The Official Guitar Thread

Duppin_sl

shitlord
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/pr...ing-dog-boxer/

It's got gorgeous cleans, and breaks up nice (it's got a unique output control dial that sortof works like an attenuator or master volume, but better) but it's also $1300. I could get a reissue Twin Reverb or Princeton or something for less, but I like the idea of having something a little bit unique.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That link is confusing. The link says it's a Boxer, but the page is for a Rottweiler. That amp series sounds solid. 20-watts would be plenty.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Your wiring must be wrong on those EMGs, because in all honesty they basically sound the same in most guitars - or at least close enough that you'd be able to tell someone was using EMGs. Call up Zakk Wylde, he'll set you up.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I think I have the amp thing solved; I can't justify the $1200 for that Alessandro even though it's amazing.

I put a hold on a used 2x12 Deville at Guitar Center yesterday.

edit: The guitar duckface is getting out of hand:
553101_665886983441350_1968045754_n.jpg

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sooorta related to the current amp discussion.... but not really.

Anyhow, back in high school a friend of mine 'Bob' saved up and bought a mid 1980's full Crate stack that was in fantastic shape. He'd been playing for maybe 3 years and was really excited to get it. So the next day another friend and I go over to his place and took it. Bob freaked the fukc out and for a few hours we let him think this other friend that had been staying with him took it. Good times.

Now back to duck face.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
That's cruel, sir.

I'm actually still waffling, too. I played another amazing amp today, at $999. A Fargen Blackbird 40.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
So, this thread is totally turning into the Duppin Thread, but I did a bunch of thinking last night.

I'm going to dial way back on the GAS for now. No more amps, no more guitars. MAYBE a pedal or two so I can start learning more about effects (an overdrive and a reverb pedal, I'm thinking, since my amp doesn't have built-in reverb).

My little Vibro Champ has tons of tone, and aside from the jam I play at, most of my playing is still in my livingroom. So I don't need some big beefy amp yet. I can save it as a present to myself down the road.

Right now I just need to concentrate on getting better. Practice harder, shop less.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm going to dial way back on the GAS for now. No more amps, no more guitars. MAYBE a pedal or two so I can start learning more about effects (an overdrive and a reverb pedal, I'm thinking, since my amp doesn't have built-in reverb)..
That's a terrible idea. Everyone gives in to the GAS. It's good for you. There's nothing like that New Gear Smell.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
SHUT UP YOU GODDAMN BASTARD

Slaythe, that's exactly the plan. When I hit some good milestones, I'll reward myself with a pedal or something.

Seventh

Golden Squire
SHUT UP YOU GODDAMN BASTARD

Slaythe, that's exactly the plan. When I hit some good milestones, I'll reward myself with a pedal or something.
Admitting you have GAS is a milestone. Congrats, sir!

Now, reward yourself with a spiffy new amp, new guitar, or effects processor at once.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The sad thing is, that's exactly what's going to happen. I have the money I put down on the Deville sitting at GC, I'll probably use it to pick up a cheap reverb pedal.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Don't be afraid to reward yourself from time to time. Gear can help motivate.
Comedy aside, this is extremely true. A really nice guitar, or a high quality amp almost always leads to more woodshedding time. When I got my Suhr strat, I spent the next month or so learning blues and jazz standards.

(now I just use it for Maiden tunes..)

Seventh

Golden Squire
The sad thing is, that's exactly what's going to happen. I have the money I put down on the Deville sitting at GC, I'll probably use it to pick up a cheap reverb pedal.
Consider a floor multi-fx unit like an HD400. You can get the 400/500 for under $500 all day long on ebay. They have a shitload of effects, plus amp and cab models. You can run them into your amp, or into your computer, or both at the same time. Great for recording, great for having a bunch of cool effects on your playing/practicing rig, and they're built like tanks. Added bonus: Everyone buys them, so if you end up thinking "This is too complicated" or just plain think it sucks, they're easy to flip back over for no loss.

Seventh

Golden Squire
That'd be pushing my budget a bit. How about this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-ME-...46-i1509963.gc

My thought is that I can use it to fuck around with for now, and then down the road use it for effects that I don't want often enough to have a dedicated pedal for but would still like to have once in a while.
The problem with those (and almost every less expensive effects unit) is that they're a giant pain in the ass to program. This is $100 more and a lot, lot, lot, lot better, and easier to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-POD-H...item3383b21b2f

Or slightly cheaper - not quite as good but still damn decent, especially for $200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-POD-X...item4d0fe1343d

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Anyone here rock an eleven rack? I fucking love the thing. I did a trade out for tech work and in exchange got the bogner red ecstasy pedal not knowing I had the model in the rack. They sound near identical. These modelers are getting pretty awesome as time goes by.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone here rock an eleven rack? I fucking love the thing. I did a trade out for tech work and in exchange got the bogner red ecstasy pedal not knowing I had the model in the rack. They sound near identical. These modelers are getting pretty awesome as time goes by.
Picked up one earlier this year, and have been very happy with it. Probably the top of the pack in regards to modelers below the KPA / AxeFX price range. You can pick up a used one now for 350ish all day long (without PT). Really nice bang for the buck. Little lacking in the FX department, but what it has is solid. Not as if you can't run other pedals and shit to pick up the slack.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I might go shop for a reverb pedal.

I don't think I'm going to go for a multi-effects after all; I already have a pretty decent OD, so all I would really want at this point is a reverb and maybe a looper. I don't need shit like a flanger, etc.

I've tried a few amps with digital reverb and they were all blahhhhhh. So I suspect a reverb in a multi-effects is going to sound similarly blah.