The Official Guitar Thread

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So I've been playing again for about a year now, playing various $3-500 models of guitars, and doing okay. Decided to splurge on the ESP LTD JH-600 because I wanted something with a floating bridge, and after playing with a couple Floyds and talking to my friends that have been playing a long time, I decided to go Kahler, and they're not really very available on production models, this is one of the few. This is a $1000 guitar, which is a little more than I was comfortable spending, ended up getting a new one off Ebay for $800. I am honestly fucking shocked at the difference between a $500 guitar and a $1000 guitar. I didn't figure there would be THAT much difference, but holy shit.

This is the meanest sounding guitar that's ever run through one of my amps (and I've had buddies bring theirs over to play) with no effects at all, by a mile and a half. I'm not into noodling around, I'm into crunchy, guitar driven metal, and this is built expressly for that purpose. The sustain and harmonics are out of this world. You get used to decent guitars with decent strings with crap intonation and then you pick up a professional grade guitar and everything you thought you knew goes out the window.

I don't even have the skill to properly make use of this thing. That's awesome!

rrr_img_4878.jpg

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Jamplay $99 sale is now active through December 31st.
Christmas gift question.

My older brother has been playing steadily for about 10 years now, and hes pretty fucking good. He can play SRV solos, tons of Metallica ect completely clean without mistakes. Hes self taught and plays every day for about 2 hours or so minimum. Would someone around that skill level get some use out of a month membership as a christmas present you think?

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm kind of lost as to what I might need or want.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you actually do know what you want or need: nothing just yet. Wait until youheara certain sound coming out of a certain piece of gear,thenyou want that sound and/or gear.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Christmas gift question.

My older brother has been playing steadily for about 10 years now, and hes pretty fucking good. He can play SRV solos, tons of Metallica ect completely clean without mistakes. Hes self taught and plays every day for about 2 hours or so minimum. Would someone around that skill level get some use out of a month membership as a christmas present you think?
I haven't been playing anywhere near that long. The friends I have shown stuff on Jamplay to tell me things like "You're gonna be better than I am pretty quick, because you've got better methods to learn more efficiently. 10 years ago, we had tabs printed off dot matrix printers, and half of them were wrong." It's hard to say if he'll get any use out of it, but if he's genuinely interested in music, there's more than enough musicians on there to talk about their stuff, and theory and higher end skills, and that should appeal to anyone who loves music.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I'm really tempted by the Jamplay sale, but I'm already paying for lessons and am really happy with my teacher. I probably don't NEED it, but it might be handy to have some different perspectives on how to do things.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I'm really tempted by the Jamplay sale, but I'm already paying for lessons and am really happy with my teacher. I probably don't NEED it, but it might be handy to have some different perspectives on how to do things.
Eh, not much else can be said about it man. It's a great value for the resources that are there. Either you've got the $100 laying around and are willing to devote it to your hobby, or you don't or don't think it's worth it.

Your guitar teacher isn't gonna be around at 2am when you can't sleep though
smile.png

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wow, buying a first amp is way more difficult than I anticipated. I'm looking for a practice/bedroom amp and I've kinda sort of narrowed things down to these:

Vox AC4
Blackstar HT1
Fender Pro Jr III
Peavey Vypyr 15
Orange Crush PiX CR20
Fender Blues Jr

This list is just from reading Internet forums and browsing websites. Frankly I'm not even sure if I know enough to know what I want/need. I like the idea of a tube amp, but I also like the idea of a modeling amp I can connect it to my PC or Ipad. My current thinking is to get the Peavey Vypyr as one (since its under $100) and then a second tube amp, in which case I'd get one of the Fenders.

Any comments or suggestions?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The Crush Pix (I'm assuming you found out about it from me) has been a great little practice amp for me so far. I like the built-in tuner and effects.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a little Line 6 Spider III (similar to the Crush PiX), and like it well enough. The built in effects are fun to play around with, and hopefully it will help me get an idea of what I want/need later on. Then, I can blow loads of cash on a sweet tube amp and pedal board.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Blues Jr is one of the best amps I've ever played through. There's a reason it's almost double the price of what it was when Fender first released it.

Is that a Pedaltrain under there? If so, I have the same one. Awesome boards.
It is indeed a Pedaltrain. Rock solid construction on that thing. It can be a bitch to lug around, but it can take a beating. Also, your board is insanely clean.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Wow, buying a first amp is way more difficult than I anticipated. I'm looking for a practice/bedroom amp and I've kinda sort of narrowed things down to these:

Vox AC4
Blackstar HT1
Fender Pro Jr III
Peavey Vypyr 15
Orange Crush PiX CR20
Fender Blues Jr

This list is just from reading Internet forums and browsing websites. Frankly I'm not even sure if I know enough to know what I want/need. I like the idea of a tube amp, but I also like the idea of a modeling amp I can connect it to my PC or Ipad. My current thinking is to get the Peavey Vypyr as one (since its under $100) and then a second tube amp, in which case I'd get one of the Fenders.

Any comments or suggestions?
Just bought my first guitars in 20 years and am going through the same process. You may or may not have seen these threads :

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-centr...200-bucks.html

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-centr...istortion.html

Isn't there a major guitar show with lots of new stuff announced around January ? From what I've read Fender are likely to bring out a new range of amps as they discontinued their G-Dec 3 series. Also read the Mustang I and II are decent amps for the bedroom ?

All this is just reading up. I am so hopelessly out of the loop on where hardware is at. I want a 5W tube home practise amp.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The Blues Jr is one of the best amps I've ever played through.
Yeah, I totally don't know jack shit about an amp's sound yet or anything. The Crush PiX is letting me do what I want to do right now though, which is practice with a variety of different sounds and effects.

Tenks

Got my Agile Hawk (aka Strat knock off) yesterday. I haven't had much a chance to play around on it but it does seem to have a nice vintage tone to it. Certainly a completely different guitar than my Schecter. I will say the build quality, materials and visuals are knocking my socks off. For the price the guitar cost I couldn't imagine finding a better deal anywhere.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
That looks really nice. I think a Strat copy of some sort is going to be my next guitar. Although I'm curious about Telecasters as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thinking about picking up an ENGL Savage after I get my taxes done in the new year. Anyone know what the used market looks like on these things in terms of pricing and availability?

What about new?

I may go new, but really enjoy doing the whole used/trade thing on amps.

Tenks

Managed to noodle around on the Hawk for a few hours. It is fun but I still see my Schecter being the guitar I pick up most times. Naturally both guitars are suited for completely different styles of music. Being the metal head I am the Schecter can emulate that tone 100x better than a single coil. But for clean/lightly distorted tone the guitar sounds great. Or at least much better than you'd expect a $140 thing to sound.