The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think the new Big Wreck album is very solid. They seem to change up their sound slightly from album to album but it's still got that distinctive sound.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
PRS SE are very good. I've only played one type I didn't really find that impressive (and it was baritone so meh).

They've started creeping into S2 and almost into used regular territory, though. Saw a sweet new custom 24 SE, was tagged at like $750.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
\m/

IMG_1473.JPG

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm flying up from Louisiana to see them in New York on Friday and Boston on Saturday. Can't fucking wait!

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The show was outstanding. We got there early enough to get a seat along the wall about four feet from the stage. Our view of the stage was completely unobstructed, except for that one pole. I managed to snag a picture of Ian Thornley staring right at me.

I got pictures of all of his guitars, too, and upside down blurry shots of his pedal board.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Last night's show in New York was crazy. Ian's dad was in the crowd and he got emotional a few times, but it didn't interfere with his guitar playing. He was absolutely killing it!

Pic from the soundcheck.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Finally got to pick this up today (2 x Celstion Vintage 30, 2 x Crate GT65, single input for 100w head and 2 inputs that split things for 2 x 50w). Sorry to shill so hard but Petras at Atlas Cabinets is an absolute master craftsman and the V4 sounds fucking amazing through this. Against my better judgement I cranked things up to max and, literally, blew the dust off of everything in my living room. Cheap hipster beers, a loop pedal and Mogwai Fear Satan for the rest of tonight, get back to business on Saturday. The neighbors are not happy.

IMG_20170307_100807917-01.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There has to be a word for this can someone help me out. When you finger a chord but only play certain strings of it (think Wish You Were Here) what is that called? Do they just get a completely different chord name so there isn't really a word for it?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The latter not arpeggio

Generally it's either an inversion or a simplified/alternate fingering of the chord. There's no one magic answer here because of different tonal qualities and emphasis. Generally the only "different" sounding ones will be your inversions though, IE making the bass note the major third instead of the root note, etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Setup my guitar to C#(1.5 steps down), covering bolt thrower for Halloween this year. Gonna be fun since their songs are so easy

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Does anyone else have this dirt-cheap, tube-hybrid-modeling amp? Fender Super-Champ X2 15W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

It's fun/quality as hell for the money. I have a celestion greenback in it now but I'm thinking of changing it out for something that either barks better (Jensen C) or sounds more Fender-tubish (the stock Fender).

If you haven't plugged into one, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It plays above its price.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Does anyone else have this dirt-cheap, tube-hybrid-modeling amp? Fender Super-Champ X2 15W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

It's fun/quality as hell for the money. I have a celestion greenback in it now but I'm thinking of changing it out for something that either barks better (Jensen C) or sounds more Fender-tubish (the stock Fender).

If you haven't plugged into one, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It plays above its price.

My dad grabbed one of those when he was trying to re-teach himself to play electric, nice little amp. Have an uncle wanting to get into playing that bought a 90's american std tele about ten years ago that has been collecting dust and I recommended it to him but he's insisting on going solid state for the cost savings.

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Does anyone else have this dirt-cheap, tube-hybrid-modeling amp? Fender Super-Champ X2 15W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

That's the one I've got, great for practicing in the house and sounds great (to my amateur ears).

• 1Like