The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I say yes because the Blues Jr. is awesome and you'll use it forever.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that was my thought too. The various things that the Digitech can do are cool, but I'll probably at most use 25% of them ever, and I'd rather get my base tone better. The Blues Jr. should do that.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Suspect you will find the 15W too loud for home use and learning. Look at the Blackstar and Marshall 5W and 1W combos and find a shop where you can try them out and wind them up so you can appreciate what so special about tubes.

I'd go for one of the Marshall 1W combos that has a 0.1W switch.

I think one of the worst mistakes a new guitarist can make is get an amp that they think is 'quiet' enough for home use and will be 'loud' enough for when they join a band. Especially if you are buying a tube amp.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Suspect you will find the 15W too loud for home use and learning. Look at the Blackstar and Marshall 5W and 1W combos and find a shop where you can try them out and wind them up so you can appreciate what so special about tubes.

I'd go for one of the Marshall 1W combos that has a 0.1W switch.

I think one of the worst mistakes a new guitarist can make is get an amp that they think is 'quiet' enough for home use and will be 'loud' enough for when they join a band. Especially if you are buying a tube amp.
I will admit that I do not have a tube amp, but my 40w Cube is in no way too loud for home. And 40w is WAY overkill for home.

It doesn't always need to be on 11.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Gonna go try a few things at GC, including the Blues Jr and a Vox AC4TV I've been reading a lot of good things about.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Picked up the Blues Jr. after all. Tone-wise, even my newbie ears could tell that it was the nicest thing among the options I was looking at.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Not much of interest came out of NAMM this term but this caught my eye :

SOftware editor for Toneprint :

http://www.tcelectronic.com/toneprint-editor/

The Toneprint Editor allows guitarists to build their own custom version of a Toneprint from the ground up, from sounds to the range of knobs and everything in between. An intuitive slider-based UI, realtime changes and easy storing of sounds allows guitarists and bassists alike to easily and quickly craft the sounds they want to hear and pair them with the best TC Electronic effects out there.

A spokesman for TC Electronic said:

"What really sets the TonePrint editor apart is the depth with which guitarists and bassists can craft tones. Far from 'be-all-end-all' pedals where the only real difference is which preset you load into the pedal, the TonePrint Editor starts at zero, and from there anything is possible, from the function and range of knobs to effect parameter behavior and everything in between."

Tore Mogensen, Product Manager for Guitar at TC Electronic told us, "TonePrint turned into the perfect storm. Guitarists love the effects and love to download TonePrints via the app and from the web and because they dug the sounds all those famous guitarists made so much, their desire to have a go at it themselves grew.
"And that made us want to deliver the editor to the guitar community which makes TonePrint unique in the amount of sounds that truly represent everyone who plays guitar, from the biggest star to the dedicated tone tweakers out there and that makes TonePrint as a concept even stronger - it's all of us making these great sounds.
"I love the thought of a young aspiring guitarists maybe creating the next classic reverb tone and people taking it and tweaking it to perfection - or what they see as perfection, anyway. It's a really organic and cool way of looking at things and since we offer the editor for free, everyone can join and we have really cool plans for expansion of this concept in the future!"

TonePrint Editor Main Features
. Build Custom Versions of Renowned TC Effects from Scratch
. Complete Control over All Effect Parameters and Effect Behavior
. Customizable Knob Functions and Knob Range
. Intuitive Slider-based Interface
. Live Auditioning of Sounds - Make Changes on the Fly and Get Direct Results
. Absolutely Free!
. Available for PC and Mac.

Pricing and Availability:
Price: Free
Available March 23rd 2013

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
BTW if anyone has a Nexus 10 or similar larger tablet Ultimate Guitar has a Tabs Pro app that is pretty nice. It is basically the Pro tabs they have on their website but shrunk down for tablet viewing. So now I just load up the app on my tablet, put the tablet on the sheet music holder and use that. Works out pretty nice. Still plays the song and everything for you so it's great if you're completely tempo inept like myself.

I tried it on my Nexus 7 and felt it was too small to really see the music.

Rhaiq_sl

shitlord
Yay first post on new forums.
biggrin.png

Does anyone have suggestions on a good wah? I have an original crybaby but I don't care for it much. Been looking at the Bad Horsie 2 but there are so many choices.

I'd also like to express my love for the Blackstar HT-5R. Best sounding bedroom amp I've ever used. Does very well at lower volumes and you should be able to get a good tone without disturbing other people, as long as you don't live in a house or apartment with paper thin walls. Bonus points for having an aux input so you can play downloaded backup tracks through your amp instead of having to use a separate audio source. I'm pretty sure it won't keep up with a drummer and band though, and if you're into heavier stuff you'll need an overdrive to give it some extra kick.

The rest of my shit:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ EMG 81/85
Gibson Les Paul Custom stock
Ibanez S470 that hasn't been touched in about a year
Keeley mod SD-1
Various other cheap shit (chorus, delay, tuner, noise gate)
Only using the SD-1 and tuner for the most part until I get a power supply on my board.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Have you checked out the Dunlop 535Q? I've had it for years. Love it.

Rhaiq_sl

shitlord
I haven't checked it out before, but I do like the features. Like I said, there are so many, and google search brings up a thousand different people with a thousand different answers. I was looking for a true bypass but to be fair, I don't have a lot of effects so I don't think it's a huge issue.

I guess I should ask, have you used the original Crybaby much? It sounds pretty awful to me, but I am a wah noob so maybe I'm just bad.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to have an original CryBaby and I wasn't a big fan because the effect wasn't prevalent enough. As for true bypass, I've used theBuddaanda RMC modeland think they're pretty great.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I know I posted this about a dozen times on the old site, but I never get sick of it. Pretty much the best lead tone ever. Marco is a fucking monster, what a fantastic player.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I haven't checked it out before, but I do like the features. Like I said, there are so many, and google search brings up a thousand different people with a thousand different answers. I was looking for a true bypass but to be fair, I don't have a lot of effects so I don't think it's a huge issue.

I guess I should ask, have you used the original Crybaby much? It sounds pretty awful to me, but I am a wah noob so maybe I'm just bad.
True bypass mod for the crybaby?

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/546

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I'd call him a douche, but there's a pretty solid chance that's not even the douchiest thing he's done this year.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That chick in the video doing rhythm guitar is so fucking annoying to watch