doesn't seem to autolock. That locked door is probably the biggest clue that it's not him, if it's not an oversight by the writers.

And yeah I know he's panicked, but every innocent person who comes across dead bodies usually immediately reports them to 9-11. They don't spaz out like that, and that's just adding fuel to the fire if he's truly innocent. Calling the cops and just being honest (probably with a lawyer present) is the only right play here, as you have to understand that if they charge you then they're letting the real killer walk. Cops leave you in a cold interrogation room for hours, making you uncomfortable, and then come in with a partner (showing power) and then go from being very polite to being incredibly blunt very quickly. This is all to try to make you break down, slip up in a lie and then confess once you're caught lying. They really tend to rely heavily on their instincts. If you're honest and they believe you, they may look at other possibilities, however remote.

If I were a cop, given the breaking and entering and him trying to dispose of the knife... he's beyond Casey Anthony/OJ level guilty to me and I'd probably never change my mind or consider another suspect. That's why informing law enforcement yourself that there's a dead body is so important, yeah there's a lot of evidence but at least you're not actively trying to deceive them from the get-go by hiding shit, like Casey Anthony. Speaking of her, I recall that they found some evidence on her computer after her exoneration which pretty proved she was guilty beyondanydoubt.
Casey Anthony detectives overlooked Google search for "fool-proof" suffocation methods, sheriff says - CBS News

WKMG reported that sheriff's investigators overlooked over 1,200 entries including the suffocation search from the computer's Mozilla Firefox browser, which was most commonly used by Casey Anthony. Investigators also pulled 17 vague entries from the computer's Internet Explorer browser.

Whoever conducted the Google search looked for the term "fool-proof suffication (sic)" and then clicked on an article about suicide that discussed taking poison and putting a bag over one's head, the station reported.
I just think you have a much better chance being completely honest and upfront about the events of the night, than you do actually getting away by hiding evidence and them not tracking you down. Any decent detective would have been able to track him down like 95% of the time considering what's already present at the scene. If they don't, if he's ever arrested (for anything) and his prints/dna go into the database, he's fucked. Once you're fucked, you're really fucked.

Woolygimp

Just want to add like Detective Box said, "You're in the house, the house is on you." He had sex with her, and that right there usually means that you're probably not going to get away. He drives away in an cab with easily visible numbers on top of it. They'll find out an outdoor camera on one of the roads leading away from the scene and... fucked. There are a lot of people who have those things on their houses even, and that's literally the first thing cops look for (besides witnesses), even before they really absorb the physical evidence. They just drive around looking for cameras in the area.

On one First 48, in New Orleans, a guy shoots another guy in the street and is literally caught on like 3-4 separate cameras from different locations. One showed him riding his bike to the scene, another the shooting, another his face, and so on. It was one of the most boring episodes, lol.

Woolygimp

Did anyone else notice the door locked behind Naz?

This is the show I'm looking forward to the most this season, when does EP2 air?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Did anyone else notice the door locked behind Naz?
You serious? That's literally why he had to break the glass to get back in AND why the neighbor heard and saw him as a result.

And that isn't out of the ordinary at all by the way.

Woolygimp

You serious? That's literally why he had to break the glass to get back in AND why the neighbor heard and saw him as a result.

And that isn't out of the ordinary at all by the way.
How is that not out of the ordinary? How did the door lock behind him? It's not an auto-locking door, and the girl was dead. Cops didn't need to reach through and unlock the door, they opened it right away.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I watched first episode up to the part he broke the window to get back inside and he cut himself. I just cringed at how stupid he was and turned it off.

Simas_sl

shitlord
This show is awesome. I want to know why the fridge was open when Naz woke up, and what the girl was getting away from (wanted to be far away from downtown, can't be alone tonight, etc).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How is that not out of the ordinary? How did the door lock behind him? It's not an auto-locking door, and the girl was dead. Cops didn't need to reach through and unlock the door, they opened it right away.
What? I mean, what? I get the impression you do some amazing drugs and would love to know 1) what kind and 2) where I can buy.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I watched this last night (didn't know it was already on HBO though). The fact that the guy wound up downstairs and cannot account for how he got from the bed to the kitchen cannot rule out the possibility that he did it in a drug/alcohol fueled rage. We know zero about the girl (who she knew, why she 'couldn't be alone that night', why she wanted to go to the ocean/river, etc.) so that makes me wonder there is someone she was avoiding/afraid of? One question that me and the wife was wondering. Is it standard procedure to keep the guy in the back of the police car while they are investigating the break in? Seemed weird how they just let him sit there watching the cops respond to the crime scene (no idea on time but it felt he would of least been sitting there an hour). The show seems to make the cops look like idiots, where there seemed to be a weird chain of custody on evidence, bringing Nas to the station but no doing anything with him (nor telling the desk cop why he's even there), etc.

I like it so far, gives off a True Detective vibe.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If this guy did it, he is the worst criminal ever. What an idiot!

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
If this guy did it, he is the worst criminal ever. What an idiot!
I can see it though. The guy is a follower, she even said 'don't you do whatever someone tells you'. I could see the girl telling him to use the knife on her (like when he stabbed her in the hand) and it just gets out of control, he just doesn't remember. On the other hand, one would think he would have more blood on him if it went down like that.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
So I watched this last night (didn't know it was already on HBO though). The fact that the guy wound up downstairs and cannot account for how he got from the bed to the kitchen cannot rule out the possibility that he did it in a drug/alcohol fueled rage. We know zero about the girl (who she knew, why she 'couldn't be alone that night', why she wanted to go to the ocean/river, etc.) so that makes me wonder there is someone she was avoiding/afraid of? One question that me and the wife was wondering. Is it standard procedure to keep the guy in the back of the police car while they are investigating the break in? Seemed weird how they just let him sit there watching the cops respond to the crime scene (no idea on time but it felt he would of least been sitting there an hour). The show seems to make the cops look like idiots, where there seemed to be a weird chain of custody on evidence, bringing Nas to the station but no doing anything with him (nor telling the desk cop why he's even there), etc.

I like it so far, gives off a True Detective vibe.
Having been in the back of a police car once or twice myself, yes they will keep you in the back of the car (and in holding) while they do other shit if it takes priority. And it is not uncommon for chain of custody laziness/fuckery when the cops are busy or miscommunicate.

And lol at people thinking Naz did it himself. Youre waaaay overthinking it. He'd have blood all over himself if he had done it, unless you think he then took a shower and washed his clothes in a drug/alcohol fueled rage before taking nappy time. It's fairly obvious he went down to get a post-sex snack, didnt find anything good in the fridge and so settled on a glass of water, then passed out. Meanwhile, someone else comes in, does the deed and walks out. Possibly the dude even rifled through the fridge while naz was asleep and left it open before he left.

The show is going to be about Turturro's character finding the real evidence and killer.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Hated the first episode. Wife liked it. Can't relate to retarded protagonist, don't give a shit about any other characters so far. True Detective S1 made me immediately interested in the characters. It's a crime to compare it to that.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I thought when the chick was saying she didn't want to be alone that night was more towards not wanting to be high alone since they took the pill after.

They made it a point to articulate every single piece of evidence ... him leaving blood everywhere, stabbing her in the hand, cameras while driving the cab etc. If it turns out he did it though it'll be lame. I am not sure we saw the killer just yet.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That chick is trouble, and I imagine is a spouse of someone else that is serious trouble. The brother with the skullcap/doo-rag looked long and hard at her and probably knows her significant other (maybe a girl? who knows). Imagine the kid is going to hear some stuff through the grapevine in jail about the activities of that night. Not to mention, that is a really nice neighborhood, that's an expensive place for a reckless girl.

Hope the kid didn't do it, I agree it'd be a little too hamfisted.. that being said, he can't recall going from the bedroom to the kitchen.
Clip on reddit claims there is a blurry take of a hearse on the street when Naz is driving away. Too blurry to tell. Also just realized that the knife he stabbed the chicks hand with is still in the same spot downstairs.The Night Of - Covered Motorcycle - Album on Imguralso a screen cap of the scene where Naz picks up his girl

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That chick is trouble, and I imagine is a spouse of someone else that is serious trouble. The brother with the skullcap/doo-rag looked long and hard at her and probably knows her significant other (maybe a girl? who knows). Imagine the kid is going to hear some stuff through the grapevine in jail about the activities of that night. Not to mention, that is a really nice neighborhood, that's an expensive place for a reckless girl.

Hope the kid didn't do it, I agree it'd be a little too hamfisted.. that being said, he can't recall going from the bedroom to the kitchen.
Clip on reddit claims there is a blurry take of a hearse on the street when Naz is driving away. Too blurry to tell. Also just realized that the knife he stabbed the chicks hand with is still in the same spot downstairs.The Night Of - Covered Motorcycle - Album on Imguralso a screen cap of the scene where Naz picks up his girl
Only thing I'd change is I don't think she's the spouse of someone else that is serious trouble, but rather their daughter.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I liked the first episode. Wife did as well.

Kid is retarded regardless if he did it or not.

I thought this was loosely based on a true story, but after reading up on it last night, don't think it is.

It was interesting enough to keep my HBO Go sub rather than canceling it right after GoT ended, at least.