The Official Guitar Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading the pups in the squier. The ultra is already a higher end sss strat, so unless you were doing something different with the pups in the squier you'd just be making a shitter ultra.
Yea, but if you can find a set of used laces or something fun and the guitar plays well it's probably worth $75 or whatever

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading the pups in the squier. The ultra is already a higher end sss strat, so unless you were doing something different with the pups in the squier you'd just be making a shitter ultra.
actually yea, i was gonna change the squire to a hss but she wants to keep it the same so she can use it as a travel guitar.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Gretsch 2655 JR fresh out of the package and didn't clean it up. I had first thought JR was a scaled down guitar but it's the same scale length and body length, the width of the body is little narrower. Adorama had it on sale before Christmas for $229. It came very well set up, the fret ends are well done, the string height and nut were right on and the intonation was dead on as well. It definetl needs better or locking tuners. Not bad for a guitar that was more than 50% off. The Tremelo version was a little more but I passed on it. Midnight saphire, another color was $10 cheaper. My cheapest guitar by far but it's easier to reach around and play and is very light, around 5 pounds give or take as a guess. Looks dirty but it's styrofoam bits.

View attachment 508443
Okay, that thing is fine! I've got a Gretsch White Panther and need to pick up a couple more. Love the TV Jones pickups!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Been playing with the above mentioned Gretsch. I already had another Gretsch 2420 but wanted to try to JR and for $230 figured why not. It's very sad to say it. But those foreign made guitars are getter better and better. It needs better tuners that are locking. At some point in the future maybe new pickups, maybe. It was set up so good. Very low action and in fact I might raise it just a hair. No buzz though. The fret ends were very good and. I bought a new Fender American a little over 20 years ago and this was out of the box much much better. My squire contemporary telecaster was very nice as well for a foreign import guitar. I liked it alot but was looking for something lighter.

Sad part, my blues JR is dying. I've had it forever. I have a twin reverb but this place is way way too small and confined to use it. So using my fender mustang micro headphone amp, which are pretty damn good for $100 or whatever I paid a few years ago.

Been slowling working on my American Telecaster. New broadcaster pickups but l'm not in a real big hurry.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What's so bad about foreign guitars getting better? You don't like better quality at lower prices?

Love my Eastman I just got. Great guitar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Rather buy American even at a higher price and often do on various other things. But like the old Joke. Fender American guitars made by Mexicans in the US, Fender Made in Mexico guitars made in Mexico by Mexicans.

At the rate it's going which is almost there the US is going to lose the guitar making industry except for true custom guitars. I'm surprised Gibson hasn't priced themselves out of the market compared to the price/quality of imports nowdays. How many Gibsons are still made in TN?

I guess I am odd man out. Price is not the limiting factor on most things I buy and often pay more to get something made in the US. Maybe it's because my business and entire industry is 100% made in US.

Moebiwan

shitlord
What's so bad about foreign guitars getting better? You don't like better quality at lower prices?

Love my Eastman I just got. Great guitar.

Love my Eastman as well. Bought an E6D a couple of years ago and it's fantastic. Balanced tone, stays in tune, beautiful guitar. It's not a D18, but it didn't cost $3000 either.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm going to G3 with the OG lineup with weekend. That album was inspirational for me in high school. Listened to it so much.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Am I crazy or does the Boss Katana Mk2 sound insanely good?

Especially when you feed it into the comptuer for extra pedal options.

• 1Like