The Official Drum Thread

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
We have the Official guitar thread, and after reading the drums and bass thread... here's the official drums thread!

360_F_195349022_G1LWyRrZb30fnsiF1EqHdaCFHwRSk7kq.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I ended up buying an entry level 5 piece Pearl kit on Facebook marketplace for $300. Probably should've negotiated it down cause it has a fair bit of chrome pitting (only really saw it when I got it outside and started cleaning it up).

Have a drum key coming tomorrow. But even with them being out of tune, it's been a fucking blast. I need to get some hearing protection for sure, and also an extra cymbal stand (the Pearl kit has a combo crash/ride), because I ordered some quiet cymbals and pads for the drums. The cymbals and hihats on the kits are pretty dog shit either way, with the hihats sounding like I'm beating on a trashcan lid. I'm sure part of that is me being new at it, but I doubt they sound great either way.

Only downside is my wife doesn't really want me to practice when she's home, and one of the dogs just got spayed yesterday so I'm not sure when I can play again. Neighbors didn't seem to mind and were impressed I hadn't played before.

It's pretty crazy how the rock groove is in basically every single song. It's something I never would've heard before but now I can't stop hearing it.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Electronic kits are the way to go these days. Save the acoustic kits for shows, practice at home on the electric with headphones.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
An electronic kit is definitely high on my list of want/don’t need. My youngest is starting to show some interest, so I’ll have a set in a few years for sure.
My only experience was a shit ton of rock band/guitar hero back in the day, but I could pass 95% of the songs on expert with high levels of accuracy. Obviously not the same as a real kit but I can definitely tap out a good number of rhythms and follow along with hands/feet to at least the main groove of a lot of songs.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
An electronic kit is definitely high on my list of want/don’t need. My youngest is starting to show some interest, so I’ll have a set in a few years for sure.
My only experience was a shit ton of rock band/guitar hero back in the day, but I could pass 95% of the songs on expert with high levels of accuracy. Obviously not the same as a real kit but I can definitely tap out a good number of rhythms and follow along with hands/feet to at least the main groove of a lot of songs.
The basics of rhythm are the easiest part of music theory. Especially if your kiddo is gonna start learning, you might want to take the time to learn some rhythm theory basics. Really no tougher than dealing with fractions in junior high math, once you get the vocabulary and basics down you can put together a lot of the more advanced ideas on your own without needing to study advanced theory. But the basics are really worthwhile, and the sooner you understand them, the more the rest of what you learn will make sense.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
The basics of rhythm are the easiest part of music theory. Especially if your kiddo is gonna start learning, you might want to take the time to learn some rhythm theory basics. Really no tougher than dealing with fractions in junior high math, once you get the vocabulary and basics down you can put together a lot of the more advanced ideas on your own without needing to study advanced theory. But the basics are really worthwhile, and the sooner you understand them, the more the rest of what you learn will make sense.
For sure, but she’s 4 so a ways to go yet. Shows a lot of interest and enthusiasm for music. Right now it’s banging on stuff with chop sticks, singing full on songs with made up lyrics/“melody”, and dancing all over.

it’s very similar to one of my nieces who is now 14 and plays piano, cello, and taught herself guitar/ukelele. Great singing voice as well.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Electronic kits are the way to go these days. Save the acoustic kits for shows, practice at home on the electric with headphones.
I waffled back and forth quite a bit on that. There was an electronic Yamaha kit, also I think for around the same price, that I almost went to go see.

But everything I read said you should really just go with an acoustic if you can because the feel (mostly bounce) is dramatically different. Like, yeah, you can drill the movements and everything, but everyone says within a month or two you'll wish you had an acoustic. Granted, there's also apparently not a huge learning curve changing from electronic to acoustic, but you're also increasing the cost (and space of two kits) dramatically.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, ideally an acoustic kit is the way to go. Electronic kits have come a long way fortunately, even cheaper ones.

Unless I come into a large sum of money and have my own sound proofed studio, it won’t be acoustic for me.

Anyway, what are some favorite drummer for you people?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I waffled back and forth quite a bit on that. There was an electronic Yamaha kit, also I think for around the same price, that I almost went to go see.

But everything I read said you should really just go with an acoustic if you can because the feel (mostly bounce) is dramatically different. Like, yeah, you can drill the movements and everything, but everyone says within a month or two you'll wish you had an acoustic. Granted, there's also apparently not a huge learning curve changing from electronic to acoustic, but you're also increasing the cost (and space of two kits) dramatically.
Main advantages of electric kits are quiet practice and ease of transportation. If neither of those are an issue then it doesn't matter near as much.

Tho the ability to load different patches for drum sounds on electric can be really fun.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i won a bid on an alexis nitro for 150 and 15shipping, which was weird cuz everyone else had shipping at like 80bucks, then i get this
1a7f31f975167f3ff0aebd8aaa0a0dfd.png

my bleeding heart was almost gonna respond, but then i saw that he was from california, so fuck that faggot, he's gonna eat the shipping and he did, haha

anyway i wanted the alexis nitro cuz ppl said it is auto recognized in clone hero (independent rock band), and yea, connect a usb cable and works great.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I’ve been following this guys YouTube channel for a couple years. Has some great guests, pretty much all metal style stuff. Anyway, good bit of insight into people’s processes/practice/etc and entertaining.

Newest ep is Chris Turner of Oceans Ate Alaska and his own solo stuff.

• 1Like